Everything you always wanted to ask...

Papi

The E2 demo is vastly superior to the first one in terms of it's power. I suggest you find the *ahem* eleven hours to download it. Me and my T3 downloaded it in three hours.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahem...

SC

i beleve that

quote:

In general, how much does your armor help you? In other words, how many shots can you take on average, with an average gun and average armor before croaking? (sorry if I'm being too general here, but are we talking Counterstrike(head shots are lethal) or Duke Nukem(not even God can take that much damage and still be alive))

is a valid qestion

I mean will your life be like in BCTE (little more than CS) or like rainbow 6 (near miss will kill you) or like Duke nukem or quake or doom or........

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: Baloogan ]

quote:

Originally posted by Baloogan:

Ahem...

SC

i beleve that

is a valid qestion

No. Its not a valid question. I didn't want to say that it was a dumb question because I didn't want to be rude - AND - waste my time typing up all the crap I'm about to.

Its a dumb question.

Armor = protective gear (kinda like ships that have shields and armor)

Now, please tell me why personnel would have body armor if it was useless?

And while we're on the subject, with this many weapon and ammo combos, as well as factors related to weapon rate of fire, armor breach levels, distance of shot etc - HOW - am I supposed to answer a question like that? You may as well ask me about the performance and crew specs for a carrier. At which point I'd tell you to RTFA.

Which is why I said, wait for the game.

As for head shots, I think everyone knows by now that I disabled it in order to keep the game's rating at T instead of an M.

quote:

Originally posted by Josh:

many thanks to hmhm for the answer.

The only reason I waste time with these kinda questions is because I have a slow connextion and it takes about 11 hours to dl the demos. I dl the episode 1, and it worked, then I upgraded my graphics card, and now it won't even start...

READ the BCM FAQ to-wit z-buffer setting for Episode1

I assume this is because it is buggy... I don't have another 11 hours to download the ep2 demo to see if it is any better. As far as I can tell from the specs posted on the web page, my system is pretty much at the "recomended" level... but then again the low grade demo won't run at all. Then there is the fact that the episode 2 demo doesn't even use the same kernal as the final release...

So I thought I'd ask the beta testers. It seemed like that was what this thread was for. I wanted to see what people with more knowledge and experience with the game than I thought about how it would perform on my system, or if I needed to make further changes to make it all worthwhile...

I'm sorry if this is offenisive to the SC in someway. If it is too much trouble to answer then don't bother answering... If it is so evil then delete it, but shut the hell up with your rude bull crap because it serves abosolutly no purpose.

I already went out an bought a new 3d accelerator just so this game, which I already paid for, will run if it ever actually gets shipped to me. So maybe you could cut some slack for a fan of the original game, in spite of its bugs and flaws, and in spite of its creators obnoxious attitude, who is trying to upgrade their system for no other reason to accomodate your game.

If anything you should be flattered by the trouble I'm going to. Maybe you should hire someone to do your pr.

Flattery will get you nowhere fast on this forum. Search the BCM Demo threads for Episode1
fixes
. This forum has a powerful search engine - use it

TTFN

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Josh

1. Yes, the demo has bugs. Doh! But thats not what is preventing it from running. If you didn't read and understand the FAQ, you only have yourself to blame.

2. The min and rec specs for game are on the products page and are accurate.

3. You asked a question. You got an answer. If the answer was not satisfactory, thats something you'd have to live with.

Goodbye Josh. It was nice knowing you.

quote:

Originally posted by hmhm:

the requirement page doesnt give you a clue... I recently tried demo 2, and I thought these graphics isnt that demanding hehe. well they are, refeering to the bloke who asked that question how it would run on his system compared to mine i got

athlon 750mhz

256 mb RAM

geforce 2 MX 32mb

im not the typical gamer freak that buys every new card that comes out so dont bother writing i should buy a new graphic card hehe

anyway i tried to play it in 960*7xx something and the usual 1024*768 everything 16 bit

40-50 fps in space flight which I think drops to 25 bps or less when action ...

then I tried planetary thing and walked around I got like 21-28bps,

and what I am curious about if you can answer which I think many others have questioned before but you dislead them so that they should buy it

if you have modified the kernel of the game so it runs faster? and have any beta testers noticed any increase in fps?

PS: negativity creates negativity= creates people like bin laden...

I'm going to say this ONE LAST time before I resort to mass bannings. Like I've said before, I have no reservations about banning everyone. So, I wouldn't test my resolve if I were you. (and I don't mean you specifically)

1. The min and rec specs for the game are accurate

2. Just because a game posts 42fps, doesn't mean its going to remain constant. And just because you WANT to run the game at high resolutions, doesn't mean that you SHOULD if you don't have the horsepower for it.

3. The Beta VCF for the game, which has been online for almost one year (next month), CLEARLY shows (a) the kernel revisions (B) the changes between kernels.

And I deliberately left that file online until BCM is actually out, then it becomes obsolete and will be removed from the server.

4. The demos also indicate what kernel they are using.

Now, if some of you don't want to do the work involved with researching the info, you will NEVER be able to play the game. Period.

And its this same behavior we try not to encourage here because then, even with a detailed manual and a TON of resources, we'll still have downright dumb and repetive questions littering my forum. I've said it before, when I come here, I want to spend no more than 10-15mins in one pass. The less crap I have to wade through, the less time I spend here on unimportant issues.

Similarly, newbies or experts alike, don't want to wade through mountains of garbage. Because then, through NO fault of their own, they won't find what they are looking for - OR - they end up wasting time looking through pages and pages of false and inaccurate hits returned by the site's search program. The result? They give up and post anyway. And what do you have? More often than not a question and/or thread that has already been discussed to death.

Wanton acts of stupidity are only going to get you killed in the game or banned from the site.

Look, I visit gaming sites across the net and NONE of them are even ONE iota as organized or eccelectic as this forum. The BC suite of games are military themed. While most of the **VOLUNTEER** moderators and admins here (like Mike, Gallion etc) are mild mannered and not easily rattled, that doesn't mean they agree with my methods. The fact is, I don't give a shit. They can do what the heck they like (edit posts, prevent people from posting, ban people etc) all on their own. So, just because a mod or admin goes the extra mile, doesn't mean that whatever action/post they sanctioned, is acceptable. They make their decisions - I won't override it. But if they make one which I consider too mild, I will take action.

Case in point. Gallion bothered to respond to Josh. I just deleted his profile and banned him from my site.

So I've lost another sale? pah! Thats the LEAST of my worries. I do this [game development] for FUN. If I was in this for money, I'd be back at IBM or doing work that actualy pays me what I'm worth. So, anyone who thinks that I go to sleep at night lamenting the loss of a sale because I put some pimple-face jackass in his place, doesn't know ANYTHING about Derek Smart.

If people want to bit their nose to spite their face - thats their problem. Get pissed. Return or don't buy my game, see if I care. I'm sure that somewhere in the next life, there will be developed games like mine, but until then, I'm it.

Nobody has to frigging like me and I don't give a sh*t. I'm not out to win a popularity contest. I'm a game developer, not a goddamn politician. This is what I do. And I'm damn good at it. As such, I can afford to be as much of a prick as I want to people who just have a hard time playing by MY rules in MY domain.

That is all

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

My stupid repeditive questions. I thought you found them annoying.

Nah. You're a quick study. Quick studies get a pass every now and then.

Something you need to know is that when I look at posts, interact with folks here etc, I can easily tell who am gonna be talking to in this forum, five years from now....

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Just be looking at some of the past screenshots, specifically 7-24-2001 of trees and foliage. Those shots look awesome. Can anyone tell me whether forests are included in the gold release and if so exactly what we can expect to see ie small clusters of trees or blanket cover?

quote:

Originally posted by chris506:

Just be looking at some of the past screenshots, specifically 7-24-2001 of trees and foliage. Those shots look awesome. Can anyone tell me whether forests are included in the gold release and if so exactly what we can expect to see ie small clusters of trees or blanket cover?

None. I didn't enable it in the final release because I didn't have time to fully implement and test it. So I moved it to the wishlist item for the forthcoming add-on.

Okay. I've been searching posts for the last half hour or more and CANNOT find what I am looking for so I am going to ask this, even though I think I read something similar in another post. I noticed that in the demo there are different flight models to choose from. Are any of these realistic (newtonian) models, and are they possible to use in the final product? I suppose it would be hard to have a different AI version for each, or would the same one just handle all of them?

And a more general question, assuming there is no newtonian model, I was wondering what the reason was. I mean the Battle Cruiser games are so... um... complete I guess is the word for it, why did SC take the airplane in space route?

That's about "everything I always wanted to ask..."

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: salisbury ]

Here's a question I don't think was asked yet.

Is it possible to map the buttons of multifunction game controllers to perform standard functions within the game, or do you have to rely on the game controller's keymapping utilities???

As important, if the answer of the above question is the latter (having to use the keymapping utils) is BCM compatible with them (many games aren't)???

There is no newtonian model because if you use it then it would be only fair to have the computer use it too, but here comes the problem of "teaching" the computer to use that model and make him expert at it. But for what it's worth the flight model has been changed drastically from BC3000AD, and now handles pretty good. Bigger ships take longer to turn, less manuverable and have different speed attributes. Also bahave differently in planets atmosphere and space.

quote:

Originally posted by JJ:

okay some marine questions,

when you play as a marine can u ever be in command of npc troops or fight with against enemy npc troops in sp?

and how would you go abuot doing this?

I scripted one or two IA scenarios for the marine career which include NPC teams on your side.

The marine career does not have command control, so you can't order NPCs. To do that, you'd have to play a regular Commander career and order your own marines around.