starstations -- too weak? or cloaking device/PAD too powerful?

Spider-man

quote:

Originally posted by Stormshadow:

We'll see how you do in MP against LIVE Commanders. I'll put my Megaron against your Sunflash any day.....

OOOOOooohh This is gonna be SWEET

How can you, I command a Questar.

quote:

Originally posted by SC:

Yes, I decided against removing 4 of the Sunflash turrets.

Heheehehe, good, I'm looking foward to showing off that speed is better than firepower . And the be careful what you wish for thing is scaring me now... SC, I fear you. I have a scary feeling that the stations might be nearly as hard as the ODS sats if we don't watch out.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

quote:

Originally posted by Spider-man:

Gallion have you tried the 1.006 RC stations yet? are they appropriately tough?

NDA

TTFN

LOL!

This means it could be 10x harder, not changed, or 10x easier..... This isn't helping.

[ 02-13-2002, 18:25: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

ods's arnt to powerfull there designd to defend planets, there easy to take out if your ship has cloaking if it doesnt your ship obveusly wasnt desingd for takeing them out, ala heavy cruisers/fighters, if i had it my way staions would have double the turrets and theyd be blue pta's, youd need a massive fleet to take one out.

Guest Grayfox

let the record show that i find nothing wrong with the way the stations and ODS' are now. i think they are just FINE the way they are.

no arguments from me, except when the new patch comes out and i get waxed by a station, im going to copy down every single persons name that posted in this forum for the SC to "beef up" the station strength, and im going to hunt them down and make them suffer slow painful radiated deaths in MP

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schacher:

quote:

huh?

I thought you were facetiously trying to stir up trouble with the remark about weaker ODS's.

Oh LOL no, just kidding.

But I ABSOLUTELY don't want to see the equivalent of the blue beams on the stations. That's WAY too powerful.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

But I ABSOLUTELY don't want to see the equivalent of the blue beams on the stations. That's WAY too powerful.

In which case station lasers in 1.0.06 are going to hurt. A lot. Especially since each shot now has a damage value of 2500 units (up from 150) and a sustained lifetime (the time it remains visible and slices in a given direction) of 1000ms (up from 250ms). Which means that for each ms that beam is on the target, it will cause a damage of 2500 units. Enough to completely destroy a fighter in one single pass.

As for armor+shield, those two have been beefed up. e.g. GHQ how has a rating of 25000/35000 respectively.

Gallion has today updated the affected appendix files, which will be included in the 1.0.06 patch.

[ 02-14-2002, 22:32: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

So, what will this do to the arrival distance of hyperspacing ships? I know that you replied in another post that the arrival distance is related to the size of the ship, but with the several second delay that it takes for a ship to re-enter normal space, a ship can be blasted to smithereens before it can do anything, right?

Okay, so now I'm agitating ( ), but I would think that an attacking ship would materialize at a safe distance and then evasively maneuver into attack position.

Remember, I personally like to capture stations, not blow them up. But I like a universe that makes fictional sense -- I think that a civilization would build a fortress in space before venturing out further, therefore I like the concept of a strong home station (hey, there's an idea -- make home stations strong but "expansion stations" (outposts by race) a little weaker). At the same time, I don't think aggressor races would hyperspace into the range of enemy weapons, they would hyperspace out of range and approach.

What do you think (other than that I'm spouting nonense)?

quote:

So, what will this do to the arrival distance of hyperspacing ships?

If you activate your cloaking device before hyperjump you'll be still cloaked after jump. Of course it doesn't work with cruisers without cloaking ability .

omg what have we done 2500! the stations are going to tear us up. We are going to get more experience points for catpureing one or destroying one now right?

it would be nice if we exited hyperspace out of the ods weapons range what about the ships that dont have cloak.. warmonger etc.

[ 02-15-2002, 02:11: Message edited by: xierxior ]

hehe SC, Welp... my job is tougher.. but I shall not be intimidated by this beafing up, I will still expand the Criminal Empire I'm building!

I can't even imagine the rebuild time on the GHQ lol.... I have to sit and defend a Type 1 for hours after I take it... ohh well just means I'll have more time to nail those bloody cargo ships!

On another note... in rescuing one of my shuttles from a command error I made I felt the fury of a type 8 the other day, I need only say OUCH! I was fortunate that I was able to quickly open the range and HJ out asap. Guess I shoulda checked where that Cargo Pod actually was ehh . Needless to say next time a rescue mission is outta the question with this beafing up tho .

(rp)Funeral services for the unfortunate Shuttle Pilot will be held on Monday, where he will be set adrift in the ARIMA system... to forever haunt any passing Cargo Vessels or those who would protect them! (rp)

[ 02-15-2002, 07:45: Message edited by: Flak ]

quote:

So, what will this do to the arrival distance of hyperspacing ships? I know that you replied in another post that the arrival distance is related to the size of the ship, but with the several second delay that it takes for a ship to re-enter normal space, a ship can be blasted to smithereens before it can do anything, right?

Okay, so now I'm agitating ( ), but I would think that an attacking ship would materialize at a safe distance and then evasively maneuver into attack position.

What do you think (other than that I'm spouting nonense)?

You will probably be destroyed before you even emerge from Hyperspace because as soon as your ship starts the egress transition, you will be fired upon.

And you have NO control over egress range and there is nothing that I'm going to change about it. By now you should know that depending on the size of the object, you can emerge around 150km to 250km from the target (planet or station in this case).

Since you asked; yes, you're spouting nonsense.

[ 02-15-2002, 09:03: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Papi:

If you activate your cloaking device before hyperjump you'll be still cloaked after jump. Of course it doesn't work with cruisers without cloaking ability .

The cloaking system is now shutdown during jumps. You have to re-enable it after the jump.

And I have invented a few new nifty defensive/offensive systems for stations in XP1.

One of them being an ElectroMagneticPulse (EMP) burst which the station sends out when under heavy attack. What this does is disable the weapon systems of all crafts caught in it (excluding the station's own assets) for about 90 secs.

Also something I fondly call a pap smear Its really Phased Array Pulse (PAP) which the station will fire from time to time. It forces any cloaked ship caught in it, to immediately decloak.

If you know how the 3D volumetric explosions work, then you have an idea of what these two will look like (different visuals of course) when fired. The centerpoint of the surge will be at the station's center and spreads out for about 250km in XYZ.

I have a bunch of others for stations and ships, but I'm not going to spoil the surprises. Yet.

[ 02-15-2002, 08:56: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by xierxior:

We are going to get more experience points for catpureing one or destroying one now right?

it would be nice if we exited hyperspace out of the ods weapons range what about the ships that dont have cloak.. warmonger etc.

No

No

They're f*cked?

quote:

Originally posted by Flak:

(rp)Funeral services for the unfortunate Shuttle Pilot will be held on Monday, where he will be set adrift in the ARIMA system... to forever haunt any passing Cargo Vessels or those who would protect them! (rp)

LOL!!

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

2500 ... This is gonna give me flashbacks.

You think thats bad? I've rotated the ODS systems so they face outwards, rather than forwards. So, they will always be facing the station as they orbit around the planet.

...and I'm tempted to add an ODS in orbit around each station and within the 250km range.