Release Date

Guest HAL Beta

Believe me, you DON'T want a release date... As I said in another post, I've been waiting for Silent Hunter II and they delay it a month a time... So first we see August the 21, and we all get happy because that is soon, but then they delay ut to september the 9th, and we get a bit pissed, and then october... and now finally december. Every delay gets us more and more disappointed. But with BCM's excellent release date we don't have to worry! It gets out when its done and thats it. We can't complain about a set delay because there was never a date that it was promised to get out on.

And to the Supreme Commander: Keep up the good work, Derek!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Edited: SC beat me to the part about EB's preorders]

As for why the SC won't (or perhaps even can't) set a firm release date... Well, SC's already yelled at us for taking the thread off-topic so I'll leave my silly explanation to molder on my hard drive.

Short & "serious" version: most developers (myself included, and perhaps even our SC) are generally incapable of reliably estimating the durations of tasks. Maybe it's feature creep, maybe it's the desire to nail one more bug, maybe it's the vagueness of some of the development process. I don't know quite why, but developers in general just can't seem to do it; researchers have even done even done studies on this. Hence you get paradigms like "Extreme Programming" (getting off-topic, so I'll stop there).

If you really want to know "Are we there yet?" do what the rest of us do: watch the Version Control File. Particularly the section at the very end. As it gets shorter the release date draws closer; as it grows the date gets further. Speaking of which, we haven't had an update since the 9th of this month, hint hint...

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

ummmm, I hope this isn't seen as a dumb question but...

"As I've said before, I know for a FACT that most who haven't already pre-ordered or at the very least, in the upcoming weeks, are NOT likely to EVER get a copy of this game"

I pre-ordered it at a swedish importer a while ago that said they would take in the game as soon as it were released. Now, should I change the pre-ordering to EB's site instead (yes, I don't care if it's gonna cost me anymore. GOT to have this game...) or wait and hope they get it in a resonable time?

quote:

Particularly the section at the very end. As it gets shorter the release date draws closer; as it grows the date gets further. Speaking of which, we haven't had an update since the 9th of this month, hint hint...

Thats because (a) I haven't uploaded the current version yet (B) that version will be the last public version, as I have now cleaned up that bottom section (the VCF is already too long) and am maintaing that TODO list in a separate file on the secure server.

From where am sitting, if I were to guess, I'd say that BCM should be in stores by the middle of September. All things being equal.

quote:

I pre-ordered it at a swedish importer a while ago that said they would take in the game as soon as it were released. Now, should I change the pre-ordering to EB's site instead (yes, I don't care if it's gonna cost me anymore. GOT to have this game...) or wait and hope they get it in a resonable time?

You might want to ask them just WHO they plan on getting the game from. Considering that only EB and 3000AD (via my BMT Micro e-commerce site), will be selling the game until I sit down and go through the aggravation of dealing with international distributors.

You'll NEVER get the game from them, because they will NEVER get it from us. We don't sell to distributors.

You had better cancel your order and go place it with BMT Micro via our SALES page here on the site.

Why stopping the updates for the VCF?

The VCF is like the heart-beat of the game : its what makes you know that its alive.

I check if there are updates each hour now because I'm waiting for the update... it's almost like if the VCF was the only thing that makes the wait worth it.

I'll pre-order when I'll have money for, and when I'll see a decent price. 75cnd is MUCH too MUCH for a game (that includes the shipping), whatever the game, except mmog's. In fact, I've never seen any game cost 75cnd except Everquest and UO. Most of the big games here cost at maximum 65cnd (42usd), generally 60cnd.

You see, my computer is much more important than BCM (logically), and my budget is quite limited even thought my financial resources have substancially grown.

75cnd is about half the money that will be missing by mid-september to pay my video card.

(damn it's the fifth time I'm trying to post...)

[ edit: and i had a triple post... phew...internal server error ]

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Speaking of decisions to make, I have tied up a big part of my finances to get hold of a GeForce 3 and BCM. I am holding off on paying my power bill and credit card bill until the last minute so I don't break my account past the zero balance

So you can see perhaps my priorities are off. This game is one of the things I've waited for and wanted in my life, coming in second was the end to the 2000 presidential election. hehe.

However long it takes doesn't matter, though I am sure the boards will be alot quieter and have far less duplicate topics, ie. "is it done yet"

That galaxy map will look so good over my computer, hehe. Well, release dates at EB made me angry at first until I realized that they weren't actual release dates, but "possible canditates".

The ebgames, pre-order was just that - a way to order BCM before it was complete. so in reality no date ever really existed. I never saw one post from the SC stating that "This is the ebgames deadline - get ready..." That is the same thing that caused the first release of bc3k to flop, because SC was taken out of the loop.

The only time I could see taking a preorder date seriously is if the game has "gone-gold"

Well as far as release dates, I don't suppose the real release date will cause as much fuss as the ones now. People will just breathe a sigh of relief and say "finally" and play and play and play and the bickering will be a distant memory when they find out what they had been waiting for... THE GAME.

Look at the last past! It shrinked, and alot!

quote:

This is the same procedure used in the past BC games. Why is this strange to you, all of a sudden?

Because I wasn't there when bc3k was in developpement.

quote:

I guess that means you won't be posting any more nonsense, once I remove it?

Hmm.. maybe not... I'll have new stuff to say...

quote:

Only a complete idiot would pre-order the game from EBgames.com, rather than pre-order from their local EB store in Canada. Even if you live outside of a town that carries it, shipping within Canada would be cheaper than shipping from US to Canada.

Well, the complete idiot will find a local EB store and try to pre-order the game

quote:

....and we care because?

Well.... errr... hem...

quote:

Well then, you have decisions to make, don't you?

I see nightmares to come!

Cheers

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Epsilon 5, after the SC said that he had updated the VCF, I expected to hear your usual "w00t!" lol.

I see the bugs getting squashed in large strides here lately. Soon as those pesky WIP issues get handled we can start obsessing again, (as if we haven't been already )

Well E5, I haven't been on AW in awhile because I've been busy, but I think we need to update our additions to the village with more BCM stuff, what do ya say?

Well before I stray off topic I will end this post with the information that I hax0red off of the SC's sig.

The ReLeAsE DaTe !! ! ! ! ! ! :

quote:

when its ready

LOL. I just love the way SC puts everyone in their place. This thread is priceless. LOL. And this:

"I'll let someone else translate my post for you, since I must have missed something in my Swahili to English translation."

That just got me rolling all over again. LOL.

SC, don't loose your sense of humor and I just hope that you are not actually upset when you have to straighten things out, because stress is bad for health.

I'm with Ep 5 on the Canadian pricing. Ouch. Our cheap dollar is great when it comes to getting you Yanks to buy our manufactured goods, but turn things around and suddenly it kinda sucks.

Oh well, I wasn't planning on buying food next month anyway.

I can't believe the game is this close. I'm also with Ep 5 on the VCF. It's like... I dunno... the count down clock in Times Square. (Or the Atomic Doomsday clock, take your pick ) I don't check it every hour. Just every three hours. Seriously, checking the VCF is a part of my daily ritual. Has been for a while. When the game is released I think I'll actually miss it. It's odd I know, but it's like watching something grow. It's like someone planted a seed a long time ago and now finally it will flower and bear fruit. Tasting the fruit will be sweet, (oh will it EVER be sweet!!!) but watching it grow, well, it's an experience in itself.

Suddenly I feel some philosophical rant coming on. I'll stop now. I'll end by saying, hey Epsilon, at least we can look forward to the VCF for GCO!!!

quote:

I see the bugs getting squashed in large strides here lately. Soon as those pesky WIP issues get handled we can start obsessing again, (as if we haven't been already

heh, you guys ain't half as bad as the newbie Beta testers were (the new gits on the block) late last year. Which is why I have WIP *and* bug sections in that VCF. It is a deliberate deterrent aimed at preventing them from flooding me with bug reports about known issues. EVERYTHING in that list is already in the game. I have a WIP specific section because I haven't internally wrapped up those issues yet, and until I do, I don't encourage reports about them.

So, one day you're gonna look at the VCF (and though the lower sections will be gone), you'll be seeing version numbers like 0.01GC (GC = Gold Candidate). And then, finally 1.00 Gold and there will be much rejoicing in the land.

Get this- apart from some of the known wishlist items which I defered to a post-release patch (e.g multiplayer, orbital approach, STO silos etc), my wishlist is currently about 17 items long!! (no, don't ask, am not making it public), so there will be a lot more to come, post-release.....assuming I have the time of course. If not, there's always GCO or the yet to be announced BCM add-on.

Anyway, I'll leave the VCF online a tad longer - we don't want any mass suicides now, do we?

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

oh, I forgot. If you guys think am harsh. Her is just a sample of the kind of shit I have to put up with.

quote:

Subject: pick a day and stick to it

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 01:54:44 -0500

X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4522.1200

thanks much for getting up on there and all.... just get me the game and let me be the judge.

i'm beginning to laugh every time i see you moved it back...once to my birthday and though i might get it then. To no avail obviously.

granted you have an impressive task, your busy, yada yada yada. but the truth be told your release goes anything like tribes 2 and your done buddy. no more releases for you as your credibility goes to hell.

bringing me to my next and final portion of my own little soapbox rant that i'm sure will be completely overlooked in your BUSY BUSY life. the constant pushing back makes us hardcore gamers nervous, if it doesn't work on some of our bizzare systems (mine for example is 1.3 athlon 1/2 GIG DDR and the clincher VOODOO 5 5500) we'll wait till you get all your patches out pirate the game and pay you squat cause you screwed a bunch of people from the start, like TRIBES 2. i'm not saying i'm this person, i really want your game to work, play like i hope, and allow me to waste many many more hours in front of my already keyboard worn interface to entertainment.

in short get it out soon don't screw us! maybe i'll just make that the subject cause it's all you'll probably read anyway

Now, how would YOU respond to something like this? Here's my response

quote:

Do me a favor. Go **** yourself, and don't send me ANY more email

[ 08-16-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Listen up everyone I didn't want to do this but since were on the topic let me explain:

My Grandmothers friend, Olga, has a neighbor, Ruffus, who lost his cousin, Tito's, dog named Shiznit. Let me describe "Shiznit", he is a 1-eyed bulldog with no balls and a 4in. cut on his left ear. Plus he only has 3 legs. Now poor Shiznit is getting ready to pass away and Tito (the cousin remember) needs $50 to put Shiznit asleep. Well somehow the question came to me from my Grandma

Grandma: "MG will you please give $50 to Tito to put Shiznit asleep?".

I thought over this real hard (.0003 sec.) and said "**** NO!!! I need my friend Derek to have my money he needs it worse then Shiznit". She proceeded to ask me why "Derek" needed the money more then Tito she asked if "Derek was on crack or needed money to pay his Pimp?"

I laughed at her rediculous assumption and said no he needs the money to hire hitmen to take out all the people asking stupid questions. And you know what my grandma did she gave me $50 bucks to assist Derek in his cause.

So...this update of the VCF is last public beta update, if I understand your Swahili correctly Like a bunch of others, I've been a regular VCF reader/checker; it was the first thing I did when I sat down in front of the PC in the morning. So thanks for the update; that you even maintained and updated a public VCF has always been appreciated. I'm going to miss that little tradition. At least till next month, I guess.

Well, let's all hope mid-September is IT. And remember everyone, he said "guess", and "all things being equal", and September does have 30 days in it... Let's let the man work!

LOL!! --> MidnightGreen. I can see you'll fit right in here - you're just as insane as the rest of the regs.

quote:

So...this update of the VCF is last public beta update, if I understand your Swahili correctly Like a bunch of others, I've been a regular VCF reader/checker; it was the first thing I did when I sat down in front of the PC in the morning. So thanks for the update; that you even maintained and updated a public VCF has always been appreciated. I'm going to miss that little tradition. At least till next month, I guess.

I'll keep it online a while longer. I updated it for public viewing didn't I?

quote:

Well, let's all hope mid-September is IT. And remember everyone, he said "guess", and "all things being equal", and September does have 30 days in it... Let's let the man work!

hehe

SC, you have made a smart decission by telling EB world "NO RETURNS", and if they still accept returns then I assume you will get paid the original price for the game and they will be stuck with the used one right?

Guest KeroChan425

After carefully reading this entirely post and all. I decided, I'm just gonna go to EB and buy the game and sit back and let finish the hard work he is doing. I do have to say thanx you very much for BC3Kad...It was mad nice and i love it. I'm sorta addicted so if anyone want to donate some money to me so i can get help, please do.