Joystick recommendations.

Extinct_Reptilia

Alright, I'm looking to buy a new joystick and I'm wondering what is the best joystuck out there for BCM? One with ease of use and one where all of its functions can be operated fully and efftecivly in BCM.

So whatever Joysticks you're using, that you think are kick@ss with BCM, post the name and brand and their features on here for me to take a look at.

[ 12-10-2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

I am using a Logitech Wingman extreme.

It's a killer joystick, rudder control (stick rotates), 7 buttons, and HAT view, and it is digital 3D.

It works excellent in flight simulator programs and does a great job for me.

I wouldn't go Force feedback though, that is just a personal thing with me, the stick controls you, more then you control the stick. It's realistic, but it can be a royal pain in the butt as far as I am concerned.

Just my 2 cents, and probably worth as much.

PS: make sure that the title of your thread is spelled correctly, it makes it much easier when someone does a search. I fixed it for you, but be more careful in the future. Thanks

I've got a Microsoft Sidewinder PRECISIO PRO some years ago and it's still doing great on all the sims I've played...... rudder control, 8 keys + 1 shift key to double all the functions, 8 direction hat lever, throttle weel and fully customizable via software profile for sensitivity and key functions.

Last but not least it works on a optical camera mounted in the bottom that track a marker in the stick ball in the bottom...... so you don't have to worry about loosing performance or precision over time since it doesn't degrade and it recalibrate on every system start.

Just my 2 GALCRED cents.....

Saitek X45 - the GOD of all flight controllers. The saitek drivers SUCK though. But fortunately some nice young man saw fit to write his own and post them on the net so I use those.

It's got more buttons, modes and axes than you can shake a stick at (no pun intended) and it looks really cool to boot.

Of course, I use the mouse to play simply because I find the mouse to be more accurate. Do yourself another favor and get Game Commander. Barking orders for TACOPS, TARGET ENEMY, JAMMER, Engage hyperdrive etc. adds more dimension to the game.

Guest BaBaBooey

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro... runs between $35 and $40. It is a capable stick, has 12 buttons, a hat, a throttle and even the joystick itself twists for rudder. Bought it for X2 and Lock-on and so far I'm impressed and pleased. Great software and a lot of bang for the buck... plus it looks HELLA COOL and feels great in my hand. I'm looking forward to lighting up some people with this budget baby

BaBa

quote:

Originally posted by Grizzle:

Do yourself another favor and get Game Commander. Barking orders for TACOPS, TARGET ENEMY, JAMMER, Engage hyperdrive etc. adds more dimension to the game.

I checked that out... Wow! that program looks really interesting. I checked out the demo and I had pretty much 95% effectiveness, just like the company said!! Do you have this program Grizzle? Do you have a BCM command set? I would really like to get that command set from yah if you've made one!

Wow, what a program. Everyone should check out game commander! It's like having a 50 button joystick with your own voice!! Amazing for flight sims! Im definitely downloading the full version off their site, need my credit card though (I wonder where that is??? )

So far, it looks like MS precision Pro would be my choice. It sounds like it has quite the life factor and a lot of options. i'd be very happy if my joy lasted for 2 years or so with no probs. I read some reviews and it seems that some of the joysticks you mentioned donÔÇÖt seem to be that durable (SC has to have 4 of his fav joy for pete sakes ).

Does anyone know of any joysticks that have great options and long life factors???

quote:

Originally posted by Extinct_Reptilia:

Do you have this program Grizzle? Do you have a BCM command set? I would really like to get that command set from yah if you've made one!

I made one. It's not a full profile, but it has most of the important/logical commands. It's not hard to add or change whats already there, but to save you some time grab it here. It's for BCMG, filename BCMG.gcc.

Note: Some of them I made as toggles. For example "Passive Scan" and "Active Scan" are two different modes but use only one key command so it's essentially the same thing. Saying "Passive Scan" while radar scan is active will turn it off, but so will saying "Active Scan" Anyhow, knock yourself out (and use headphones because sometimes the ships voice trips a command.)

I'm partial to my Microsoft Precision 2 Joystick.

My benchmark for good computer hardware is that I should be able to forget about it and play my games. I pay no attention this joystick. It has enough buttons (8+8 on POV hat), good solid base, a small dead-zone with no drift, and I can grab it in the dark

The Microsoft Precision 2 Joystick is very ergonomically designed with a comfortable grip if you are right-handed, if not, don't buy this model.

One thing that's worth noting is that some people have had problems, either with drift or WinXP not detecting it, though I suspect they are doing something wrong, have a strange hardware platform that just isn't compatible with it, or they are fully utilizing their USB 1.1 bandwidth. It is worth mentioning that all computer hardware has problems with select groups of consumers, especially products as popular as Microsoft's.

Hope that helps.

It's a decent joystick, no complaints here (and I've had 4 or 5 others that I did have complaints about I have had it for a few years, not a single problem to report, works great. It's base is heavy enough to be solid, yet not be overly heavy and the tension on the joystick itself isn't nearly enough to move the entire unit (one of my major complaints about most joysticks is that you have to put weight on them to keep them in place if you move the stick to the outer edges of the movement zone)

I know I've had it for at least two years, though I might have had it for quite a bit longer.

quote:

My benchmark for good computer hardware is that I should be able to forget about it and play my games. I pay no attention this joystick.

Check it out here (link to ebay) if your interested. Seems to be going for about 25ish dollars, a reasonable price.

Anyways, hope this helps

I think that the PRECISION 2 is the sequel to the PRECISION PRO.....

I'm left handed too...... but I've learnt to be right handed with the joystick only (not the mouse...) and now I can use whatever stick I want and with any of my hands.....

I just bought a Saitek Cyborg EVO.. I believe this is the upgrade to the 3d Gold version. Its pretty good actually, lots of buttons, smooth control, feels good.

Its going for $39.95 at CompUSA..

I recently (yesterday) took the plunge into the BCMG world. Its big. I figured out that having a joystick will definetely enhance the simulation. I'm looking forward to UC but while the SC sorts things out, I'll be enjoying BCMG.

quote:

Originally posted by Raven_King:

I just bought a Saitek Cyborg EVO.. I believe this is the upgrade to the 3d Gold version. Its pretty good actually, lots of buttons, smooth control, feels good.

Its going for $39.95 at CompUSA..

I recently (yesterday) took the plunge into the BCMG world. Its big. I figured out that having a joystick will definetely enhance the simulation. I'm looking forward to UC but while the SC sorts things out, I'll be enjoying BCMG.

sorry to break in here but isn't that Gallions personal avatar you are using there?

on a side-on-topic-note: I use a Gravis Thunderbird I got free a few years ago. It's not a bad stick but if you are planning on using it alot I'd go with a different one.

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

sorry to break in here but isn't that Gallions personal avatar you are using there?

Well, we have over 1000 registered members here, and only a hand full of avatars (less than 200 IIRC). This one is from the forum avatar database, as is mine...

Best regards

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

No. All personal avatars have the name of the person. For e.g. if Gallion had a personal avatar, it would be named gallion.gif on the server. Any avatar with the name avatarXXX can be used by anyone. Most people with personal avatars sent them to me and I uploaded to the server. Others just link to their own images.

You're not going to believe this but.... I still use an old Gravis joystick that is about 8 to 9 years old. Mabie 10. It only has 3 buttons, and only 2 of them do something different. The third can be assigned to do either the first or second button functions with a switch on the side. 2 axis. Ahhhh yes, the newer one is a 4 year old Saitek X36 or X40 somethin. It has so many buttons, and a throtle with so many more buttons. I love lots of buttons. Haven't used it in about a year. I use the old Gravis instead because I cannot find drivers for my X. Drivers that work anyway. Yup, that old gravis still works like new. Im quite shocked myself. I think these will last me another 10 years. I hope....

Hello and happy new year!

I have used MS Sidewinder Precision 2 and MS Force Feedback Pro on BCM/G without any problems. (although BCM/G doesn't support force feedback as it has been documented too).

I don't think BCM/G ever had any problems with any joystick in the market. Of course, one with programmable buttons makes things better on any game that requires flight controller to operate

Some months before i got in my hands a TM HOTAS Cougar!

A true investment if you asked me, since i play falcon4 a lot.

It works perfectly with BCM/G too, (not that i expected anything less)

I should sit down one of these days and attempt some serious programming for BCM/G

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently using an old Logitech Wingman attack (ah a gameport how quaint). It is a right-handed stick but it is still reasonably comfortable to use left-handed.

What I would really like to get is the CH Flightstick pro, CH is still making this stick in a USB version for about $89. Something basic, durable, and ambidextrous. I am left-handed and I use joysticks left handed, though oddly enough I use the mouse right-handed.

I like really durable sticks. The only seitek stick I've had wore itself out too fast, the spring was way too strong for the lack of precision, I could never get the thing to stay calibrated, and it was difficult to hold down during the process. I could hear it groan and crack everytime I calibrated it. It was one of their older gameport models.