Real Time problem again - don't get upset

Gustavo

hey, before you get angry with me, I will say that this is just a suggestion ok? I know that you have been discussing this matter A LOT but here we go:

I think that the Real Time experience is very good. I believe too that any kind of "accelerate time buttom" is not compatible with the game.

But the game could be like Baldur's gate, where one entire day in the game (24Hs) is like 8hs in Real time. In fact, the game speed wouldn't change anyway, only the clock time. And, I will not retire after 35 years playing the game

but only after 12 years . What, you agree, is much more realistic.

Thanks

Your only hope is to change your diet.

Id suggest starting the day off with a hearty b-fast of 5 milk duds, 2 pots of hard coffee (ultra sweet) and a big slice of cherry pie.

Go play, time will fly

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

What would be the use of reduced day time?

As I said before, You could really retire in this game. The other problem is that the game doesn't act exactlly as real time. For example, if you are fatigued you can stay off duty for just 20 minutes and than you are ready again for hours playing. You too can reach higher levels just in a few hours playing. I have upgraded my shields, armor and engines just with 4 hours playing. It really doesn't seems real to me.

But if one day in the game would be 8 hours real time, maybe it would be more realistic.

As I said before, the game wouldn't change. Only the clock time would change.

It is just my point of view, of course.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Whatever flavour of crack you're on, Gustavo, its not good for you. You might want to consider changing to Menthol.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Ok, I surrender

BTW, I don't like menthol. I prefer vanilla.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Originally posted by the Supreme Commander:

Whatever flavour of crack you're on, Gustavo, its not good for you. You might want to consider changing to Menthol.

LMAO... thx SC, here i am reading the post sippin on some cola when i reach your response... now i have to clean pepsi off my $%^ monitor screen lol

Ok... here's a good question I think.

I've read in other posts that one of the XP expansions or maybe BCO (not sure which. both were being thrown around in the thread) that in BCM as it stands the universe pauses while you are on board a station. If time out side the station is standing still... how come I have to wait real world minutes to repair my ship while docked?!!!!? Nothing is going on the the game world while I'm docked and it's not costing me anything if I'm at my own side's base so why do I have to wait? It's a waste of my time.

Well, simple answer is don't wanna wait --> don't get damaged.

A proper answer is, it's just the way it is right now, game runs in real time, and the outside world processing stops when you are docked. Also, keep in mind that this will be "plugged" in when mp comes out and even if you are docked outside events will be processed, so later on be really carefull docking to the station when hostiles are around, you just might never undock again.

quote:

Originally posted by Eihort:

If time out side the station is standing still... how come I have to wait real world minutes to repair my ship while docked?!!!!? Nothing is going on the the game world while I'm docked and it's not costing me anything if I'm at my own side's base so why do I have to wait? It's a waste of my time.

You THINK nothing's going on while you are docked. You are WRONG. Its just not updated as often. But the game is still in real-time, which is why the time you spend at a station is calculated as such.

Anyway, apart from removing this (already done actually) due to mp, the repair times will be significantly reduced for mp in BCM, but will remain as-is for BCO.

Ah... okies... so stuff is going on... But how often... I docked once and spent about 20 minutes repairing my stuff with hostiles in the area. When I came out, they were still there in nearly the same condition. I also didn't like being deposited way out from the base outside it's PTA range. The 3 stormcarriers I got dumped right in the middle of (i wish I had a screen shot) made mincmeat out of me since my sheilds weren't up.

I can understand under normal circumstances that a Station would either deploy tugs or use computer control to undock you to prevent accidents and collisions and therefore you wouldn't have control until you were more than a few hundred klicks out. But doing all that under combat conditions? Can't there be some kind of "Combat Deployment" that dumps you nearly right out side the stations (preferably on the side of it that it is opposite of it's orbit!) so you can still be somewhat defended whilst you fix things?

Also, if it launched fighters, what good is to have them be released 500-1000km out when there is a carrier that just decloaked at 100km or closer?

I dunno... I think I'm just ranting again. Feel free to smack me.

Oh crud... NM the story about the carriers waiting for me. OF COURSE they would wait out of PTA range for me to emerge. GO AI GO! but do you have to dump ME outside of PTA range helpless when I undock?