Shouldn't it be a federal offense...

NukeIt

...to have something this good priced so low?

I'm relatively new to the BC series(within the past week, really). Since I have a tendency to double back on myself and buy games I missed when they came out, I'm not all that surprised that I only just recently considered buying BCMG. I'm already glad I did. This has to be the first game I've ever played that has taken me several days to fully figure out, but it has been well worth the effort- I'm addicted hook, line, and sinker. It isn't too often that one finds a game that can stand up to the competition several years down the line, but since I picked this up, I've abandoned every other space sim I own. In hindsight, I can't believe I paid $50 for Freelancer when it came out ...If I had been aware of the BC series, I would have gladly spent that buying BCMG and a dinner to read the instructions over.

Seriously, though, I have every intention of ordering up a copy of UC as soon as I get the chance. That'll teach me to listen to game reviews; those idiots are too caught up on graphics and ease of use for new gamers to even begin to consider things like replayability...

That's not to say I haven't already managed to blow myself, my CC, and my crew up in every concievable way known to man. And learned some valuable lessons- among them that no, no matter how good of an evasive pilot you are, your mk 1 shuttle can NOT outrun that missile...

The combat is great- It was a huge shock the first time I got boarded, losing half my shuttles to the sneaky little intruders before I knew what had hit me. Of course, my disappointment in that was more than made up for by the destruction of a supercarrier and the capture of a supercruiser during the same battle. Later on, I got a little too overconfident, taking my Questar into a fight that was a little more than I anticipated- I got jumped by another supercarrier while towing a Sentry cruiser back to Starpath. Newb lesson number two: taking on a Stormcarrier with shields down and dragging a supercruiser is a BAD idea! At least I got a chance to test out the repair system, which has to be the most realistic I have ever seen in a space game.

Keep up the great work! Hope the next installment of this series gets a better publisher; had the going price for BCMG been tripled, I still would have paid it.

quote:

NukeIt:

That's not to say I haven't already managed to blow myself, my CC, and my crew up in every concievable way known to man.

Why do you think I call my ship the Phoenix?

Note to self: Witty lines in first posts are potentially bad for health.

Once I recover from the $2000 hit that was my new computer, I plan on looking around the local cluster of game stores. Between the four of them, one of them is bound to have a copy in stock. Unfortunately I'm still bound by the whims of parental approval when it comes to ordering things online, and the powers that be aren't about to let me put anything else on the credit cards this soon after getting a brand-spanking-new system. Conning a ride out to the mall, however, is a little bit less difficult.

I feel like a complete dolt asking this, but it seems to be the one thing I just can't figure out...how do you get your crew to eat their nutripacks? They don't do it when I take them off duty, and the hunger factor keeps creeping up and up- I don't particularly want to have to hire any replacements because I was too dense to figure out how to feed them.

[ 05-05-2004, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: NukeIt ]

quote:

Originally posted by NukeIt:

how do you get your crew to eat their nutripacks?

When the HF reaches around 500 they'll go to the galley. If the galley is full (of crewmembers), the waiting hungry crewmembers will go from personell/officer quarters to the galley until they can get inside. Crewmembers will automatically go off duty when they are hungry or too tired to continue on station.

/ adds NukeIt to "The LIST"

Welcome aboard, Grab an oar.

NukeIt is absolutely correct. It should be a Federal Offense. Only problem there is, Dreamsquisher resides in Canada and NAFTA allows them to screw their developers in the states.

Guest Shingen

I just wanted to add here, for the record, that there really isn't another game on the market that has all that BC has.

I have to admit, that my all time favorite "space-sim"( as far as what it would be like to fly around in interstellar space ), would have to be (JJ)FFE, but as far as a space-sim that gives me absolute control of almost everything in my gaming experience, BC has no equal.

BC uses a fictional universe, with fictional physics, but as far as a good tactical space combat game, nothing has ever, even came close.

{EDIT}: ..and still having the internal "AI", that can rise up and kick the *hit out of you, no matter how much you prep and/or upgrade...

Derek really expanded the horizons of PC gaming when he created BC, and it's a shame that 99% of the general PC gaming public still doesn't have a clue, nor do they seem to have the aptitude.

I have been, and shall remain, a devote fan of everything that BC is.

[ 05-06-2004, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Shingen ]

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by NukeIt:

That's not to say I haven't already managed to blow myself, my CC, and my crew up in every concievable way known to man.

Are you sure you've tried -every- way? Including shuttle-surfing (the killing you part), gas-giant diving (the CC part), and using Resnig's face for taget practice (the crew part)?

You can never find too many ways to end your career

Well.........

I beamed down to a planet with a couple of marines in tow. One of them would not follow orders so I shot him in the back of the leg to get his attention..............

Let's just say I didn't live very long after that!