Misc Tech Support Issues II

Gallion

Ok... Here we go again.

Bought game on 11-23-01 (day after thanksgiving). Went home and installed. Ran ok, my system seems to be a little unstable with 3d accelerated games so I wasn't expecting perfect operation. I enjoyed it for about 3 hours playing with all the neat functions. I was running DX 8.0a at the time. I also had bought Ghost Recon and it was running in a similar fasion as well. No complaints.

Went to the BCM web site on 11-24-01 and saw that there was a patch. Oh boy! And so quick too! Go Mr. Smart! Anyways, saw that it needed DX 8.1... went and downloaded the patch and DX 8.1. Installed DX 8.1 and then installed the patch from the home directory of BCM. The install for 8.1 did not go quite flawlessly. I spontaneously rebooted twice while trying to reboot after installation (not including the required reboot). Reinstalled it again just to make sure everything is ok. The second installation went flawlessly. Went to start the game... no loading screen, no nothing. My desktop just stared back at me. Went to go play Ghost Recon. Loading screen then nothing. Just plain old field of Icons and that blasted blue-green color. Fustrated, went and played WWII Online for a while until it CTDed. Decided that BCM was too good to pass up.

Went and uninstalled it using remove programs. Killed the folder. Re-installed. Thinking the patch was to blame I did not re-download it or install the version I had since it was deleted anyway. Tried to run it. Got the safedisc screen and then was left at the desktop. No little 3000ad intro anim. *sigh* Did the same thing with Ghost Recon and got the same results at pre-DX 8.1.

Ok... maybe I got a corrupted DX 8.1 file or something in the download. Went back to microsoft and re-downloaded. Then installed DX 8.1 again. Reboot. Tried to run BCM again... no go. Thinking pre-patch BCM didn't like DX 8.1 I went and re-downloaded the patch and reinstalled it. No good. Same results as the very first time. Ok... off to the forums.

Ok.. in the forums, reported my problem. Try the latest video drivers. Ok... went to nvida and redownloaded and reinstalled them (that really annoying way that everyone says to do). No change in anything. Did the same for my sound card. No change. Ok, someone said to go to www.guru3d.com and try getting some drivers from there. Ok... 2280... only one small improvement. Now post-patch I get the loading screen and then the screen goes black like it's going to start but just dumps me right back to the desktop. So close yet so far. Did another round of reinstallation of all my drivers and DX 8.1 and BCM and the patch. Defraged and Scandisked and Virus checked too just for sh!ts and giggles. Between school and everything it's the 27th. Still no go.

Ghost recon is behaving in a similar manner. In between BCM installs I decide to reinstall this and try and get this to work since there is no patch to worry about. No good either. I've tried just about everything in my power except for reinstalling windows. From scratch or otherwise.

I recently caught wind that I have a VIA chipset on my 1st Mainboard. I'm going to try and download and install the 4-in-1 thingy on that guru3d site, and check AMD for anything that might help.

The only thing that I can think of is that DX 8.1 did it. Of course the only problem is that no one else seems to be having this particular problem which seems to indicate something deeper in my system that I'm not aware of... I like to think with 2 years at Radio Shack that I posses good trouble-shooting, and problem isolating skills and it all seems to come back to that initial botched installation of DX 8.1. But everyone seems to say that installing it again should have fixed that.

I also have profiles enabled on my system so I tried doing everything from the default profile to make sure that everything was going where it was supposed to. Still had the same results. (I did the downloading and installing from there AGAIN so don't tell me I didn't or to try it.)

Well, there is my sad tale of woe. An someone tell me how to get a nifty link so I don't have to have such and ungodly lengthy sig.

PS Get ready to call the guys in white to take me off. I've spend so much time in front of my puter that I think I'm starting to grow extra fingers to type faster.

UPDATE: Ok, found all the stuff for getting my profile updated and correct. I decided to read the information update posted by SC. Wow... I'm smart... honest.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Eihort ]

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

Reinstall DX8.1, video and sound drivers.

Then reinstall the game.

Try it. I had a similar problem. If your motherboard uses VIA driver, I'd suggest getting the latest via pack as well.

Alright ... But seriously! This is like the third time in the past week I've done all this in attempts to get BCM fully functional. I really doubt my drivers are spontaneously corrupting themselves :-P

But I'll try -again- ...

Steve

Some time ago i noticed my main computer was damaged to 50% ( i had no intruders. or taken any damage in any battle).

I put my engineers to repair it. after 10 mins i get:

'Main computer is damaged' right away i get

'Main computer repairs completed'(in that order)

when i look, main com. is back down to 50%

i watched it for 20 mins or so, as soon as its repaired to 100% it drops to 50% i saw them do it 3 times in a row, so my com. is in perpetual state of repair.

It began happeing shorty (if not as i left station) after i put second JAC and 2nd Selestial ORB on board. (not sure if its related i removed all artifacts tried repairing com, no effect.)

I have save file 2 mins before they repair main com.

"Hey guys;

I posted this error before, and was told to go through the uninstall/reinstall download new patch/use new patch process, which I did, and I had been playing almost constantly since then.

Well, I've gotten the error again, so I'm posting about it cause I wonder if I'm going to have to reinstall EVERY time I get this damn error :-P

Here it is: I save my game with the quick save, and I approach a station for docking. Again, I have intruders on my ship; but I'm not really damaged, the intruders are all on teh shuttles or dooking around in the corridors aimlessly.

I've been to this station MANY times. It's basically my base of operations. I probably visit it every couple of hours. I dock, I see the pretty picture of the inside of the station. I click "Login", and I get a crash to desktop.

I reboot, I restore my game, I dock again, click "Login", and crash to desktop.

Now, if it was -really- a bad install, wouldn't I have already crashed on the many, many other times I've visited this station?

I sure hope I don't have to re-start AGAIN, I finally got my ship 100% upgraded ;-P

Thanks!

Steve"

Hope ive updated my profile and everthing correctly before i get flamed .......thought id state iam have EXACTLY the same problem as steve...

Is there a bug lurking there ? as my computer is a clone i cannot see how this exact problem can manifest itself and two very diferent machines if it is a system problem? agian i apoligise in advance if this has been resovled and iam just being ignorant to that fact.....i have d/l all patches and re-installed using the prescribed manner , also using the tweaks and system stabilization methods...

Mr_Paris

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Mr_Paris ]

One reason I don't think my problem above is a driver problem is, well, I updated all my stuff again, and I played BCM (didn't re-install BCM yet). Still crashes on my save game, BUT! when I start a new senario, I can play fine, don't get the station error.

Also ... I have some save games from earlier in my senario that eventually bombs. And they don't crash either.

Another Commonality I noticed; it always crashes while I have dead marines and intruders on board. :-P

WHOA!!! and check this out. I kill off the intruders and it doesn't crash!!

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Steve Conley ]

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Steve Conley ]

IT WORKS!!! IT WORKS!!!! IT REALLY WORKS!!!!!
Now if I could just figure out what I did.

Dunno what I did to make it work. I went and decided to take a closer look at DX and ran the dialouge and ran the tests... The D3d test failed when it tried the dx 8 3d test. So I went and installed the 2280 drivers. Went to run the tests again. DX crashed the system... rebooted... everything worked... IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!

Ok.. I'm done here... off to join ISS...
Thanks for puttin up with me SC...

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Conley:

Hey guys;

I posted this error before, and was told to go through the uninstall/reinstall download new patch/use new patch process, which I did, and I had been playing almost constantly since then.

Well, I've gotten the error again, so I'm posting about it cause I wonder if I'm going to have to reinstall EVERY time I get this damn error :-P

Here it is: I save my game with the quick save, and I approach a station for docking. Again, I have intruders on my ship; but I'm not really damaged, the intruders are all on teh shuttles or dooking around in the corridors aimlessly.

I've been to this station MANY times. It's basically my base of operations. I probably visit it every couple of hours. I dock, I see the pretty picture of the inside of the station. I click "Login", and I get a crash to desktop.

I reboot, I restore my game, I dock again, click "Login", and crash to desktop.

Now, if it was -really- a bad install, wouldn't I have already crashed on the many, many other times I've visited this station?

I sure hope I don't have to re-start AGAIN, I finally got my ship 100% upgraded ;-P

Thanks!

Steve

Send the saved game to [email protected]

I hate to add to this, but BCM locks up on me constantly still. I'm tired of having to re-configure my whole system every single time I feel like playing a single game of BCM.

You honestly cannot expect people to keep video and sound acceleration turned to a minimum, have BIOS settings changed, and reinstall the game a hundred times to get the game to work. And several other system changed settings like keeping the screen depth and resolution down. I have 30+ other major titles loaded up on my system and they all work beyond perfectly fine. But in order to get a halfway decent game of BCM going I need to do all of this every single time?

I already know what fixes are needed to stop the crashes/lockups, but you are asking us to reconfigure our whole system every single time just to play BCM. Why should we even have to do ANY of that to get a single game to work!? Don't tell me its my system configuration either at this point. Like I said, I have games that are a hundred times more graphic and memory intensive....

Gateway P3 866

256MB SDRAM

GeForce2 GTS (Det v2183)

SBLive

DirectX 8.1

Windows ME

BCM v1.0.01 final release

quote:

Originally posted by Zuul:

I hate to add to this, but BCM locks up on me constantly still. I'm tired of having to re-configure my whole system every single time I feel like playing a single game of BCM.

You honestly cannot expect people to keep video and sound acceleration turned to a minimum, have BIOS settings changed, and reinstall the game a hundred times to get the game to work. And several other system changed settings like keeping the screen depth and resolution down. I have 30+ other major titles loaded up on my system and they all work beyond perfectly fine. But in order to get a halfway decent game of BCM going I need to do all of this every single time?

I already know what fixes are needed to stop the crashes/lockups, but you are asking us to reconfigure our whole system every single time just to play BCM. Why should we even have to do ANY of that to get a single game to work!? Don't tell me its my system configuration either at this point. Like I said, I have games that are a hundred times more graphic and memory intensive....

Gateway P3 866

256MB SDRAM

GeForce2 GTS (Det v2183)

SBLive

DirectX 8.1

Windows ME

BCM v1.0.01 final release

Don't like it. Don't play it. Forget this forum, the game and leave. If you don't want to reconfigure your whole system and decrease the screen depth and resolution then get a better system that can handle a game that requires a lot of resources. SC has said a million times, HE WILL NOT CATOR TO THE LOWEST DENOMINATOR. So you can have a game that has advanced AI and enjoy it with lower screen depth, or get a better machine and enjoy it with higher screen depth, or you can have a game with AI from homeworld. So if you want the later, go buy it and play it.

Maybe you oughta take a better look at my system specs Soback. My system runs any game on the market at full speed 1280x1024 full screen at 32bit flying at 60fps almost always. I can even go into 1600x1200 mode easy if I wanted to.

I never stated I didnt like BCM. I think the game is great, but it has stability issues that need to be addressed. This thread alone will have over a thousand posts with stability problems by the end of the month if not closed. Dont take my word for it, take everyone elses that are having the same issues with the game crashing and/or freezing constantly.

I refuse to reboot the cpu up to 10 times changing system settings just to get a game of BCM in, then when I'm done playing resetting all system settings back to full power again resulting in another 10 reboots. Don't tell me that isnt just plain ridiculous and extremely tedious. No game is worth doing all this for no matter how good it is.

Well I have had the game for four days now..and was just thinking to my self how lucky I was to have no problems with the game..then BAMM two issues sprang up from no where. I Have surfed the board all day, and to my knowledge they are not covered.

issue 1 (minor)- While on the surface of

Otura-6, I viewed the Alpha Cygni system via probe1. I selected to observe the planet LV-105. I was able to view the planet..how ever all though the planet looked different the mission zones apeared to be the same as the ones on Otura-6(not sure if thats the way its suposed to be or not) also my command craft was displayed as being on this planet in the same area it is in on Otura-6. This is also the case with both moons in this sector.

issue 2 (not so minor)-I decided to leav

Otura-6 after a long day of mining. When I reach the altitude to leave the planet..and hit the o key it crashes hard. I have reproduced it three out of three tries. I have flown this same mission the day before with no problems..the only difference is this time I decided to leave my drones behind to continue mining. After I finish this post Im going to try collecting my drones to see if it makes a difference.

Shots

Look, BCM has the best and the most complex dynamic universe out there, you might think IW2 is dynamic, it's not. It also has the best and smartest AI. Many games advertise their AI and universe as dynamic and smart, let me tell you something, THEY ARE LYING. So because of that a GAZILLION games can run on your computer and you don't have to change one setting, haven't you noticed that all those games are pretty much THE SAME? So either get a better computer with more processing power for the AI and dynamic universe and that way you don't have to touch any of your settings, or run the game with lower settings and change them every time.

As for crashes and other problems, I had some in the begining, the first patch fixed all the CTDs I had and now it's only the little things like persistent damage fx. So obviously it's not the games fault that you have CTD, because it runs fine here, and on other computers. Check your settings, your comp. configuration, and adjust, don't want to bother with it, go paly IW2 and enjoy their "smart" AI and "dynamic" universe. When you get bored, we will welcome you back.

quote:

And if those fixes do stop the crashes/lockups, what exactly is it I'm supposed to do?

Random lockups/crashes (instabilities) are ALWAYS down to system configuration. If you don't like it this fact, well, you're on your own because thats the way it is.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mr_Paris:

Okay Boss File Sent ....lets crack this problem....

Got it. Going to check it out. In the meantime, play with another profile and leave that on as-is, in case I need you to run some tests with it on your system.

btw, apply the 1.0.02 RC4 patch and let me know if you have the same problem. Start a NEW game, not a saved game. OK?

quote:

Maybe you oughta take a better look at my system specs Soback. My system runs any game on the market at full speed 1280x1024 full screen at 32bit flying at 60fps almost always. I can even go into 1600x1200 mode easy if I wanted to.

I never stated I didnt like BCM. I think the game is great, but it has stability issues that need to be addressed. This thread alone will have over a thousand posts with stability problems by the end of the month if not closed. Dont take my word for it, take everyone elses that are having the same issues with the game crashing and/or freezing constantly.

I refuse to reboot the cpu up to 10 times changing system settings just to get a game of BCM in, then when I'm done playing resetting all system settings back to full power again resulting in another 10 reboots. Don't tell me that isnt just plain ridiculous and extremely tedious. No game is worth doing all this for no matter how good it is.

If you for one minute think that BCM will run at 60fps at 1280x1024 in 32bit mode on a P3 866, what have you been smoking? And do you have any left?

And please explain to me what tweaks you do, which cause you to boot the system 10 times. I'd like to know what it is you're doing.

quote:

Originally posted by Barron Morris:

Well I have had the game for four days now..and was just thinking to my self how lucky I was to have no problems with the game..then BAMM two issues sprang up from no where. I Have surfed the board all day, and to my knowledge they are not covered.

issue 1 (minor)- While on the surface of

Otura-6, I viewed the Alpha Cygni system via probe1. I selected to observe the planet LV-105. I was able to view the planet..how ever all though the planet looked different the mission zones apeared to be the same as the ones on Otura-6(not sure if thats the way its suposed to be or not) also my command craft was displayed as being on this planet in the same area it is in on Otura-6. This is also the case with both moons in this sector.

issue 2 (not so minor)-I decided to leav

Otura-6 after a long day of mining. When I reach the altitude to leave the planet..and hit the o key it crashes hard. I have reproduced it three out of three tries. I have flown this same mission the day before with no problems..the only difference is this time I decided to leave my drones behind to continue mining. After I finish this post Im going to try collecting my drones to see if it makes a difference.

1. Learn how to use your probes and how they affect the observed region and the region you are in. Start by reading the manual.

2. Have you got a saved game? If so, send it to [email protected] . Leave drones behind has no effect on your ability to leave the planet. And if you could reproduce this reliably, didn't I recently posted about running the game in a window, in order to see the error message that is displayed if/when the crash occurs?

And that error window is from winXP not BCM. This means that it was an OS crash.

SC, here's something I noticed while playing yesterday. If you give a tow order for a shuttle to tow an object that's in hyperspace, it'll go to the destination, and get ready to tow it, right? Well, I had my shuttle on a "halt", while I waited for a carrier to come out of HJ, so it would be a bit closer. (They always seem to fly towards the ship itself, even though they're right on top of the HJ exit point.)

Well, just as the ship arrived, I gave it the tow order again, and there it went. I had the shuttle follow me through a jumpgate. After I had gone through, I just noticed that the ship seemed to be cloaked. But when I checked the Tacscan, it said the ship was still in hyperspace, with "ETA: 00:00:00". I wasn't worried, so I had my shuttle disable the tow, waited for him to get out of HJ. It didn't. I mean, the FX for coming out of HJ appeared on the exterior view, and he was visible again, but the timer was still HJ at 00:00:00. So (foolishly,) I decided to tow him again, and then went on. The Tacscan viewer jumped the timer to "ETA: 47:21:23", and stopped moving.

I'm guessing it has something to do with interrupting the exit HJ sequence, but I don't know. Just wanted to bring this up. And if you need, I have a screenshot for this.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

SC, here's something I noticed while playing yesterday. If you give a tow order for a shuttle to tow an object that's in hyperspace, it'll go to the destination, and get ready to tow it, right?

No. How are you even to issue a tow command with a hyperspace craft as a target?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Got it. Going to check it out. In the meantime, play with another profile and leave that on as-is, in case I need you to run some tests with it on your system.

btw, apply the 1.0.02 RC4 patch and let me know if you have the same problem. Start a NEW game, not a saved game. OK?

Okay ive aplied the patch as per instructions will try to re-create the problem using same ship/configuration as before......

Awaiting further instructions...

Mr Paris

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Mr_Paris ]