E/B Games Exclusive?

Menchise

On the BCM box art is a label that says "Electronics Boutique Exclusive". I visited an EB store in Brisbane and asked them for an estimated shipping date. They told me that they are not going to receive any shipments, and that I should try a different store when the game is released. What's going on?

I think the SC was saying that currently only EB in the US have the offer but he/they were looking into doing the offer elsewhere aswell. I know I went into EB over the weekend and they had no idea what I was on about they didn't even have a release date.

Well, tonight I took that trip to my neighborhood EB Store. They have this huge, beautiful box infront of the store. This box is so beautiful I wanted to take it home with me.

Seriously, I kept looking at it and picturing it standing next to my PC!

Now to appreciate the scale of this box do the following:

Take 18 standard PC game boxes and stand them 3 wide by 3 high by 2 deep. Now imagine them all rapped in the new BCM box art. This box literaly is one of the most beautiful boxes I have ever seen.

Hey, SC, can you or EB sell those promotional boxes, I want one!

[ 05-25-2001: Message edited by: GREG MILLER ]

Guest $iLk

Actually I thought about asking the EB store in my area if I could purchase it, but then decided against it so they wouldn't mistake me for the type of gamer in the college dropout thread- you know the one who masturbates profusely while playing video games that are too fun.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Yes. North America does include Canada, doesn't it? Well then.

Well, at the top of this thread, they mentioned the good ol' U. S. of A, but they failed to mention us Knuckleheads.

As an aside, I checked with my Lougheed Mall EB just a few hours ago, and they're getting it in the middle of next month.

Coincidentally, I managed to coincide a coincidental purchase of a coincidentally better joystick to match up with the coincidental date that it should be coincidentally arriving.

What a coincidence!

• 2 weeks later...

I recently learned of the EB exclusive. Unless I'm mistaken I also read elsewhere that Derek wasn't necessarily going to choose any other distributor after the EB 90 day exclusive expires.

This seems to suck rather a bit to foreign fans. Adding p&p, local vat and import tax brings BCM up to easily $75 total (yes, I know from bitter experience).

While one can say "Hey, it's still worth it, isn't it?", I'd counter with "Yes, but that's $25 to the frickin government and others, not Smart & co".

There's a reason the street price is <$50. If it would sell just as much at $75 chances are rather good it would be priced to fit. It thus seems likely BCM is gonna lose out bigtime on the European market as it will be

1) Harder to get (having to order online as opposed to stopping by the store and getting the game instantly), and

2) Rather more expensive than most are going to considering paying.

Noone wants BCM to enter Europe via anonymous ftp instead of in shrink wrap. Please tell me I'm wrong here and there are actually some euro distributor in the works.

Edit: Make that "foreign fans in countries with no EB outlets".

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: Mascot ]

I think that the 90 exclusive will be exclusivelly EB in USA. Then after those 90 days even the Electronics Boutiques in overseas will be able to get it.

The other countries that don't have EB will get it if the other stores will want to order it after the 90 days exclusive with EB is over. After the 90 days I think it's fair game for whoever wants it.

That sounds like a very good way to alienate a fanbase. "Yeah I know y'all love the game. But you aren't gonna be able to buy it for at least 3 months after release unless you shell out a few tens of bucks extra for shipping and all."

While it's perfectly understandable things get released in Europe a bit later than in the US, cause the US simply is so big it sucks up the first few batches of units, it seems a strange choice to lock out most of the world for three months by choice. (Assuming this exclusive is for US EB only)

Oh well, time will tell I guess.

Mascot, do me a favor and STOP!. You don't have frigging clue what you're talking about.

I've done the deal, and thats the way it is. EB do NOT have rights to the game outside the US. During that 90-day period, if I get a good offer from a distributor, I will do a deal which releases the game in Europe as soon as it is practically possible. Anyone buying from the US (you can't anymore, and not for 90-days, because EB are no longer allowed to sell it outside of North America) will have to pay the price as-is. Thats the price for not waiting. Nothing to do with me and there is NOTHING that I can do about it.

Since EB are no longer allowed to sell outside of NA, anyone who wants it, can have someone in the US buy it and ship it for them.

Thats the way it is.

Lighten up SC. If you read my first post it was a QUESTION as to whether the EB exclusive was in fact as exclusive as it seemed. And whether that did indeed impact foreign buyers in the way it would seem to do.

It was not a badger to change anything. It was not a call to airdrop free copies over a few continents. It was a question for clarification. Which has now been given. Case closed, nothing further on the matter need adressing as far as I'm concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

Went into my Local EB store today, if you want to call 40 miles away as local, and saw the big box hanging right at the door of the store for BCM!! It was VERY cool!! With EB Exclusive and all those fun marketing things that they do.

I felt proud, let me tell you!!! I asked them what they were going to do with the display when they at some point decided to take it down, He said that they would throw it away, well I said, take my number down and I will come pick it up when you take it down. He said that they no longer did that and that it was going to be thrown away.

Boy, now I am frustrated, It would finish off my 3000AD collection, I have an original boxed version of BC3000 1.0, original boxed version of 2.0, have a fully printed manual, but I need to buy SC's official version.. but anyway, this would have really put my collection together into a complete package!! and they say they are going to throw it AWAY!! I wanted to cry, IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!! and dammit, I WANT IT!!!

But anyway, thought that I would share my frustration!!

well shoot, looked around and it seems the link to buying the galaxy map and the manual for BC3K 2.0 are now gone, you got any more of those laying around SC? If so, I want to buy them!!

[ 06-17-2001: Message edited by: Jaguar ]