Ship Names

IceCold

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I named mine the Akamatsu, after Akamatsu Mitsusike, shugo and assassin of shogun Ashikaga Yoshinori (14th century)

Thought it was a fitting name for a warship

I named my ship Teletran-1. It's from the circa 20th century mid 1980s Transformers cartoon...that ship resurrected the Transformers 1 million years after they crash landed on earth. And it can do more things that KITT could do on Knight Rider.

Hot Johnny

My ships name is in dutch and it is a polite greeting (like goodday). It's also the dutch name for the morningstar (wooden stick with chain attached and a very spiky ball on the end)

Guess it's irony

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all. I was actually playing BCM for about a week before I realised you could name your ship (oops!)

Since then I have taken to naming my ships after Minor Arcana tarot cards. My first such ship was named the '6 of Swords' but I eventually gave it up. Firstly, much as I love the Sunflash it was a real pain to repel boarders with only 5 Marines on board.

Also, I found out that the '6 of Swords' can be interpreted as meaning retreat. And that's not quite the image I'm looking to project.

So now I'm at the helm of a good, stodgy Spacestar. Sure, it's slow, but with that sort of shielding I'll be able to make it through even the toughest of dogfights provided I don't fall asleep at the helm with instructions to let Resnig take over.

My new ship is called the 'Nine of Wands' and this time I checked my info to make sure it's appropriately named. The Nine of Wands stands for strength and endurance, which is the watchword of the Spacestar with it's incredibly heavy shielding.

Of course, there are times when I wonder if I should give up my Spacestar for a good old Warmonger. Shields are nice but the Spacestar takes it's sweet time hauling itself to time critical interdictions. And I do so hate to take a drop in my Key Performance Indicators when a visiting dignitary is the victim of a collateral damage incident. It makes the company look bad, you see.

So perhaps I'm due for a namechange soon. Such is the way of the n00b: Chopping and changing in order to find out what best suits them.

• 2 weeks later...

My ship is the Warmonger Class Heavy Cruiser known as GVC-Godflesh

Currently in the processes of an armour and shield upgrade on an undisclosed moon

The name comes from a band im particularly fond off in my previous career the ship was named after a godflesh song GVC-Hunter

GCV Audacious - Battlecruiser Mark 3

Named partly after two ships:

The battleship HMS Audacious - 1913-1914.

The aircraft carrier HMS Eagle - 1946-1978. Originally named Audacious, but renamed before launch.

Also because it suits my playing style.

I wanted a name which suits the battleship/carrier hybrid nature of the BCMG carriers.

I used GCV Invincible for my first attempt at BC3K (V1) for the same reason, but mostly because I thought I'd blow up, like the battlecruiser HMS Invincible did at the Battle of Jutland (1916).

In fact I ended up blowing up all of the Gammulan stations before the ACM system ground to a halt. Her proudest moment was taking on two Stormcarriers simultaneously and winning*.

*See, I said I was audacious.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, what the hey.

Mine of course is the massive and incredible Gammulan Stormcarrier.

GMV Prosterno which is latin for "Bringer of destruction"

Hey, I'm Gammulan, head of the diplomacy fleet, amd it's what I do.

Bring destruction down upon my enemies.

• 1 month later...

My current ship name is Dauntless, which means "Incapable of being intimidated or discouraged; fearless."

I like that one a lot.

Another one I like is Peerless, "Being such as to have no match; incomparable."

Used to my ship name was the GCV-Chaoticmass, and still is on occasion.

• 2 weeks later...

my ship is the GCV-Alexandra after a young woman i once upon a time (and to this day still do) have a crush on...

and to remind me that since i dropped out and decided to pursue job corps as an alternative that the chances of my never getting any further than friends with her is now ten-fold....you all may now begin slapping me.

on occasion i will also give it a name relevant to my warhammer 40k imperial guard army: the GCV-Macronian Vengeance.

both of these ships are in a fan-fic story i am writing, third chapter in...based mostly on the wharmhammer 40k game, and the battlecruiser series

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My most successful ship as of yet is the UCV-Calumet City, which is named after a very successful hoax that a friend and I created back in High School: We convinced everyone there is a nation in the south pacific called calumet city where everyone works for six months a year and then parties for six months a year. We created a flag, a national anthem, and enough history to make an encyclopedia entry, and then we presented our country during the school's foreign language week. There was a competition where the student who could name all the names of the countries purely by their flags and a little card's worth of information won a trip to Spain. Of course, we were the only ones who knew Calumet City and everyone else was stumped. However, we had to come clean and apologize over the intercom to everyone once the hoax was discovered. Still, I got credit from the principal for making the school's staff look so foolish, and my Firestorm carrier is worthy to bear the name of the greatest hoax ever to plague Coginchaug Regional High School.

The funny thing is, even though our card with the information said the official languages were Klingon and Elvish (which gave us away in the end), some people actually said, "Oh wait! I know this one! I remember reading about it somewhere..."...idiots.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if I dredge up a unwanted thread, but I couldn't resist adding my own two cents

My Solnar-Class Heavy Cruiser is named the GCV-Ancient, just because I love the word...so no deep significance there

My Firestorm-Class Super Carrier is currently named the GCV-Event Horizon, after, well, an Event Horizon....

Occasionally, I also name my Firestorm the GCV-Amakuni, after the "Legendary" Japanese Blacksmith.

Just my two cents

GRS-Black Dahlia, For a Mk. II.

The Black Dahlia was the nickname of Elizabeth Short, a woman who lived in LA trying to make it as an actress. In 1947 she was murdered, her body left in a field in several pieces. I thought the name sounded cool, and had intimidation value befitting the imposing Mk-II.