BCM Review @ Videogame News

Supreme Cmdr

I think we missed this one yesterday. Nobody told me about it and only just came across it as I was reading GameSpy Daily a few minutes ago.

A clear case of someone NOT reading the manual

quote:

For instance, by launching fighter craft you simply click on one of the fighter crafts icons and issue it orders. (Assuming you have assigned it a pilot) The fighter craft will launch and follow your indirect orders. Eventually the craft will return to the ship and then the icon will turn red. You cant launch the craft again while the icon is red. What does this mean? How do I turn it from red to green? Has it been destroyed? What happened? No clue The green icon has turned red, that ship is out of action until I decide to go online and ask someone what the hell to do to fix it.

Tactical Launch Menu, manual p19

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

My email to Kevin

Hey Kevin,

just saw the review. First thing that jumps to mind (apart from all the pre-requisite insults on my hard work)...

"For instance, by launching fighter craft you simply click on one of the fighter crafts icons and issue it orders. (Assuming you have assigned it a pilot) The fighter craft will launch and follow your indirect orders. Eventually the craft will return to the ship and then the icon will turn red. You cant launch the craft again while the icon is red. What does this mean? How do I turn it from red to green? Has it been destroyed? What happened? No clue The green icon has turned red, that ship is out of action until I decide to go online and ask someone what the hell to do to fix it."

Tactical Launch Menu, manual p19

I think your problem is that you discarded the manual as inadequate (so far, you are probably the only one who thinks so)...and clearly missed something like this and others.

As far as first person, fun, adventures etc, again, let me point you to a bunch of gamer

stories (many of them in first person mode) as told by those actually playing the game and using

their imagination as the experiences provided for them. Thats about 4 pages of stories btw

oh well. Thanks for you reviewing it anyway.

cheers

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

WTF was that? That wasn't a review, that was some moron citching about the fact that he can't read!!

What a moron!! Geez, if I had to put up with this crap SC, I'd be in a clocktower picking off innocent bystanders!! I can't believe that garbage!!

Heh, I laughed when I saw he had problems with readying fighters.. pretty funny. When I first played 3000ad a long time ago and it did that to me I just poked around until I found the tac menu and well--- got my fighters nice and ready for combat..

This review makes me think that people are always bending the truth about games-- sure he was right on some parts-- like the sound- but that can be forgiven-- but other things-- like readying the fighters was well-- pretty self explanatory. The graphics are being worked on-- atleast they look decent. (of course im waiting to be flying around in nebulas with volume-- cant wait for that (freespace 2 comming to mind))

Yes, of course the weapons arnt as 'diverse' -- you have your simple compliment of weapons-- missiles, main cannons, and turrets.. It would be nice to 'feel the power' from them and make others fear you-- but A few graphics & sound tweaks can fix that..

Lastly-- the manual-- "Its like an FAQ, it tells you how to fly the ship(or something along those lines).." Isnt that what a manual is SUPPOSED to do? Pah that was a pretty bad review.. Id love to read the e-mail he sends back however--

Okay, time for me to rant and rave. First, I had the displeasure to read a brain-dead review by the normally astute GAMESPOT, and now I have read what has to be one of the single, most unprofessional review I've seen thus far on the web....GAMES DOMAIN. Despite getting the min. requirements absolutely wrong(266Mhz?), this guy was obviously not paying very much attention to the game at all, like he was watching SOMEONE else play it, and scribbling down notes. It's really appalling...if these websites don't have reviewers that actually appreciate games with some level of complexity, they shouldn't bother to post reviews of games like BCM.

------------------

Sysan Ki Kelpur, UCV Atra Moldanni(credian/police) Ronus IV peacekeeping Legion

Good example of a man not doing his job. Can┬┤t get your fighters ready? What a joke.

Anyone who has played BCM is not taking this sort of review seriously (hope the spelling is right), but this keeps potential buyers from the game, and they don┬┤t know what a great game they┬┤re missing. It must be frustrating for any developer to get an idiot like that to review its product when its clear that he didn┬┤t even read the manual.

All I can say is that this guy didn't do more than launch his ship and sit there. He made comments about the action being too far away, I guess he missed the Tacops menu and the Zoom functions which we all know would have allowed him to get closer, doh. Which by the way is shown on the keyboard command card he says he was using and in the book - page 29. I couldn't stop laughing about the FC not being able to launch, I think his message should have read "you're an ***hole leave the buttons alone". Hey SC you think you can add this to his next patch?

My review on him, I give him the big thumbs down.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I am really irritated with this crap.

I am pretty much a newbie to this game. Historically I play Unreal Tournament and other FPS games.

What I cant understand is how ANYONE can not see that this is the greatest "Live in Space" game ever made. It simply baffles me how the entire industry has been overrun by halfwits. If you dont like the Style of game then fine. Why do all these reviewers go to such lengths to insult the developer and Game? I know for sure these guys are all a bunch of newbie gamer kids. Anyone who was weened on Zork could not make such moronic statements about such a deep game.

I just dont get it. But it makes me mad enough to spit nails.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Just a thought, but because this is a niche game maybe the SC should consider NOT letting the majority of sites review the game.

Is it possible to do that? It makes me sad that the thousands of people out there who would love a game like this get turned off by such blatent predjudice.

Hmmm, Couldn't design a game to save his life

Them's fightin words

I agree, he never read the manual, it took a cement head like myself , 4 times at least to read though manual, plus the Doc's, and I'm still

going back to manual to check stuff that I'm unsure of, and when all else fails, I check these forums, which all will be answered here

He should blow it out his arse, prolly get better results

quote:

Originally posted by Hellbinder[CE]:

Just a thought, but because this is a niche game maybe the SC should consider NOT letting the majority of sites review the game.

So far it seems like this is the best way to advertise BCM, IMHO.

quote:

Is it possible to do that? It makes me sad that the thousands of people out there who would love a game like this get turned off by such blatent predjudice.

Sadly, I think I've coined a new term.

3000 AD Syndrome: Whenever the game company 3000AD is mentioned, critics with no one else to toast fire up the flamethrowers. I think it's sick, how they judge the game without even playing it half as long as we have, or at least I have, which isn't as much, but I STILL say it r0xx0rs. Now I have to find that message I posted, about "What's so great about BCM".

In case I don't find it, in the words of SC:

"As much or as little is controllable as the player wants"

Name ONE other game that can beat that.

You won't find one.