Ram quest

Gamesniped

Honestly, you might as well. I don't know if that much RAM is going to make too much difference to the game, but for petes sake 256MB is under $25. Just do it. It can't hurt.

You may also want to start saving up to upgrade your CPU soon. While 500mhz is ok for now, it won't be long now until it's the minimum requirement for most new games.

quote:

Originally posted by Gamesniped:

Hi y'all I'm new here I can't wait 2 get BCM! I was wondering I'm about to upgrade to 320RAM I have a P2/MMX 500mhz Win 98SE and a PCI 32SDR Radeon should this be effecient to run BCM?

You're upgrading to 320MB RAM. So, uhm, how much RAM to you have now?

Anyway, with that rig, all the memory in the world isn't going to help you - unless you're going to be running the game at 640x480 and with ALL rendering options set to their bare minimum.

When in doubt, read this.

quote:

Originally posted by Gamesniped:

Oh! and I currently have 128 RAM but gonna upgrade in few days.

Like I said, your system is fine, as long as you keep everything to a minimum.

The demo is NO indication of the full game's processing power. In fact, the demo takes place in a completely smaller galaxy, which is the same as used by the Instant Action scenarios in the full game. So, don't go confusing the demo's performance with that of the full game, unless you only plan on playing IA scenarios.

quote:

P2/MMX 500mhz Win 98SE and a PCI 32SDR Radeon

I've been running the demos for a while with my Celeron 500, 192MB of Ram, and a PCI 16mb Rage 128. Anyway, I'm upgrading my system around Christmas, so I'll be okay with BCM. I think you'll do okay (as per the reqs. from the BCM Info page).

Oh, and those glitches with the textures are based on ATI's drivers. I think have been corrected (at least the ones I experienced with the Rage chipset). Download the latest drivers:

http://support.ati.com

If that doesn't help, then add /nd1 /nd2 to the end of the "Target" box of the shortcut.

Welcome aboard. I'm Nova, and you can ask me any further questions you have about our community, or basic questions about RP, Fleets, or what to expect from here on in (multiplayer, etc.).

I just ordered 256 megs of RAM for my comp for about $35, with s&h.

Unfortunately, my comp's a piece of crap (PII 350, 128 MB RAM right now, Voodoo 3 3000 16 MB)... But I should be getting a nice new comp if my grades are good in school, which they are, so now it's just a matter of time.

Specs for my new comp:

1.33 gHz Athlon

256 MB DDR (probably...) RAM (I'm gonna up that to at least 512 later on, though. 256 is just to get it started)

40 GB harddrive

Either a GeForce 2 or a GeForce 3 card (haven't decided which I want, or, rather, want to spend the money on)

52X CD-ROM

17" monitor (nothing bigger fits at my computer desk )

All for a little over $700, if I get the GF2

Hey, this is my first post and I've got myself a couple of questions. My tower computer's specs really, really, REALLY SUCK!

They are a 300mhz processer, 16mb voodoo card, 64mb of ram, Win 95..... I think I'll stop while I'm ahead. Anyway I'm going to upgrade after I get some money but that won't be for a while, around January but can your guys tell me what the best confguration would be for the lowest cost. As I said I'm kinda strapped for cash so make it CHEAP! Also do you think it would be enough to at least run BCM for a while? I also have a notebook with everything

exceeding the requirements but the graphics card is only 8mb...Would that hold up until my tower stops suckin? Thanks for helping...Assuming you help. THXS!

Your video card and memory will sort of work for the time being, hopefully. Expect graphic artifacts in BCM, and likely not smooth gameplay because of the small amount of RAM you have.

You want to upgrade on the cheap around January? Grab one of the Nvidia Nforce chipset motherboards that should be out by then. Put an AMD duron on it. That should all cost under $300 even if you need a new case and memory. That will give you a much faster system, and upgrade your video, sound, and NIC all at the same time.

In the meantime... you could grab a 128MB stick of memory for under $15 to help hold you over. Don't buy any more though, as you will probably be buying DDR memory for your next rig, and memory alone isn't going to help your current system that much.

Gamesniped, I ran the Beta up until the last version at acceptable levels. Wasn't spectacular but it wasn't anywhere near being a dog either. I posted several favorable reports about my system.

500 Celeron

192 meg ram

Voodoo 3 2000 pci

It ran pretty good I thought. Like Derek said, you will be ok I think.

willb, I think the best thing is to try uninstalling and reinstalling the demo if you haven't tried that yet.

It might be that the game crashes because you have only 64mb memory.

Remember that you should quit all programs, except eplorer and systray.

I run memory manager called "Ram Idle" prior to starting any games, so I can get as much memory as possible, then I quit the memory manager too.

Hope this helps and welcome to our universe