Misc Tech Support Issues II

Gallion

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you getting these 2250 or 2280 drivers? The only ones I can find on the nvida site are the 2183... Any hints? Also, I read on their driver archives page it says, "If you are using a TNT or TNT2 Ultra product, please download the non-WHQL driver." That's a direct copy paste from

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=pg_20010907751234

what's going on here and what bus did I miss?

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Eihort ]

Has the issue with the perscan computer been addressed? Start a new career with a firestorm carrier, launch and look at the Perscan. The personnel do not all fit onto the screen, to say nothing about prisoners, intruders, or guests. (800x600) resolution if that makes a difference.

Ice Cold

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

Don't use leaked drivers of any kind. The only NVidia drivers that are supported at the moment, are the latest official ones; 2183. If you are having problems with leaked drivers, go back to the official ones and try that before coming here.

I've been using the 22.80 drivers ever since SC told me to switch to them last week. They have been a hundred times more stable with BCM then the 2183 drivers could ever hope to be (havent crashed once yet with them as opposed to crashing every 10 mins with the 2183 drivers). And they work great with every other game too. Not only that, SC clearly states that he himself even uses the 2280 drivers!

If your having problems with the 2183 drivers, use the 2280 drivers. Even if you dont have problems I would use the 2280 drivers anyways....

quote:

Originally posted by IceCold:

Has the issue with the perscan computer been addressed? Start a new career with a firestorm carrier, launch and look at the Perscan. The personnel do not all fit onto the screen, to say nothing about prisoners, intruders, or guests. (800x600) resolution if that makes a difference.

Ice Cold

It's not an issue with the game. Just scroll (shrink) one of the other groupings to see the rest.

---

Zuul, I've just been working from what I've picked up on the forums and throughout the internet. (I don't have an NVidia.)

quote:

Originally posted by Zuul:

I've been using the 22.80 drivers ever since SC told me to switch to them last week. They have been a hundred times more stable with BCM then the 2183 drivers could ever hope to be (havent crashed once yet with them as opposed to crashing every 10 mins with the 2183 drivers). And they work great with every other game too. Not only that, SC clearly states that he himself even uses the 2280 drivers!

If your having problems with the 2183 drivers, use the 2280 drivers. Even if you dont have problems I would use the 2280 drivers anyways....

Well, I just installed the 2280 drivers. I constantly crash and get kicked to the desktop in games. Let's see if this puts a stop to it.

Let me add that in order for the drivers to work flawlessly you need to:

1) Uninstall previous Detonator files by uninstalling them from add/remove programs in control panel. Reboot

2) Go into Display and adapters and switch to standard PCI VGA graphics adapter. Reboot

3) Go back into adapters and point out where the new drivers are located. Reboot

4) Reinstall DirectX 8.1. Reboot. (This is optional, but in my opinion needed after a video/sound driver update)

5) Delete completely any games you have including their folders. Reinstall them from scratch. (Another optional step, but again for stability reasons a good idea to do)

These steps are common practice to get your games running as smoothly as possible, especially BCM!

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Zuul ]

Now if ATI could leak some of their supposedly existant WIP good drivers......

Well, I'm reporting in. With the 1.0.02 patch, I've had 1 lockup. That was after 3 hours of play, though, so I'm leaning towards the fact that it's because my system is a POS. (At least I save often. ) No CTD's, and the only other problem I've had is the damage fx glitch, still. But the game's solid now. Great job, SC.

Well SC, I read that, did that, and it didn't work. BUT I do get the box art loading screen post patch and I wasn't getting that before with the 2183 drivers. Anymore ideas great one?

The only thing that really ticks me off is that it WORKED BEFORE I installed DX 8.1.... I'm ready to totally redo windows just so I can play, I love this game so much... *sigh*

Any help is welcome... does creative leak drivers for their SB Live! Value? And about those manufacture specific drivers for my video card. The card was made in Tawain and there is NO mention of the name anywhere in the manual or on the original driver disk which had the nvidia generic ones anyway... *double sigh*

You will need DX 8.1 to play the game. The poblem you have is something in your system interfering with safedisk. What cd-rom drive do you have? I had a similar problem with safedisk when I got startopia and some other game, the start screen would pop up, then the safedisk logo and then it would just quit to desktop. You can try formating the hard drive, then just reinstalling windows, updating all the drivers and windows itself, and just installing BCM, see if that works. If it doesn't then it's definatly your cd-rom. Some of them fail the check that safedisk runs on them (or something like that).

By the way, forgot to add. Don't install any other programs after you format and reinstall windows, and do all the updates. Install BCM on the fresh system, and if it works then you will know that it was some other program interfering, if it doesn't then it's the cd-rom drive.

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

You will need DX 8.1 to play the game. The poblem you have is something in your system interfering with safedisk. .

Thats bollocks. If you don't know the answer to something, please refrain from posting unfounded reports.

DX8.1 has nothing to do with SD. Didn't you READ the part where he said that he said that it worked BEFORE he installed DX8.1? Which, in fact, has been the case since that patch? Even some of the testers had to scrub their Windows install (Eclipse just did that the other day I believe and everything works fine now) and re-installed from scratch, then installed DX8.1 etc.

I didn't mean that DX 8.1 was interfering with safedisk. I was just saying that he will need DX 8.1 to play the game, in case he just wanted to reinstall DX 8.0 and not DX 8.1 after reinstalling his os.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Soback ]

Ok sparky, here's the deal....

When I first got the game I had DX 8.0a. It worked. I was able to folick in the great void of space to and fro. I also got some other game called "spook recon" (just to protect everyone from gettin sued). They both worked. Curiously, spook recon would tell me the first time I tried to run it that it CD wasn't in the drive. I'd try to start it again and it would work... weird. Then I went to 3000ad website and saw they had a patch and I needed DX 8.1. So I downloaded and installed it. Then I installed the patch. Nothing. No loading screen... Oh well. So I uninstalled it and killed the folder. Reinstalled it and tried to run it without the patch... Safedisc sceen then nothing. That's when I came here. So, upset I went back to spook recon... Loading screen with that game and then the spookrecon.exe would cause a fatal exception before the game even started. That made in Tawain Nvidia card (manual has NO info about who manufactured it) could be doing this too. So, there must be a connection. I may try and get rid of that brand x cd-rom drive and see what that does. Either way, this has turned into a major project. But, "THE BIG ONE ONLINE" still works same as always. What gives? (explitive) PC... *sigh* The Spook Recon tech support was been way worse than what I've gotten here. So kudos to the SC.

Athlon 600mhz

384MB of PC133 RAM

Nvidia Riva TNT2 (AGP) (Ukn Mnfcr)

SB Live! Sound Card (PCI)

32GB HD with 7GB free (Western Digital)

Win98 SE with latest updates

56k Modem (Zoom)

Yamaha 20x CD-R/RW Drive

48x CD-ROM Drive (Ukn Mnfcr)

DirectX ver: 8.1

Type: repeatable crash (CTD and lockup)

Event info:

ACM mission 3 (the ACM based on the BC3K missions). If, instead of capturing Zerin base, you decide to blast it to hell (in my case, because Vagabond wouldn't capture it, so I got mad ). It CTDs or locks up as soon as you strike the fatal blow. Happens at point blank range and distance.

I have a save game where all you have to do is shoot the base, if you need it.

System specs:

Athlon 950 MHz on Asus K7V MB

128 MB PC100 RAM

GeForce 2 GTS (32 MB) running NVidia 21.83 drivers

SB Live! 5.1 (latest drivers)

WinME

Dx8.1

Nothing running in background (not even ICQ or Norton Anti-virus)

Config options:

Version 1.0.01

1024x768 (16-bit for all 16/32 settings)

All other settings on (except music is off)

And yes, I'm aware this can get a little choppy with SF marines around...I don't mind

This is from a fresh install of BCM and a fairly recent install of WinME. HD is optimized and I have pleanty of swapspace. I'd be glad to give other info, if needed...

quote:

Originally posted by Gomez:

This is from a fresh install of BCM and a fairly recent install of WinME. HD is optimized and I have pleanty of swapspace. I'd be glad to give other info, if needed...

Install the 1.0.01 patch. This issue was already fixed as it is related to the supply stations not having a target to orbit. And its nothing to do with that station I don't think. Try destroying any other station.

quote:

Config options:

Version 1.0.01

fresh install of BCM

Clarification: Fresh install, that is patched to 1.0.01...sorry about the confusion.

However, now it's not repeating...grrrr I have no idea what was happening. I got it to repeat a bunch (prior to my original post), then I ran it once again (after), but attacked while it was red (i.e. issued an order to myself to attack the base), destroyed the base, and all is fine (well, except the blown mission)...

Might be an issue with attacking "blue" bases? Will test more and get back to you.

Ack! Answer is yes. Repeatable while base is still blue (neutral). As soon as you issue the order to the CC to attack the base, it goes red, and the crash is averted.

Correction: It's mission 4, TOD1...not mission 3.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Gomez ]