Does the SC play his game?

Guest [PCA]Pheonix

Only when I'm developing and/or fixing it. I know what it does. I designed it. So, playing it, for me, is a boring chore. The AI does surprise me from time to time, since its one variable I cannot control.

But all in all, after doing this series for so long, I simply do not have the patience nor the time to sit down and play it like an end-user.

...thats what I have testers for

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll play it more once the MP patch is out...getting revenge on newbies who ask too many questions...

"Come on, ask me how to land on a planet! HA HA HA HA!!!!

I doubt you'll find many developers who actually play their own games for entertainment. Especially when it comes to single player games. I've made a few small games myself. But by the time they approach anything close to resembling "finished", I'm completely sick of it.

It's a real shame too. I've got lots of ideas that I think would make excellent games. But now that my skills are getting to the point where I'm ready to try more ambitious projects, I find myself reluctant to actually do so. Knowing that I'll never actually experience my final vision, but just small incremental bits and pieces of it until the whole thing seems more like work than entertainment. At which time it'll most likely die a premature death on my hard drive like a few dozen other projects have.

I truly admire the SC's fortitude to actually bring a project of this scope to completion. The colossal frustration I've experienced getting just simple isometric tile-based stuff to work could only be a drop in the bucket compared to the sh*t he's had to cope with. It's really too bad that after putting up with all of that, that he can't sit back and actually enjoy playing with what he's built.

quote:

Originally posted by R_wilco:

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll play it more once the MP patch is out...getting revenge on newbies who ask too many questions...

I can just see it now. SC's Battlecruiser MkIII notices a Gammulan Stormcarrier in the vincinity of Jupiter.

SC "Get out of my PZ! You HAVE been warned!"

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Guardian452:

I can just see it now. SC's Battlecruiser MkIII notices a Gammulan Stormcarrier in the vincinity of Jupiter.

SC "Get out of my PZ! You HAVE been warned!"

Whenever SC makes an appearance on a fleet MP server. There will be so many GALCOM vets around him you'll be lucky if you can even find his ttd in the swarm. LOL! Besides You'll be to busy dodging vagrants to send any messages.

SC....

Go on VACATION!

If I see you here on Christmas day...

I'm going to your house, I'm packing your clothes, I'm putting two tickets in your hand, and I'm DRIVING YOU to the airport.

Then I'm getting on the plane with you, and booking you into the hotel, I'm unpacking your clothes and physically putting your butt on the beach!

I will pry your laptop from your hands. Your pager, your palm pilot and any Game boy, or Tamagochi are all gone.

You're on your own when it comes to the sun tan lotion.

I'm the same as you. I am. I find it impossible to pry myself away from any project I'm working on. But I have decided to take the first week of January totally off. Totally and completely.

What am I doing?

I'm sitting my ass in front of my computer and playing YOUR game. I have had NO time to play anything for the past three months, and right now, just spending a week, playing BCM, THAT for me is a vacation. One I will totally enjoy.

You on the other hand need a vacation away FROM BCM.

No playing it. No testing it. No multiplayer code. No NOTHING.

I have given my wife the responsibility of smacking me in the head if I mention one word about work. I have instructed her to keep me focused on staying away from work. You should do the same.

PS I'm serious about the plane ticket. I might not get to your house, (I got family Christmas stuff to do.) but if what you need is for me to send you a ticket to someplace warm, I'll do it. I swear I will. Push me. Go for it. I'll do it!

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

Whenever SC makes an appearance on a fleet MP server. There will be so many GALCOM vets around him you'll be lucky if you can even find his ttd in the swarm. LOL! Besides You'll be to busy dodging vagrants to send any messages.

hehe. Besides, I'm going to have my own special ship class and design. No, you won't be able to destroy my ship or homebase. So quit thinking about it.

On mp servers, think of me as the all-seeing-eye. I won't be involved in any combat. I'll just be moving around, chatting, observing etc. And if I want to get involved, I'll login as a different AE handle and turn off my invincibility flag.

Most of the Beta testers will be Game Masters too, and will be indestructible when logged in using their primary profiles. If they want to play as normal, then they would need to login using different profiles.

The same will apply in BCO.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

hehe. Besides, I'm going to have my own special ship class and design. No, you won't be able to destroy my ship or homebase. So quit thinking about it.

Damn I was really hoping to have the first honour of..um...forget it.

quote:

I'm going to have my own special ship class and design.

Lemme guess. As fast a Raven. As manoeuvrable as a Zodiac. As big as a Stormcarrier. Equipped with all the artifacts from design. 80 marines. An unlimited load of widow SS missiles, an intelligent CO.... hmmm.....

I can see it now...

I'm flying around in MP and I run into the SC.

Tactical Officer: "Sir, he's got infinite sheilds, infinite armour, infinite missles and he's warping the fabric of time!!!"

Me: "Yes, but how much beer is in his cargo hold?"

Merry Christmas all!!

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Lemme guess. As fast a Raven. As manoeuvrable as a Zodiac. As big as a Stormcarrier. Equipped with all the artifacts from design. 80 marines. An unlimited load of widow SS missiles, an intelligent CO.... hmmm.....

...and then some.

quote:

Originally posted by Fractux:

I can see it now...

I'm flying around in MP and I run into the SC.

Tactical Officer: "Sir, he's got infinite sheilds, infinite armour, infinite missles and he's warping the fabric of time!!!"

Me: "Yes, but how much beer is in his cargo hold?"

Merry Christmas all!!

LMAO!!!