Everything you always wanted to ask...

Papi

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by LordDavid:

They can be big enough to make my 1 GHz computer beg for mercy, especially around space stations. Very Impressive.

Hey, in the 1rst demo, I successfully made a 25 (more or less but near that) cap ship furball. I had the pleasure to see the AI at work

Wasn't slow (about 25fps), and my friend has a p3 533EB with a ATI rage fury MAXX 64mb. And that's BEFORE the optimisations

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Papi:

Epsilon 5:

COMMANDER

Supreme Commander: 500,000 Tacops Commander: 300,000 Strategic Commander: 200,000 Fleet Commander : 125,000 Commander: 75,000

EXPLORER: 75,000 MERCENARY: 50,000 SCIENTIST: 150,000 PARAMEDIC: 75,000 RAIDER: 25,000 TRADER: 100,000 ASSASSIN : 50,000 COMMERCIAL: 75,000 DIPLOMAT: 100,000

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Papi ]

you forgot the janitors!!!

I've used two PCs for testing BCM

Intel D815EEA desktop mobo with 384MB 133Mhz RAM P3 866Mhz CPU

Hercules 3D ProphetII GTS PRO (64MB DDR RAM) 2181drvs

Two 40Gig IBM ATA100 HDs

MS Sidewinder Pro FF

Adaptec 2904 SCSI card + Pioneer DVD

Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio.

Intel OR840 workstation mobo 512MB PC800Mhz Rambus, P3 800Mhz (no second processor out on loan)

NVIDIA RIVA TNT 16MB

Adaptec 39160 SCSI card with three Segate HD channel B

and Plextor PX-40TS and PX-W124TS CD Drives channel A

Creative SB live Platinum

PCI-0469 Ultra DMA IDE Control card with IBM ATA100 HDs (the onboard controller wont recognise the ide drives and Ghost won't work without it)

All hardware have the latest Bios's and latest drivers.

815 System

OPERATING SYSTEM: Win98SE or 2K

OS ENVIRONMENT: 1024x768x32

BCM ENVIRONMENT: 1024x768/32/32/Full-screen particle contrails

840 Systems

OPERATING SYSTEM: Win98SE or 2K

OS ENVIRONMENT: 1024x768x32

BCM ENVIRONMENT: 800x600/16/16/Full-screen

The beta has been very, very stable since February when I started, the only times it became unstable was when I installed drivers badly or corrupted the windows environment which of course has nothing to do with BCM.

Longest free flight game I've run, 8day 6hr 23 mins running day and night with no problems whatsoever.

I just love to find those obscure bugs, trouble was my explanation of them was not always up to scratch.

Trading in free flight is fun and very lucrative once you've extracted the info you need from the documentation, you soon run out of space to put things and end up with more money than you know what to do with.

Try trading with an Unarmed Transport and see how far you can get it does make life a little more tricky.

For the chicken livered just stay in Earthz and trade ADs from Galcom to Genesis and HT back not the most lucrative of trades but as safe as they come and one jump each way.

You really need those shield upgrades (well I do) when you take the fight to the enemy and remember to load up on those missiles and use them the auto reload is great its saved my ass many a time especially in my scripts.

Frame rates well I did experience a little slow down planet side before the code and AI was optimised but no problems since.

As a direct comparison with 3K you don't get any slow down of frame rates when playing the converted ACMs.

Ok relating to my previous questions. what does the AI do. When I asked if the AI ships appear randomly the answer was yes and no. Right now I'm confused and not confused! Just joking, but what does it mean? Is there any pattern to the AI? I'm just trying to figure out how the AI works in this game.

Btw, I keep trying to download the demo of this game, but at the times I've checked all the servers have been busy, so thats why I'm asking questions instead of finding out the answers myself in the demo. It sure seems like this game is going to sell like hot cakes.

Yeah, I get the feeling that BCM has more public appeal than BC3k had. (not that it detracted me any, as I like hard-core titles) I expect this forum to rapidly grow in the next month or two, so the fleets are getting ready for this wave of new recruits (ISS is anyway...)

quote:

Originally posted by Scott1:

Ok relating to my previous questions. what does the AI do. When I asked if the AI ships appear randomly the answer was yes and no. Right now I'm confused and not confused! Just joking, but what does it mean? Is there any pattern to the AI? I'm just trying to figure out how the AI works in this game.

There is no pattern.

And nobody can explain to you how it works.

You don't need to know how it works in order to play the game.

quote:

Btw, I keep trying to download the demo of this game, but at the times I've checked all the servers have been busy, so thats why I'm asking questions instead of finding out the answers myself in the demo. It sure seems like this game is going to sell like hot cakes.

Well thats not what this thread is for. Go play the demo.

ps: And the next time you post a topic to the wrong forum, your posting rights will be revoked. I'm not going to keep deleting your off-topic threads. You have been warned.

This forum was titled everything you wanted to ask, and what I wanted to ask was how the AI works, because I'm curios. I admit to being confused as to why this was the wrong place to ask that question. I love to ask things that I really don't need to know. If this is the wrong place to ask these types of questions please tell me what forum would be appropriate and I will be happy to post my questions there.

It was your demo question he was on about Scott1. You should've asked it in the Demo section (top ).

Relax kiddo this game will rock!!

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: Fendi ]

Very silly question (spent many minutes searching for answer to question...) but does the exchange rate on items change?

Yes. Check out the Economics 101 thread elsewhere on the forum.

TTFN

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

I have a question. SC said that instead of the "zones" model for space(earth zone, moon zone, mars zone etc), there will be a dynamicly moving space region thingy, which will have all the planets in a given solar system(and moons) orbiting around a star(which you can't fly to). What I'm curious of is, will jumpgates still be used? Or will ships just use the hyperdrive, like when flying to a relatively close-range object? Or will jumpgates have a different purpose?

mO:

quote:

I was wondering if there is some planet that has a cave big enough to hide my ship in.

lol, not caves in the first release version, maybe in patch?

R_wilco:

quote:

I have a question. SC said that instead of the "zones" model for space(earth zone, moon zone, mars zone etc), there will be a dynamicly moving space region thingy, which will have all the planets in a given solar system(and moons) orbiting around a star(which you can't fly to). What I'm curious of is, will jumpgates still be used? Or will ships just use the hyperdrive, like when flying to a relatively close-range object? Or will jumpgates have a different purpose?

I dunno where you got that from, there are zones and jumpgates in the BCM as there was in BC3K and they are used the same way. Earth and moon are now in the same zone.

quote:

Originally posted by Alazrian:

Very silly question (spent many minutes searching for answer to question...) but does the exchange rate on items change?

Not really on topic, but yes, it does. The inflation rate of stations change over time. The inflation rate influences the prices.

http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...ic&f=2&t=000761

Here's what SC posted:

quote:

In BCM the planets do orbit the Sun (now a 3D spatial object).

They also rotate (which is what gives the day/night cycles) in an orbital plane. If you look in the VCF, you will a description of how to check this using debug mode.

You're just not going to see this orbital plane or rotation, by sitting there staring at it .

So, I'll ask again. Given the way he described it, will jumpgates still have a purpose in BCM?

-EDIT

Ok, I've speculated on the idea of having "orbiting zones", if that's how it works.

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: R_wilco ]

quote:

Originally posted by R_wilco:

http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...ic&f=2&t=000761

Here's what SC posted:

So, I'll ask again. Given the way he described it, will jumpgates still have a purpose in BCM?

-EDIT

Ok, I've speculated on the idea of having "orbiting zones", if that's how it works.

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: R_wilco ]

And like the rest of the folks, I don't see what the heck my excerpt above, has to do with regions.

And quit speculating. There's NOTHING to speculate. The excerpt above is ENTIRELY UNRELATED to what you're asking.

As to what you're asking, Papi already replied.

I think I see what R_Wilco is saying. He's wondering if the planets relvolve around the sun, would the jump gates be "left behind", or would they revlolve around the sun with the planet?

Though I think I already know the answer (they revlove with the planet), I wanted to clarify what he was asking.