starstations -- too weak? or cloaking device/PAD too powerful?

Spider-man

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Steve Schacher,

Read the above post. the casual gamer cant blow one up....

AS it is I have only been able to take out two stations and they were both small ones. I have also been smoked several times before and after the attemp. Of course I am using a Starcarrier. I have no fighters, no cloaking system etc...

I think its perfectly legit for a Heavy Carrier or Super Carrier to be able to take on a poorly defended station. Think SCi-fi man. ITs just like Star Blazers and Battlestar Galactica.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Hellbinder:

Steve Schacher,

Read the above post. the casual gamer cant blow one up....

AS it is I have only been able to take out two stations and they were both small ones. I have also been smoked several times before and after the attemp. Of course I am using a Starcarrier. I have no fighters, no cloaking system etc...

I think its perfectly legit for a Heavy Carrier or Super Carrier to be able to take on a poorly defended station. Think SCi-fi man. ITs just like Star Blazers and Battlestar Galactica.

I once destroyed a type 1 station with my pta guns only in a sunflash. I did that as a test. Maybe the sunflash is too good? Took a while thougt, and shields never got under 50%

I never destroy stations... gotta lay Seige to them.... then you'll find it's not that easy and you won't end up having to load your save game 40 times while you run in with guns blazing trying to capture it.

Destroying anything is easy... just launch all ya got.. but it's the capturing thats the hard part... expand your empire, don't lay waste to everthing around it.

I spent 4hrs this Seiging a Type 1 station and several hours defending it post capture, but now I have a new base of operations .

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Ehhh?????

Conquest through occupation not obliteration???

What new fangled heresy doth thee spread?????

(Hellbinder<---------- feverishly loads up his game, a little light glowing above his head)

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

I once destroyed a type 1 station with my pta guns only in a sunflash. I did that as a test. Maybe the sunflash is too good? Took a while thougt, and shields never got under 50%

Epsilon, the Sunflash Heavy Cruiser is probably the most powerful ship in the game. Try taking a station on without PTAs and missles, gets a little harder eh? With 12 turrets it can take on just about anything with the PTAs. Not to say that I don't like the Sunflash, sometimes I just think that its too powerful in the hands of a living, breathing, commander.

sunflash isnt the most powerfull ship in the game id like to see it take on a super carrier or warmonger in multiplayer, you do know the aestorm super carrier can fire all its pta turrets foward so if you keep a station/ship in the target reticle its toast! only draw back is the shielding is weak you cant take on a ods with it unless you have a death wish of course and how come the gamme station is stronger then galcom! thats the only station thats ever destroyed me.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schacher:

I'm not *****ing, and I agree with the SC regarding gameplay. I also see it as an issue of single-player vs. multi-player.

Right there, you've invalidated your argument. You CANNOT make assumptions about multi-player WITHOUT having played it. Now can you?

And the ability to destroy or capture stations, has NOTHING to do with casual or hardcore players. In fact, that notion is COMPLETELY irrelevant. You can be hardcore all you want, with our without fleet control and NOT be able to destroy or capture a station if they are powerful enough to deter a hardcore player.

[ 02-12-2002, 20:37: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Hellbinder:

Ehhh?????

Conquest through occupation not obliteration???

What new fangled heresy doth thee spread?????

(Hellbinder

LOL!! but he's right. Some are just looking at it from the aspect of just blowing it up, while others have different plans i.e. capturing one.

Anyway, lets wait and see what happens in the version.

[ 02-12-2002, 21:00: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by xierxior:

sunflash isnt the most powerfull ship in the game id like to see it take on a super carrier or warmonger in multiplayer, you do know the aestorm super carrier can fire all its pta turrets foward so if you keep a station/ship in the target reticle its toast! only draw back is the shielding is weak you cant take on a ods with it unless you have a death wish of course and how come the gamme station is stronger then galcom! thats the only station thats ever destroyed me.

Never had any problem against a supercarrier or any other ship. Lets wait and see what mp has in store for us.

I think with the station turrets crankin' out the megawatts now,that we might have some problems with them,although they are still going to fall prey to the cloak/PAD combination ... but I doubt we'll be using those alot in "sanctioned" MP bouts and I would bet that those little gems are gonna be much harder to come by once BCO cometh...so what the hell..have fun.

quote:

Never had any problem against a supercarrier or any other ship. Lets wait and see what mp has in store for us.

We'll see how you do in MP against LIVE Commanders. I'll put my Megaron against your Sunflash any day.....

OOOOOooohh This is gonna be SWEET

You folks need to be careful with what you wish for, 'cause the SC has a nasty habit of doing stuff that isn't or wasn't exactly wished for.

Back in the early days of the beta I BM&C about how easy SS could be captured & blown up. So the SC beefs the SS's armor and shield levels up. Did that deter me from SS capture or DeD? Nope, just forced me to improve my CC skills. The SC toned down the SS's armor and shield levels way before gold date.

I say double the double or triple the SS's armor and shield levels SC and use those blue PTA beams (ala ODS type) on the SS's PTAs.

But once changed, they cannot revert back.

Think before you whine about something folks We all may regret what may or may not happens

TTFN

As they are, stations just aren't terribly powerful. It would be absurd, of course, to make them invincible or nearly so, but there's a long way between nearly invincible and quite vulnerable. Their shields might be just a bit more poweful. Or their armor able to endure another 30 seconds or so of battering. Or their weapons just a little more threatening. Or better yet, all of these. It might take one a bit longer to penetrate the station's shields and armor, but in that time, the weapons might be able to sufficiently damage you to force you to retreat. Or perhaps the station might even try to board your ship, heh--try assaulting a spaceborn fortress while ten intruders run around ransacking your systems. Well, then again, that last one is asking a bit much, but otherwise I don't see why beefing up the stations just a little would seriously throw off the balance of the game. As for fleet C&C, I agree that it is a luxury, but not a necessity. Strengthening the stations would make it less of the former and more of the latter, so if the player insists, it would still be possible, without an unreasonable effort, to capture or destroy a station. But it would be more difficult without several other capital ships supporting you, lending more utility to this powerful feature

[ 02-12-2002, 23:06: Message edited by: Sunanta ]

1) Ya'll keep talking about making them only vulnerble to Fleet operations... atm this is a single player game and most Castes don't recieve fleet C&C (even as Commanders) only with MP will these castes be able to put the fleets together that you speek of, and this isn't MP at the moment.

2) I like the Cloaking Ideas tho... fire and cloak drops good un I think, but in the end SC knows what he's doing .

3) In my oppinion this game isn't about just running around blowing everything up, but it seems to me the goal is to expand your empire... increase your power.

4) Seiging a system takes a long time the way it is (ie. my previous post), what your asking for is basically a static game state by making these stations near invulnerable... I for one like it the way it is. Sure they can be blown up easy.. anything can, including your CC if you even blink at the wrong time.

5) Making them as powerfull as ODS systems... please... I wouldn't even send my most hated crewmember to one of those in any type of vessel.

6) I've seen multiple vessels get wiped out attacking a station.. might be easy for you (as a player) to destroy a station or base but capturing it is a whole different story (At least for me) my vessel isn't fortunate enough to have a cloak .

The way I see it, the folks talking about the cloaking systems have the most valid point... which is what this post was originaly about (Read the first post again). But then again, you never know what SC has in mind.

Thx for listening to me jabber on and no offense meant to anyone.. I swear! These are just my oppinions.

[ 02-13-2002, 07:08: Message edited by: Flak ]

quote:

* Removed 2 sets of turrets arrays (4) from the Sunflash cruiser, reducing it to 8 turrets (from 12)

I know some people who aren't gonna like THAT....I really wanted to take one of those on.

Well guys, I think you've consigned all of us newer people who aren't going to get the better ships, to a continuing cycle of death and respawn in MP. If a station is being defended by real live commanders we are gonna get crushed in an assault. The Sunflash was one of the bright spots for those that were gonna have to compete sans cloaking capabilities.

In the other Forum I mentioned the stations as big "pillboxes" and that's what they will be now.

But by no means let me discourage you from continuing. What is the next ship that threatens your competence as a commanders? Speak up...so we can get it immasculated also.

quote:

* Increased the lifetime and intensity strength of shots used by station and ODS turret systems

Eek! ODS more powerful??? that's insane! I always get destroyed by ods systems... they're too hard to hit...

quote:

* Reduced the intensity and damage factor of several shots used by capital ships

I wonder by how much

quote:

* Increased the armor ratings (in some cases, doubled) on stations and starbases

That can't be nothing but good

But I don't see anything aout the sunflash. Personally I think 10 turrets would have been ok...

And about putting the blue beams on a station... DON'T do that, I have trouble dealing with a ODS that has 2 beams (I'm often dead before I exit from hyperdrive)... that will make station assaults impossible... like I said, I wanted the stations more powerful, more difficult, but NOT impossible. Because you can make them impossible doesn't mean you should.

It seems perhaps the SC had a change of heart.....or perhaps made changes to the Sunflash that will be less apparent so he won't have to listen to the Bi#%*ing.

I wonder if there is gonna be any changes to the range of the Station and ODS turrets?

I see alot of ships getting cut to pieces while being distracted by defenders.....should be interesting.