Joystick sensitivity

Spuzzum

I'm just curious if there could be a configuration option that lets us set the minimum amount of motion that the stick needs to be moved before it registers motion.

Likewise, a maximum and minimum on the throttle would be nice...

Reason: My joystick is slightly loose on its gimbals, and so every time I let go of the stick, it doesn't return to its immediate centre and I have to use Ctrl+Alt+J. Plus, other people might experience similar problems.

(I'd have posted this in Tech Support, but despite posting my specs to the best of my ability I'm not allowed to do that in there. Also, I'm not sure whether this would classify as tech-support-genre, since it's a request for future functionality, not a perceived error.)

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

1. No

Dang.

quote:

2. Read the manual about how the throttle setting affects the 0-9 keyboard settings

I did a long time ago... what I meant was a way to specify an offset to the maximum and minimum, because (despite proper calibration -- other games verify this) BCM only registers in the range of 2% to 98% on the throttle, which leaves me stuck shutting off the throttle to attain flank speed.

quote:

3. Get a new joystick

I'd love to, but this joystick was new to begin with (I got it in May), and I don't have lots of chump-change handy .

I'd register a complaint with the manufacturer, but we all know how far complaints go with companies like Logitech:

Complaints: We'll have to direct you to our tech support department.

[15 minutes later]

Tech Support: Hello? Oh, you'll want to talk to our complaints department.

Don't know what joystick you use, but a lot of them have a way of tightening the gimbals. Also, many have software that allows you to set your own null zone. Mine acts similarly to yours (but it was always that way, and not as badly). If I wanted to, I could add another piece to my joystick profile that increases the null zone. But for now, I just live with it Doesn't hurt me unless I let go of the stick...

• 2 years later...

quote:

Originally posted by Gomez:

Don't know what joystick you use, but a lot of them have a way of tightening the gimbals. Also, many have software that allows you to set your own null zone.

Does anyone know such a software that works with BCMG,because I cant use logitech profiler with BCMG and I badly need to set null zone.

I know about that but when I recalibrate it,after a while it starts drifting the other way,I sent the joystick to tech service but Im not hopeful after what Ive seen in Logitech and wingmanteam forums-there seems to be a LOT of people having this problem with especially logitech post-wingman extreme(IIRC) joysticks.

And I dont have much alternative other than logitech in my country(maybe microsoft joystick but thats very hard to find and expensive) except those 5-10$ ones.

So I thought maybe it could be playable with a %5-10 dead zone.

Wingman forum

Logitech forums -only if I knew these before

I use the logitec 3 , and are aware of the drifting.

When I used it on my win98 system. I had to always calibrate it in windows,and leave the thrust to max.... before i fired up BC, or UC. Then when it started to drift, the in-game joystick centering proved acceptable, though a little irritating.

With winxp, i no longer have to pre-calibrate the stick...with the ctl+alt+j command. I just hit the key combination in game, when it starts acting funny...I have gotten use to it.

Thank you,again,street.Thanks to in game calibration drifting-at a const rate- is not an issue but when it drifts at ever changing rates not even that helps,its really irritating.Ill remember to calibrate it each time I launch BC,I hope I will get used to it like you did.

I find it strange that those joysticks have same problems with lots of users -after a dreamlike 1-2 month period- and yet logitech keeps selling them .Just look at the logitech forums,there are a LOT of people having nearly the same problems and logitech tech guys arent saying anything (as if...).

• 2 weeks later...

Uhm... dunno if it may prove useful, but... speaking of BCMG... I use a Saitek P2500 Gamepad (speakin' of dollars, I think it could cost more or less 20$), and it does give me no problems of that kind.

The only problem I have with drifting, is at the very first take-off: in this case, my ship starts drifring a lil, but I just have to steer once, and everything return ok.

Only one lillte question, SC: when you talked about the FAQs did u refer to the forum, or the game manual?