A change in the wind?

Tyrn

Seems that the upcoming MP has thrown a unique spin to giving out helpful gameplay hints and strategies. The BC forums have always basically been all for one and one for all. If I have a good way of doing something I've always been willing to share. Now that MP is coming, I am more hesitant to simply share all my pet tricks. After all, I know that some of them will come in very handy against live opponents but only if my opponent doesn't already know the trick himself!

What ethical, for lack of a better word, responsibility do veteran players have in regards to strategic/tactical questions? In short, does the community here think it's OK to withhold information?

My view:

Maybe, strategies/tactics developed by the various fleets/organizations aren't public knowledge anyway. Fleets/orgs should be responsible for training their new members and sharing such information between other fleets/orgs under the direction of their various leaders. Players wanting more in depth training would have to look to an organized group, their own devices or the forum search feature.

The possible exception would be ACM/IA missions. I gained most of my training via the ACM and now the IA missions but I try to never give more than hints on those things anyway.

Those are my thoughts, am I off base?

Theres gameplay tips, and theres Operational Methodologies. The former are there to help newbies get more familiar with the game and take a step in the right direction, the latter being the application of that experience in an MP environment. I cant speak for all fleets, but Orion has been gearing up for war for a long time now, and what is available to the public at large on the OWSF is only a fraction of the content we have drafted.

Giving out hints and tips is one thing, but discussing how we're going to be deploying our forces in MP is another. Everything not previously declassified with Orion is classed as being top secret and any member who releases such content to an individual or organisation without prior consent from myself will be instantly dismissed from the fleet.

Anyway, part of the fun is trying to counter your enemies own strategies and maximizing the potential of your own assets/strategies. We reckon we've done pretty well thus far in thoery, but application in the firld is the real test.

Be seeing ya'll soon ...

I very new here but I figure i might as well throw in my thoughts here. Since I was the one asking for help and Tyrn replied.

I dont believe that anyone owes it to anyone to share their secrets. Although I must admit they are very much appreciated in a game that requires as much knowledge of your ship as it does of tactics in general I am convinced that some of us may not even be able to attempt, let alone succeed, with certain tactics based solely on what ship they are commanding.

I agree with the fact that fleets should be responsible for training their own and if possible when the time comes maybe script a series of mission for new recruits to ready them for the roles they will be expected to fulfill in MP. Maybe they could also provide an internal tactics guide at that point in time.

If the independant's want such information make them work for it in MP, i.e. have Mercs runs a few missions, make traders pay and assassins kill, scientists hand over some research, explorers some star maps. It would make the MP that much more enjoyable and ensure everyone would have to interact more.

In the reverse of that if the independants have some goodie or kernal of info that a fleet may want it would work in reverse. Free Enterprise my good men...highest bidder gets the goodies.

You do have to be careful not to sour anyone on the game by appearing too elitist. Some people may take it the wrong way and leave or even not recommend the game to friends... that only hurts the SC's pocketbook and in turn the qualtiy of future BC products. On the other hand it only makes some fellows, myself included, a little more determined to aquire this info through trial and error. Its a pretty fine line to walk.

Just some thoughts.

quote:

Originally posted by Oban:

You do have to be careful not to sour anyone on the game by appearing too elitist. Some people may take it the wrong way and leave or even not recommend the game to friends... that only hurts the SC's pocketbook and in turn the qualtiy of future BC products.

It is exactly that balance, between maintaining fleet integrity and helping the cadets, that I hope this thread will help clarify.

A fine line there Tyrn. I'll answer any intelligent clueless newbie query, but I will not divulge my gameplay techniques.

Is this selfishness on my part? Not IMO.

Tactics are only good once and defeated opponets will either pick up on them or suffer the DeD consequences once MP rolls out.

The key is to know the exact capabilities of the CC that he/she is using. Both its strengths and weaknesses.

Each CC has a PTA sweet spot which is handy in nailing those pesky peashooters.

Players should use this time to become completely familiar with various CC assets; not just one but all CC assets.

TTFN

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]