BCM Receives 77% @ PC GAMER

Dunedan

BCM has recieved a 77% rating at PC GAMER, it is a good score but far less than what BCM should get (my opinion).

What is everybody's thoughts about this??

Remember the rule about NOT having ANY spelling errors in thread subjects?

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that those guys are one of the BCM opposers and they can't give it a lower score because then it would be extremly rediculous so they try to lower the score with every little thing they dislike even if it's part of the game.

Yeah, when Max Payne gets a 90, you know something is wrong with the scoring, I would have given a 60 max, and BCM would have gotten a much higher score!! around 90-95, but then again, I been playing for years!! LOL

quote:

Jaguar posted on 10-13-2001

Yeah, when Max Payne gets a 90, you know something is wrong with the scoring, I would have given a 60 max, and BCM would have gotten a much higher score!! around 90-95, but then again, I been playing for years!! LOL

Yeah gotta agree with you there, in fact they are biased towards FPS like the last issue that I got, rated Half-Life as the No. 1 in the Top 50 games of all time. Man, Half-Life, there's nothing innovative about it, as far as I'm concerned, even if it's the only game being played online at the moment together with it's various mods.

Gimme X-Com anyday

Since when does PC Gamer ever has had any game reviewed correctly? I stopped my subscription to it a year ago 'cause their reviews on games were OBVIOUSLY done from playing the game for an hour or less. You know what rating they gave X-Com : Enemy Unknown? It was very low, and yet, a few months after that, the reviewed it AGAIN and gave it a high score just because other magazines had given it a high score.

Dont waste your money on gamer tabloids, the NATIONAL INQUIRER is more informative.

Andy docked the game points because of multiplayer. Thats what he was refering to in the Final Verdict where is says that it is incomplete. Here is how he clarifies that point via email.

As for the graphics issue, he has a Voodoo 5500. Enough said.

This was purely in reference to the unfinished MP component. I made no mention of any bugs in the review.

In BCM's case the lack of multiplayer in the initial release negates a sizeable chunk of the game's content (e.g. Marine and Fighter Pilot careers). I rarely knock off more than a few points (if any) for an AWOL multiplayer component (the single player game is far more important to me than the mp part anyway) but when this impacts a title's gameplay content as much as it does with BCM I feel duty bound to ensure that its rating reflects this.

And I said in a thread on our internal Beta mailing list, no review could ever fully capture everything that BCM (or any BC title) is, so, reviewers have to cut corners somewhere, due to the limited space and whatnot.

If you feel that the game should not have lost points due to mp, then add 15% to it, and you'll have the score it should've had.

I still have not seen the review, but here is what the Final Verdict looks like.

High: Huge universe to explore; comprehensive selection of races and

spacecraft; exhaustive options.

Lows: No multiplay yet; only one structured campaign, uninspiring

graphics; steep learning curve.

Bottom line: A highly ambitious freeform space sim but still incomplete.

Add 15%? That would make it 92%. Yeah, now that's what I am talking about. The game is not for everyone so in the 90's is fair, but I would never agree with anything below 88%.

How in the hell did you get ahold of a December issue??? I just got the November issue. Anyways, I think 77 is very good considering it is a niche game. I am suprised that they reviewed it already. I would say that they might have one editor who loves it and writes about it in their editorial space.

rhett - I believe that game developers provide reviewers with advanced copies so that a review of the game can be possible before the general public has a chance to purchase the game. That way, they can make an informed choice. Afterall, not everyone hangs around the actual developers forums.

I certainly didn't do that when I heard about flashpoint (and I LOVE that game), but I do here...because....well, just because.

It's been a long time since I've actually considered rushing home after work to play with my computer...but the anticipation for BCM is definitely starting to give me those tendencies.

I already posted this in the "everyting you wanted to ask" thread, but I think what I said there about BCM's review is appropriate here. I evaluated all the LOWS BCM recieved.

quote:

No multiplay yet

Key word: YET

quote:

only one structured campaign

Wait'll we get our hands on GBSII!

quote:

uninspiring graphics

I don't think so. Those screenshots look pretty cool!

quote:

steep learning curve

I think there's training missions. (correct me if I'm wrong) And there's an exaustive manual, in printed and electronic form.

Personally, I think BCM got shortchanged.

quote:

Originally posted by Emmett.hendrick:

Somebody want to inform me how they came to the conclussion of uninspiring graphics, as it beats the hell out of me how they came to THAT decision.

As I mentioned above, he has a Voodoo 5500 card. 'nuff said.

The final game is not out yet. The ONLY person who has the knowledge to support or attack the review is SC himself. PC gamer's reviews historically have been very accurate and just reading the percentage and the brief overview is inconclusive. There is a reason that game reviews take up a page. Perhaps there are some incompatibility issues that will be identified within the review. If this is the case I have the utmost confidence that SC will make the appropriate changes along with the multiplayer patch. Furthermore, PC gamer and other reviewers may still have an aftertaste of the original BC3000ad release. Granted SC was shortchanged by take 2 but PC gamer has never officially reviewed BC3000ad 2.9 (excellent game). Much of a game's score is based on reputation, for example Independence War II. The original was a masterpiece and because of that the PC gamer reviewers probably looked at it in a different light. The review for IW 2 stated that it had a "Vertical Learning Curve" and the reviewers took this as a challenge to overcome. With a title such as BCM, which cannot claim immediate fame as the descendent of an instant legend, the learning curve is viewed as an obstacle and the reviewer does not wish to scale it. There have been many games which have received 70's and have been excellent games. BCM will have its time of fame but for now; wait until you have played the FINAL version of the game before you start making judgments.

Icecold

"Uninspiring Graphics..."

How much IS there to look at when hurtling through the vastness of space? That's why it's called "space" and not "stuff"

I say make the graphics as good as possible given the widely available and easy tools, then focus on the rest of the game. Which is exactly what SC did. Upgrades of the graphics later would be nice, but I'd take more features like multiplay or GCO before that.

As they say, "It's the gameplay stupid!"

This is why people like Counter Strike. I'm addicted to it, and the graphics frankly suck compared to any other modern shooter.

Yes, BCM could have had rotating 3D models of the ships in Perscan, and cremembers as little glowing dots moving around, and bump mapped ships, planets, etc... but the budget would have had to be sky high, and the game delayed another year. the bottom line is NO ONE other than the SC was going to make this type of game at all. It never would have made it through the concept phase at any of the other major developers. They are all too focused on the cookie-cutter mega hit formula. (Diablo2, Max Payne, C&C) This one will stand on its own merits, and hopefully will remind the industry of its roots. Innovation in gameplay.

I like the way space looks in BCM. Colors, nebulas or whatever that blue and other color stuff floating around is, and the music makes it all seem 10 times better. Whoever did the music in BCM otta get a medal or something.

Personally, I'm getting sick of reviewers reducing the scores just because a game doesn't have multiplayer. Since when did a single player game become equivalent (sp?) to an 'incomplete' game? What about the developers who make kick-ass single player games?

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

As I mentioned above, he has a Voodoo 5500 card. 'nuff said.

AH sorry bout my outburst there SC as a voodoo card owner(not for much longer I hasten to add) I can sympathise somewhat.

You'd think a games reviewer would have a better spec pc.

Man, a lot of people have voodoo cards. What's with that?

I myself had one. Wanted to buy a GF3 but since the prices are going to drop on it soon I decided to wait and my buddy offered to let me borrow his Diamond Viper 32mb. So I will be using that to play BCM for a while.

Not to drift too far astray from topic, but I was also a devout Voodoo fan. Not because their tech was superior, but because their cards were the defacto standard, and worked with the least fuss on every game.

The day I heard they closed their doors, I sold my card to one of the people scrambling to get a card before they were gone. This was a good move in the long run, as I knew that major driver updates were now never going to happen.

Alternatives:

I loved 3dfx, but they are totally dead. It's time to start shopping for a new card. The GF3 TI 200 will be out any time now. I'd grab one of those if cost is an issue. They should debut in the $200 range. If cost is a major issue, get a GF2 Pro 64MB. They are getting near the $100 mark. Cheap, fast.