Whats the point?

Justsomeguy

Okay I know I havent been playing BCM for a long time or anything but I can't help but ask. Why would anyone bother playing a commercial, explorer, trader, scientist, diplomat castes? Seriously I can see the slight benefit of not having enemies pick you off first thing and their ships have a lot large goods capacity but in the grand sceme of things what good is that? I have been playing a commercial caste flying a Tarin MK2. My ship has two pidly defense turrets which I can't use offensivly to well as well as the ability to lay mines. Sure I can run huge ammounts of goods from system to system which I do but that seems to be all I can do. I am currently mining Saturn for even more money which is an intresting change of pace. Though it seems thats all I am limited to doing mining and trading. I will never be able to go out on hunts or antyhing, I can even fire a missle. Anyhow to my grand question can someone tell me if I have been wasting my time playing commercial cast or is there some grand redeming feature that I am missing?

Why not just join the Military, Galcom or Insurgent and hop in a Super Carrier and do everything I can now with the added firepower?

Or heck even just join one of them and get my ol Tarin MK2 which all have access to and do what I did?

I hope someone can help me I feel kind of frusrated when putting in a lot of time on this ship already.

[ 08-04-2002, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: Justsomeguy ]

quote:

Originally posted by Sunanta:

I believe that those castes will be of greater significance in multiplayer. For now, they just influence how other castes react to you (I think) and restrict your access to certain ships.

Correct.

Besides, like every game based on a franchise series, all whats gone into the BC games, wrt the history, aliens, castes etc were fleshed out many, many years ago and will take at least another several years (BCO and beyond) to come to full realization.

In fact, it is only in BCM that you can play any race/caste other than Terran/Military.

And in BCG you will still be able to choose the desired race/caste, but you can also buy a new ship at any time and transfer all your crap+crew into it. Unlike BCM, BCG doesn't allow you to pick the best available craft from the word go. You can only pick whats available at the station at the time (usually a bunch of scrap metal) etc etc

With the ability to construct your own planetary cities, bases, space stations etc, well, BCG will cater a lot more to those non-hostile castes than ever before.

There are lots of tiny things in BCG that aren't even mentioned in the features list. Why? Well, that would spoil the surprises won't it?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Unlike BCM, BCG doesn't allow you to pick the best available craft from the word go. You can only pick whats available at the station at the time (usually a bunch of scrap metal) etc etc

So....does that mean that there's no way (except cheating) that i'll be able to start in a Stormcarrier?

quote:

With the ability to construct your own planetary cities, bases, space stations etc, well, BCG will cater a lot more to those non-hostile castes than ever before.

We can construct stuff in **BCG**? Where is that on the features list? (I thought contruction was limited to BCO)

quote:

So....does that mean that there's no way (except cheating) that i'll be able to start in a Stormcarrier?

No, you can start with whats at the station at the time you choose your craft. It says what each station has in the appendix under starstations.. (unless sc decides to change things around)

Besides, stormcarriers are overrated floating hunks of SLOW trash begging to be destroyed

[ 08-04-2002, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Carl Burning ]

Guest MIKE113

LOL!!! You are right about that Carl. I have no problem taking them out. My Garid flys circles around them! Also noticed that the fighters like to bug out when Mother is destroyed.

Guest Grayfox

thankfully im a marine... dont have to worry about grabbing a ship.

ill be just happy in an atv cruisin around a planet... although it would be a very bad thing if a RANDOM was dropped on said planet whilst i was cruising

Guest Grayfox

oh hell ya... go ahead and random me... if you have a nose cam on that thing, all youll see is me standing on the surface, feet spread, middle finger on both hands extended

although ill be glowing in the dark for the next 500 years (ala blight in batman beyond) i'll still be able to whupass... although i think my teammates would prefer to wear bio suits while around me

[ 08-05-2002, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

SC said "if you have sufficient armor and a PSU"

That means that IT does very much damage, the only thing is that you can survive wasting all your armor and shields leaving you naked...

BTW: I saw Resnig naked on operations after he took a shower...

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

oh hell ya... go ahead and random me... if you have a nose cam on that thing, all youll see is me standing on the surface, feet spread, middle finger on both hands extended

LOL! I've been messing with a logo for Primes 1st OMB thats simular to this. With the motto Facing Death From Above

quote:

There are lots of tiny things in BCG that aren't even mentioned in the
. Why? Well, that would spoil the surprises won't it?

I hate it when you do that. Now I've got to check for updates every 5 minutes.

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

Oh, so the RANDOM isn't the be-all-end-all that it used to be. It's difficult to imagine anything surviving such an attack.

It is, so I dunno what you're talking about.

Nothing's changed except that if you have the above items, you might survive. How many fools do you think would be in possession of full armor and a PSU (optional inventory item) at any one time? And even if you have it, it may not even be charged. Which means, you'll still be roasted (after being illuminated a nice, bright Orange first )

Even a regular OTS will cause you harm and radiate you if you don't get killed - assuming you are standing within its blast radius.

I'm probably going to be rendering all radiated personnel a nice glowing Green or Orange so that you can see them a long distance away.

[ 08-05-2002, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by fendi:

quote:

There are lots of tiny things in BCG that aren't even mentioned in the
features list
. Why? Well, that would spoil the surprises won't it?

I hate it when you do that. Now I've got to check for updates every 5 minutes.

hehe, I know

quote:

I'm probably going to be rendering all radiated personnel a nice glowing Green or Orange so that you can see them a long distance away.

Alrighty then.

Nukem till they glow, then shootem in the dark.

I must say I LIKE IT!

Guest Grayfox

what was it they used to teach the kids in school back in the 50's and 60's??? duck and cover???

gotta give us ground pounders some credit, cause god sure as hell didnt give us any brains

quote:

...transfer all your crap+crew into it...

[rp]

cmdr: everybody packed up and ready to move?

crew: yes sir!

cmdr: ok before we get moving, resnig?

resnig: sir?

cmdr: gather up your marines and visit the refresher stations. i want all crap removed and distributed evenly between the refreshers in the new ship before we move in. understand?

resnig: sir yes sir!!

resnig thought: finaly! something i can do right!

[/rp]

[ 08-09-2002, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: insecttoid3 ]

quote:

Originally posted by insecttoid3:

quote:

...transfer all your crap+crew into it...

[rp]

cmdr: everybody packed up and ready to move?

crew: yes sir!

cmdr: ok before we get moving, resnig?

resnig: sir?

cmdr: gather up your marines and visit the refresher stations. i want all crap removed and distributed evenly between the refreshers in the new ship before we move in. understand?

resnig: sir yes sir!!

resnig thought: finaly! something i can do right!

[/rp]

LMAO!!!

Taking it seriously eh? OMG that is funny. Be sure to dump those marines and Resnig out of the airlock...and make sure he doesn't even go within 20 feet or so of the DNA storage units...we dont want him using is dirty hands to play with the jars filled with "colorfull" liquid. You dont even want to know what happens when you mix Human DNA with crap...messy results...runny too. lol