BCM Receives 77% @ PC GAMER

Dunedan

quote:

Originally posted by krazor:

I'm going to pipe in and agree with Aramike's post regarding the E-Mail campaign, albeit for a different reason. Those of you who have NOT played the FULL GOLD VERSION of BCM really have no basis for rebuttal. Andy Mahood has more information than you do at this point. If I were him, I wouldn't take a single one seriously as the game has not even been released yet. The beta testers may have a leg to stand on but then again, they may be viewed as biased. You guys may want to wait until the game is released before any kind of E-Mail barrage begins or you risk being discounted.

You clearly missed the point the guys are making. You'd be better served if you actually..

read

comprehend

understand

the posts.

As far as I can tell, its not about what he did write, but what he didn't.

Anyway, you are new here - as such, I doubt that you are in any position to question the opinions of those who have played a BC title in one form or another.

Any BC gamer worth 2c, knows a lot more about BC than any reviewer would. Period. Reviewers never, ever put in the time required to know a game and they're not required to. What sets reviewers apart is the content and context of what they write. They are separated by the very things that make all things different.

Denny Atkin (CGM) did a 4-page Beta preview of the game and thats because he knows the game inside out. Did you read it? Check the reviews page. And he is currently working on his final review for the magazine, as are other reviewers.

I've already said it once (maybe something got lost in the translation) - for a game of this size and given a single page to do it in, how much could any reviewer write about a BC title without missing something?

Even I couldn't do a single demo to convey the scope of the game, without having to break it up into sections - and I not only designed it, but wrote about 90% of the code for it.

Only a complete and utter fool, who deserves to be either

(a) parted from his money or

(B) parted from the luxuries of enjoying a game

....would take a review at face value without reading between the lines, trying a demo, reading other reviewers (by reviewers, players etc).

Fifteen people can review the same product and those fifteen people will write different things.

If demos were not meant to demonstrate a game's abilities, nobody would do demos. In fact, most companies do demos after a product is released.

I know that you probably don't know this, but you should learn it pretty darn quick : the people this game was designed and developed for, don't give a rat's ass what a reviewer writes, as they're going to get the game anyway. That is not to say BC gamers aren't going to raise the roof because some reviewer didn't mention something they find cool about the game. If I were a reviewer and had to write a review of this game, I sure as heck won't know whats important to anyone but me - the reviewer.

I think of Andy's review as the Cliff Notes version - and thats as good as it gets. Red Faction got two pages. Go figure.

And in the November issue, IWar2 also got one page and an 80% score. heh. Yes, it shipped with multiplayer, which sucks, has great graphics, no persistent universe by any stretch of the imagination....and BCM's pre-orders are higher than ALL the units IWar2 has sold in the US today. Heck, even BC3K v2.0x sold more units than IWar in the US. Its about target audience. I can assure you, they're not thinking of making Iwar3, at this point.

Here is Gary Whitta's Final Verdict on IWar2

Highs: Great graphics; involving,free-form gameworld;beautiful presentation

Lows: Brutal difficulty curve;hokey storytelling;some dull periods

Bottom Line: Seasoned space pilots will be in heaven, but the newbiews will get smoked.

If a gamer wasn't a fan of IWar2 and they read Gary's review, even if they tried the demo, unless they're into graphics, they won't buy it. Thats how shallow, hollow and uninformative his review was. At least to me.

[ 10-20-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

You clearly missed the point the guys are making. You'd be better served if you actually..

read

comprehend

understand

the posts.

As far as I can tell, its not about what he did write, but what he didn't.

I believe I did all three of those things. I think MY point was missed. Maybe I could have stated it a bit differently. I was merely suggesting that an E-Mail may be taken more seriously once the game is released and those rebutting any points made in the review would have more credibility. Upon rereading my post I can see how that particular point could have been misconstrued. I did and do understand the points made by many here. I too am a space-sim afficianado as well as BC3K player.

quote:

Anyway, you are new here - as such, I doubt that you are in any position to question the opinions of those who have played a BC title in one form or another.

New...? I may have only registered one year ago and posted very little, but I have been reading this forum dang near since it's inception and I own EVERY iteration of BC3K (1.0, 2.0, 2.08 which I bought just to get a nice factory printed manual even though I purchased the extra printed one sold through here) as well as all the extras that were sold. I have all the print mags that featured BC3K in any form dating back to 1996, when I first dicovered this game, and have followed and read nearly every discussion, review and preview that has been online. So... am I still not in any position to politely express my opinion? I thought I was. I'm not some clueless newb. I am very familiar with this game and it's history. Derek, I realize that you can't remember every little thing about everyone who crawls out of the woodwork, but if you will recall, these are the reasons you let me in the original beta and register here, even though I was a sometime participant on space-sim (never in the detractor camp).

quote:

Denny Atkin (CGM) did a 4-page Beta preview of the game and thats because he knows the game inside out. Did you read it?

Of course I did. See above.

quote:

I've already said it once (maybe something got lost in the translation) - for a game of this size and given a single page to do it in, how much could any reviewer write about a BC title without missing something?

Even I couldn't do a single demo to convey the scope of the game, without having to break it up into sections - and I not only designed it, but wrote about 90% of the code for it.

Only a complete and utter fool, who deserves to be either

(a) parted from his money or

(
B)
parted from the luxuries of enjoying a game

....would take a review at face value without reading between the lines, trying a demo, reading other reviewers (by reviewers, players etc).

Fifteen people can review the same product and those fifteen people will write different things.

There is nothing here that I disagree with. The point of my original post was missed. I agree with everything everyone has said about the review. I guess I get tired of seeing some of you guys getting written off for sycophants when there are good and valid points being made in defense of BC3K and BCM. I was hoping to make a suggestion that would help some of the more overzealous of you retain a little credibility.

quote:

I know that you probably don't know this, but you should learn it pretty darn quick : the people this game was designed and developed for, don't give a rat's ass what a reviewer writes, as they're going to get the game anyway. That is not to say BC gamers aren't going to raise the roof because some reviewer didn't mention something they find cool about the game. If I were a reviewer and had to write a review of this game, I sure as heck won't know whats important to anyone but me - the reviewer.

I happen to be one of those people. I must fit the demographic. Late thirties, intelligent, disposable income, extensive knowledge of the game and it's history, played and enjoyed every game in the series, own damn near every space-sim in recent history. C'mon Derek, give me a little credit! I'm not here to start sh*t. I'm here because I like the game and have a financial and personal (ie: many, many hours!) investment. I'm going to buy the game regardless of any reviews.

quote:

I think of Andy's review as the Cliff Notes version - and thats as good as it gets. Red Faction got two pages. Go figure.

I also agree that a one page review does not justify this game, and I make that call without having played the final version, based on the same knowledge and reasons that everyone else has. In fact, I dare say that Andy didn't play the game for very long if hardly at all. That is definately my opinion of course, and I could be wrong, but that is the impression I got from the review.

In closing, I hope that all is clear now. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

quote:

New...? I may have only registered one year ago and posted very little, but I have been reading this forum dang near since it's inception and I own EVERY iteration of BC3K (1.0, 2.0, 2.08 which I bought just to get a nice factory printed manual even though I purchased the extra printed one sold through here) as well as all the extras that were sold. I have all the print mags that featured BC3K in any form dating back to 1996, when I first dicovered this game, and have followed and read nearly every discussion, review and preview that has been online. So... am I still not in any position to politely express my opinion? I thought I was. I'm not some clueless newb. I am very familiar with this game and it's history. Derek, I realize that you can't remember every little thing about everyone who crawls out of the woodwork, but if you will recall, these are the reasons you let me in the original beta and register here, even though I was a sometime participant on space-sim (never in the detractor camp).

Doh!! I looked and saw you had made 19 posts....saw the Oct 2000 and clean forgot that this was the year 2001.

My mistake. My apologies. I should be flogged.

No, seriously though, I think we're all saying the same thing, just differently. I have an excuse, I'm going through post-release blues (its like sending a kid off to school for the first time), whats yours?

As for opinions - you should know better than that. Everyone here is opinionated.

[

quote:

No, seriously though, I think we're all saying the same thing, just differently. I have an excuse, I'm going through post-release blues (its like sending a kid off to school for the first time), whats yours?

Heh. Probably one too many Budweisers, internet access, and a computer. Yeah... I think that covers it. You're right though. I think we're all pointed in the same direction.

I am also familiar with that feeling of sending a kid out into the world, since I am the lucky father of 4 rascals.

quote:

As for opinions - you should know better than that. Everyone here is opinionated.

I wouldn't have it any other way!

I think that one reviewers better than average review of a game we all know we are going to buy regardless is a bit silly.

77% on a review is a damned good review, and that indicates by statistics that it is a recommended buy. You of course realize that one person will review it at 77% and someone else will review it in the 90% region.

The SC knows that we are a fan base and therefore we are not the detractors that see the review and not buy the game, so the reviews mean a whole lot less to us than they do to him.

To the SC, the review is the encouragement to people who like MECS type games (I just had to say that) and if they like the REVIEW will go out and buy the game.

The consumer has no political motive in this....unless he/she is just into limiting their perspective.

I just don't think there's any point in freaking out abvout ONE review, when there will soon be dozens of reviews.

Do you prefer a game that's been hyped to death, and then when it comes out might as well be Pong?....I didn't think so.

I wouldn't get to smoked up about PClamer reviews, their rating system isn't worth a darn and I haven't subscribed to the rag for the last 3-4 yrs because of their reviews being so far off the mark. They typically do not make an effort to have fans of a particular genre review games of that genre, and so I have seen great games get toasted in reviews (Elite 2: Frontier, for example, ground breaking in terms of game play, but not glitzy enough, so it got effectively panned).

Wait for other game reviews to come out, as a measuring stick, before you trust a PCgamer review. I know I always do.

My question,...

Are any of these mags going to include a copy of BC3K 2.09??? That would be a better selling advertisement than a review in my opinion. I would love to play it, since it is supposed to run under Win9X, but I have a 56K connection.

quote:

Originally posted by Papi:

PC Gamer here in Finland included BC3K in their latest number, so I think it must have been in there too, only earlier.

Can someone please translate what he just wrote please? My Finglish is kinda rusty.

Here's the same in Finnish: "Viimeisimm├ñn suomalaisen PC Gamer lehden mukana tuli BC3K, joten eik├Âh├ñn se liene ilmestynyt my├Âs siell├ñ, ehk├ñ jo aikaisemmin."

O.K. I'll try to brake the code:

Jase asked:

quote:

Are any of these mags going to include a copy of BC3K 2.09??? That would be a better selling advertisement than a review in my opinion. I would love to play it, since it is supposed to run under Win9X, but I have a 56K connection.

And I answered:

quote:

PC Gamer here in Finland included BC3K in their latest number, so I think it must have been in there too, only earlier.

Translation

Latest Finnish PC Gamer magazine had BC3K included in their cd-rom, so it must have been included in PC Gamer mag cd-rom in U.S. too, maybe in earlier issues

It was quite late here when I answered his post. But I can send my Finnish-Finglish-English dictionary to you if you want it for further use.

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: Papi ]

quote:

Originally posted by Papi:

It was quite late here when I answered his post. But I can send my Finnish-Finglish-English dictionary to you if you want it for further use.

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: Papi ]

LOL!! OK, its clear now