Misc Tech Support Issues II

Gallion

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally managed to put in the -1w which works great, I know get an error message. Only problem is I can't cut and paste it, I can't print to screen. The only option it gives me is to send it to MS. It contains about 4 pages of code. How do I get this info to you so you can maybe see what is causing my crashed to the desk top? I've tried everything that I can from the FAQ page and the rebot responses for the tech support e-mail center.

quote:

Originally posted by StarShadow:

Finally managed to put in the -1w which works great, I know get an error message. Only problem is I can't cut and paste it, I can't print to screen. The only option it gives me is to send it to MS. It contains about 4 pages of code. How do I get this info to you so you can maybe see what is causing my crashed to the desk top? I've tried everything that I can from the FAQ page and the rebot responses for the tech support e-mail center.

Its not a BCM error, so its useless to me and there's nothing I can do about it.

Error message does start out by saying the there is an error running BCM.exe and it must close it down. Old Bill Gates is not going to be happy with me sending him a report every 5 minutes but tough, with his money he can afford a good shrink.

Now please I'm not blaming our beloved commander (sucking up) and I'm sure it is XP.

Can we see how many others are using XP and if they have a problem like this, maybe start another thread?

It seems the longer a game runs the worst it gets. Maybe there is too much going on in the galaxy for XP to handle?

It usually doesn't start crashing until after 2 hours into a new game. I'd really like to get past those 2 hours to see the rest of this universe

quote:

Maybe there is too much going on in the galaxy for XP to handle?

Rubbish. I run the game on win2K and winXP for extended periods - as do others.

If you're having this problem, its your system. Fix it. Start from scratch and quit spamming the board.

Your complaining about it crashing every two hours? I crash every 30 minutes and I still manage to explore the univers. Hit ctrl+S every time you hyperspace and the crashes wont be but a 5 minute inconvienance.

If you want the game to stop crashing, start by lookng at your motherboard. There are plenty of utilities for finding out about your chipsets. You can check to see if the chipset manufacturer has more current chipset drivers then those offered my your motherboard vender. Get some tweeking utilites from the links offered by the troubleshooting faq.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: antaren4279 ]

I seem to be crashing fairly often. Unfortunately I can't seem to pin down any common steps I am doing when it crashes - it just crashes to the desktop without error or warning. I realize this isn't enough reliable information to really do anything with, so I will list my system specs and if there are some known issues with my configuration, I would appreciate the information.

Please note that the CTDs have occurred both pre-patch and post patch (BCM Version is dated Dec 7th, 2001). CTDs occur at random periods, but generally after about 15 minutes of gameplay. CTDs have never happened while idle, always when I'm moving either on a planet or in space.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (Up to date with Windows Updates)

Processor: Intel Celeron 1.5ghz

Ram: 256MB

Video Card: nVidia Riva TNT 2 AGP 64MB (Model 64)

Sound Card: Intel Integrated Audio

Direct X: 8.1 (I can provide detailed DX diagnostic tool info dump upon request)

Disk Free Space: ~2GB

Desktop Resolution: 1152x864 @ 32bit Color Depth

No AV or Anti-Crash programs running

Noted anomalies:

1: Textures on planet surface suffers "tremors" or otherwise has constant shaking.

2: I have noted on some rare instances while zooming down onto a planet via TACOPS screen I will be brought back to the Bridge screen, sometimes even seeing both

I apologize for lack of steps to produce this problem, but it is becoming highly annoying.

On a side note, this is my first experience with any of the BC series. I had my doubts about it when I purchased it, however this is one of the best games I've played this year (and I buy a lot of games). Great job Mr. Smart.

Hi,

For some reason now my radar display no longer has the circular yellow radar pulse circle going through the radar scan. I've made sure its in ACTIVE and not PASSIVE mode. It doesn't make the beeping sound for every sweep nor does it display that pulse anymore.

I was just noticing this last night. I reinstalled today and patched up again to RC9. But still no go. I can still see targets and such. But was curious as to whether anyone else has this problem or did I miss something in the VCF stating we would no longer have this. Thanx in advance.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Saint19 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Saint19:

Hi,

For some reason now my radar display no longer has the circular yellow radar pulse circle going through the radar scan. I've made sure its in ACTIVE and not PASSIVE mode. It doesn't make the beeping sound for every sweep nor does it display that pulse anymore.

Does this happen when you are space bound? You'll only get radar pings planetside.

For those players having the CTD issue...

It's a very good possibility that your problem is hardware related, ie: Bad memory chip, overheating, etc.

Try running the game with the cover off your rig. If that doesn't work, put a fan on it.

There are utilities on the web that you can use to check the condition of your hardware.

The problem could also be caused by what is known as an aging OS. Windows tends to start breaking down after months of intense use. I generally wipe my drive and reload the OS at least once every six months.

WARNING

Don't go wiping your drive for a reload unless you absolutely, positively know what you are doing.

Bottom line... Get to know your PC inside and out.

Oh, I almost forgot... If you have AOL installed, then you deserve every problem you ever encounter.

They should rename their program "Gremlins 'R' Us"

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Wolferz ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mr_Paris:

Hi All

Anyone know where the RC12 patch is located, i cant seem to find it anywhere , the file link takes me to file planet RC9....

Mr_Paris

I don't think it was released (along with RC10, RC11). Remember, SC stated that they are only Release Candidates, so won't necesarily be available.

I think.

quote:

Originally posted by IrishArmy:

I seem to be crashing fairly often. Unfortunately I can't seem to pin down any common steps I am doing when it crashes - it just crashes to the desktop without error or warning. I realize this isn't enough reliable information to really do anything with, so I will list my system specs and if there are some known issues with my configuration, I would appreciate the information.

You might want to read the online FAQ, uninstall, re-install, patch up to the 1.0.02 RC9 and report back.

quote:

Originally posted by Wody:

Hello,

Another thing which has been well known by BC players is, don't overclock your system. It will crash BC. I'm not kidding.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

I think that used to be the case with BC3K due to the Voodoo Glide engine. I haven't noticed any adverse problems with overclocked systems yet. Overclocked video cards are a different matter entirely however.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr_Paris:

Hi All

Anyone know where the RC12 patch is located, i cant seem to find it anywhere , the file link takes me to file planet RC9....

Mr_Paris

I don't generally release RC patches to the public. The only reason I released RC9 is because it contained fixes for fatal crashes.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I don't generally release RC patches to the public. The only reason I released RC9 is because it contained fixes for fatal crashes.

The public? Heck, RC patches often don't make it to the beta testers either. Patches are ready when they're ready, just like everything else around here.

quote:

A question:

Could having 2 different size sticks of memory cause any problems? I have a 256K stick and two 128K sticks for my memory. Both are made by the same manufacturer.

AS a Rule the answer to your question is no it should'nt be a problem , although with older mother boards you may need to check the manual as they sometimes specify that the larger memory stick has to be placed in a certain slot number then the other memory sticks in other slots.

Mr_Paris

Some issues I stopped researching due to lack of information - or - inaccurate information provided. In other words : wild goose chase.

Roberto:

quote:

Some misson zones contain naval bases which are on land, and so when you zoom in to them, they appear to be sinking in to the ground. Ive seen this so far on 2 planets, and been able to jot down the location of one on earth.

TER/EAR - Misson zone 205 (earth246) - nbase02

Hope that location helps. I checked it twice to be sure it wasnt just a glitch.

That mzone does not contain any naval bases. At all. PTE2PTEDEFS.INI line 638 reveals zero scenes in that mzone.

Mindglow:

quote:

SC,

You'll probably not need me to describe this one, it's quite apparent. In this sector, Zilon, most of the craft are INSIDE the planet, also my shuttle went to land on the planet and it too went inside the planet This is the RC9 version of the program. And yes, the saved games from before were deleted. (Machine verified, my games were gone after I updated. No virus scanner on the system)

The excerpt above was based on an email report. Here is my reply.

Chris

1. The file you sent was deleted because you did not follow the instructions for sending saved games. Please check the appropriate topic in the announcements section of the forum
  2. There are NO bases on Zilon. It is a completely desolate desert planet. In the future, please send in accurate information.

Check PTE2PTEDEFS.INI line 5749 to see just what I posted above. There are NO mzones on that planet.

These are just some of things that really piss me off.

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]