System Configuration Issues

Supreme Cmdr

Even though the Beta testers and I voted overwhelmingly to NOT allow the creation of this forum thread, I have decided to veto that decision and create it anyway.

This thread is for sharing of system configurations among those of you who, until recently, didn't have a frigging clue what a mouse was. It is also for those of you who think that because you know how to crank open your computer case, that you know wtf is going on inside. 99% of the time; you don't.

The rules are simple. ANY variation from these will result in immediate banning from the site.

Note that I said ban. There is a difference between being banned and having your posting rights suppressed. Guess which is the most severe and definitive.

1. Your current system profile MUST be in your sig.
  2. You must have read the FAQ and have patched to the latest version of the game, using this procedure.
  3. Do NOT report bugs in this thread. This thread is not for bugs, it is for assistance with your system configuration and has NOTHING to do with BCM - UNLESS proven otherwise.
  4. Do NOT post about ANY issues if you are using a Playmod modified environment. I know that some of you think you're smarter than I am. But I've looked at several saved games and seen Playmod signatures in them.
  5. Do NOT post about ANY issues if you are running the game with the debug (/d) command line flags. If you had ANY idea what those flags do, you won't even think of using them without being instructed to do so.
  6. I have seen one or two of you posting that people don't respond to your posts. Well, NOBODY has to respond. Least of all me. If nobody responds, its probably because your post does not warrant a response.

Some examples of what constitutes a system configuration issue; in addition to random CTD, random lockup, system reboot, unable to play a DX game repeatedly without having to reboot etc.

1. Some people report saved game problems i.e. unable to load a saved game.

Gordon was reporting problems with saved games. After several hours of investigation, it turned out that he had a scrubbed BCM environment (he was using a scenarios.zip file from a different version of the game).

2. Another similar example was in the recent case which was related to video drivers; because the saved game sent to me worked perfectly. Just because you hit the resume or restore option and the game doesn't load, does NOT mean that there is necessarily a problem with the saved game. If the game cannot init the display - AFTER - loading the saved game, it will hang or CTD.
  3. Some people have configuration issues related to drivers.

It was discovered that the 2311 drivers when used on GF3 will not render the alpha channel properly when a destroyed station is being rebuilt. This shot is what you should see. Instead, on the GF3, that station being rebuilt is not transparent (as it should be). The problem does not occur on GF2 or other boards.

4. When at ground zero and in fp mode, the terrain detail texturing (level 1&2) should look like thisshot and this shot. On some cards and on some drivers (e.g. ATI Radeon, 3Dfx Voodoo etc), you will either see a White band or a different type of rendering. In which case, read the FAQ for command line flags which alleviate these.

And detail level 1 (above ground zero) should look like this shot.

5. In the shot above, the particle contrails should look exactly like that; and also like this shot.
  6. From Tacops with the site texture seamlessly blended into the terrain, it should look like this shot and this shot as well as this post-OTS strike shot.

That is all. Abuse this thread and I will kill it and ban ALL the offenders from the site. NO EXCEPTIONS.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

[ 01-30-2002, 11:23: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

I've had occasional save game problems.

Some will load, and get you into the game, only to CTD within a very short period of time. Others fail to finish loading, typically stopping while loading one of the 'planets' or 'sectors' during the black screen while waiting for the game to finish loading.

I've found no reproducable method to cause this.

Now, my situation does seem to have improved, I've only had one corrupt save in the last week, far better than my previous record. I'm not sure which suggestion of SC's may have affected this, (if indeed it isn't just coincedence), but I will list the last things I did as per my discussion of this with SC in the other thread.

1: Using Nvidia 22.80 drivers (but was having this "bad save" problem with these drivers at one point).

2: I did try lowering Hardware Acceleration, it did not change anything, currently, I have my slider set back to 'max'.

3: Reinstalled DirectX 8.1 2 times, both right after de-installing then re-installing video card drivers.

Now, other things were attempted, but these were the last things done in the attempt to solve my problem, and these seemed to have helped, though only time will tell.

As a sidenote: With every new patch that has been released, I have uninstalled BCM, deleted the directory, (save files included), reinstalled BCM, patched from inside BCM's folder, and started a new character.

A tidbit for SC about the 'Must reboot after playing BCM' issue some few of us are having: I noticed something that might be very telling recently. I'm beginning to think the flaw is in Windows Media Player. Reason is: Like the game, I cannot use WMP for anything after playing BCM until I reboot. In fact, some web pages will simply crash IE, until I reboot. I could be barking up the wrong tree, I'm not a programmer, but I felt SC might find this information useful, or at least interesting.

Lastly, the game is being supremely stable since I grabbed full 1.005. I've had only 1 non-save related CTD and one bad save in over 5 days of play, that's a good thing!

Well, I upgrade to Windows XP on Friday, in anticipation of BCM XP1's release.

Guess that's about enough info for now. Thanks for the time, and for adding this forum, SC.

Idaho

The next time you are unable to resume/restore a saved game, as soon as you quit the game (or reboot), do NOT start the game. Simple pack up the saved game (as described here) and send it in immediately.

Once you've sent it in, you can go back to your game.

The reason you should NOT restart the game is because once an AI tick occurs, the file contents may change. This means that the new state will not equal the old (fail) state.

As for the inability to continue running DX programs, thats a discovered DX and/or driver problem. Nothing to do with BCM. Usually throttling down the card's hardware acceleration one notch, can alleviate it.

I finally solved my slow-down problems (see page 8 of the other thread). Although I was not having Audio problems per se, I decided to turn off ingame music and sound. Viola' NO CRASHES, NO SLOW DOWN. So I turned the slider all the way down to "no hardware acceleration" or "software only" (or whatever, all the way to the left). I experienced absolutely no detectible degradation of sound quality, but most importantly, I have had no further problems with running the game. Period. Save, quit, save again -- no problem, no slowdown. My video hardware acceleration remains fully to the right. The only other change was, of course, the 1.005 patch. I've been running the game solid around the clock and really enjoying it now. Hope this helps someone, it is mentioned all over the place to try this if you are having audio problems or are using a SBlive, but I urge you to try it even if you aren't and the game is behaving funny.

Catches thieves just like flies...

One solution to the Saved Game restore/resume config issue (if the problem you have is it will be on the load screen and NOT render your cockpit). Turn OFF all graphic options and sound, and lower the resolution to 640x480, then try to load the game. Fly around awhile (maybe out of the area you were in), and save again. Then turn up the options again to what you desired and restore. It worked for me, hopefully it'll work for you.

P.S. It only worked for me when I was NOT using the -w2 command line.

I am considering a reformat. I have tried reinstalling windows, reintalling bcm, cleaning my registry and deleting /installing various video drivers. Xp doesn't allow me to reformat either through the recovery console or disk manager. On disc mangager the format option is unselectable, and using the recovery console I am told the file path is invalid. Is a second hard drive required to run the computer during a reformat? I have only the one partition on my 20gb 7200 hard drive. (Previously I had a PIII with a manufacturer (HP) recovery disk, so I have never tried to reformat conventionally until I bought this computer.

A second HDD is not required to reformat your HDD.

Since your system is totally hosed, your best bet is to reinstall XP from scratch. This means deleting the current partition and creating a new one.

Backup any data you want to save before you reinstall XP, if you can that is

Good luck and TTFN

Thx, I will try to delete and then install...It wouldn't delete before but it might after a reinstall of xp(err...repair that is)

[ 02-15-2002, 23:46: Message edited by: HiPingScoba ]

Ok, after noticing that Win XP is going to be the recommened OS for future versions of BC, I got it and upgraded. Now BCM won't work. I don't believe this is a BUG, per se, since others are running XP just fine. When I start BCM (tried 3 ways each time: with no command paramaters, with the -n command parameter, and with the -w2 command parameter), it shows, in the startup window, the screen that appears on the box, that screen disappears, and nothing happens. No freezes, no error messages, just the Battlecruiser Millenium picture disappears, and nothing happens. I updated my system profile, downloaded and installed current XP sound and video drivers, and tried again, same result. I then uninstalled BCM, reinstalled it, tried to start w/o any patches. Still didn't work, but instead of the window having the same picture that was on the box, it said SAFEDISC. Uninstalled it, reinstalled it again, patched it to current version (1.0.0.5). Again, nothing happened except the window/picture was Battlecruiser Millenium, with the picture from the box, which promptly disappeared, and nothing happened. Any help you could give would be GREATLY appreciated. BCM worked fine before I upgraded to XP, and now it refuses to. I also tried installing it from BOTH my DVD drive and my CD-R drive, and neither worked.

[ 02-17-2002, 18:33: Message edited by: Dredd ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Nothing to do with BCM. Check your system drivers

Also, WHY are you using
UNSUPPORTED
commandline parameters with BCM - AND - when you are trying to troubleshoot your system?

Thanks for responding SC.

I don't normally use the command line parameters. I was using the parameters while troubleshooting in case the only problem with the start-up was the opening animation or the start-up resolution. I also used the normal start up procedure with no parameters each time.

Do you have any suggestions for what drivers I should check? I already did the video, audio, and CD drivers all to XP versions, and BCM worked fine with Win ME.

Your system profile info data is worthless.

You do not know what type of mobo you have nor do you know what type of BIOS or version you are running.

Which version of XP are you running; Home or Pro?

What do you mean by this:

videocard driver version: Newest

soundcard driver version: Newest

Newest don't mean squat wrt to ATI and Creative products. ATI beta drivers are crap. You should be running the 6.13.10.6015 XP drivers.

So pull you head out from the darkside and provide some relevant and accurate information wrt your System Profile Info.

Then mayhaps ye will get some relevant assistance with your current SNAFU.

TTFN

[ 02-17-2002, 23:31: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Hello,

Whenever you get a new operating system, the best thing to do is backup your data, then wipe the system and install the new operating system, with all drivers meant for the new operating system. Then, if something does not work, follow the standard troubleshooting-procedures. Upgrading from one OS to another usually leaves files and things behind that affect the new operating-system, and may be the cause of lots of trouble.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

Ok, I got all the info I could and put it in my system profile. I'm using WIN XP Home, and all of the previous info about my problem still applies. Also, I tried running it just a few minutes ago and watched the progress of the startup via viewing the "system processes" tab via ctrl+alt+del during the attempted start of the game. The CPU usage by BCM goes up to about 60-70%, then the BCM line disappears and nothing replaces it. I have absolutely no idea what could be causing the load screen to just disappear and for their to be no desktop (the screen before the opening animation/movie disppears to desktop). If anyone else has had a similar problem and is able to advise me on how to fix it, I would deeply appreciate it. (short of reformatting my HDs and reinstalling everything (i'm likely to forget a driver for something during the reformat)

Go to www.madonion.com, download 3DMark2001SE then install and run it.

And how come you know your BIOS model, but not your motherboard? Are you kidding me? Thats not only dangerous, its foolhardy. e.g. if your mobo is based on the VIA chipset, then you need to download the VIA 4-in-1 drivers. If it is an intel 850 chipset and you have UDMA HDD, then you need the Intel Ultra ATA Storage Driver (e.g. if you have an IBM GXP drive capble of UDMA5 burst speed access).

And I think the updated FAQ mentions something about a driver update for winXP related to CDROM drivers and SafeDisc. Its Q/A #3 in the list.

And as Gallion said, your sys info profile is laughable. e.g. depending on how old your mouse is, the latest version of the Intellipoint software from Microsoft, is 4.1.

etc etc etc

This is EXACTLY why not everyone with access to a screwdriver should build a system. Let alone go NEAR one without protective clothing.

You don't need help; you need a good pinpoint accurate DeD, for wasting everyone's time with this crap.

[ 02-18-2002, 09:38: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest Grayfox

eh... sc aint lyin when he says thats foolhardy dredd, because believe it or not, motherboards need drivers too.

most times if you know at least the name of the motherboard, you can find out what chipset it uses for instance my mother board i know is an ASUS CUSL2 and that it uses the i815E chipset. so i can go to the website and download the latest drivers (which i check for often). even if you dont know the name, its in most cases printed right on the motherboard itself... mine is next to the CMOS battery.

also when you first boot up your PC, the plethora of info given to you on that first black screen is what you need. itll tell you bios name and v#, it will tell you video card, and vid card RAM, it will tell you motherboard type, it will tell you system cache, it will tell you how much system RAM you have, AND itll tell you how fast youre processor is and what type it is.

this info is very important like SC and Gallion have been saying, because it gives SC (or his little elves ) ALL the info they need (or most of it anyways) to HELP YOU.

[ 02-18-2002, 15:04: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dredd:

HA HA HA HA HA!!! Thank you all! I downloaded the stuff SC pointed me too, and BCM works now. Must have been the VIA 4 in 1 drivers! Whatever the case, it works! Thanks for all of your time and effort of putting up with my ignorance.

What?!?! You mean no DeD?!?! Well, I'm disappointed.

Anyway, glad you got it worked out. And make sure you update your profile!!!

quote:

SC,

Perhaps it's time you get an Nvidia/SBLive! machine and find out just what the heck is causing all these save game corruptions. Everyone I know has this problems, even a number of forum regulars here well known for publically stating they have 'no problems' running BCM have admitted privately to me that they have corrupted saves at the same rate of frequency I do.

Sorry for being blunt, but just cause YOU can't reproduce it does NOT mean it isn't a problem.

I've tried this game now on no less than 7 different machines, all SBLive! with Nvidia cards, and I get an average of 1 bad save out of 10 on ALL machines.

I've done all SC and others have asked, even bought Windows XP, but the same problem that plagued me on Windows 98SE plagues me now on WinXP.

How about a roll call? Everyone who has problems with corrupted save games, time to speak up! Please, let this be known to SC so he can see the size of this problem.

Thanks.

Idaho

I thought I'd respond to this here since it's not an explicit game bug (that we know of). I've had these problems in the past, reinstalling WIN98se has helped. I still get CTD's, but haven't had a corrupted save game (that I know of) for quite some time.

Additionally, I do not have a SBLive currently. Neither did my old system. I did have CTD's and corrupted saves with the old system. Again, reinstalling Win98se fresh has helped with the corrupted saves.

[ 02-21-2002, 10:40: Message edited by: Spider-man ]

Thanks, I should have posted my bit here I think.

Good move Spidey.

Hmm, just one thing, that was your save that was sent with the reproducable CTD we all tried, right?

That was one form of corrupted save I've seen...

Idaho

ah.

well, for the record, I was defining my terms as this:

1. corrupted save: A saved game that will not load via resume or restore. If sent in to the SC he will report back that it is "corrupted".

2. CTD: Any crash to desktop, at any time, regardless of when a game was saved.

I brought up the idea of CTD's being a manifestation of Corrupted saves and here is the reply I got. lemme see if I can find it...

my question (page 7 of other thread):

quote:

The question is first: What does it mean to have a "corrupted save"? This term has been tossed around the forum a lot and I'm not sure what it means. For instance: Does a "corrupted save" always mean that the save game cannot be loaded (ie: crashes immediately)? Or could a corrupted save cause a delayed crash to desktop or lockup? What I am getting at here is that if there is some mechanism by which people's saves are being corrupted, then this corruption could lead to the crashes to desktop and lockups some of us have been experiencing. If I start a new campaign and continue to play it without saving I seem to have a bit less trouble (fewer CTD's and lockups over time) than if i have saved the game multiple times. Anyway, i'd like to hear how a savegame gets corrupted, what this means, and what can be done to prevent it.

the answer:

quote:

Saved game corruption can manifest itself in any number of ways

1. HDD failure e.g. lost clusters etc

2. System failure e.g. bad clusters (from #1) being written while the file is saved

3. Incompatible saved games e.g. using 1.0.03 saved games with 1.0.04. This usually happens if you applied a patch incorrectly or didn't delete all the files in the SAVE game folder when applying a patch which specifically indicates that the file format has changed.

Resuming or restoring a game which then fails, does NOT necessarily mean it is the saved game. Once the file is loaded, the screen then switches to the configured graphics mode, all the graphics engine requirements (buffers, res etc) are all loaded. Now, if the graphics card settings (either in display properties, BIOS, DirectX etc) are suspect, it will fail to init and will exit or give a hard lockup. This is one way in which a saved game can be suspected of crashing the system, when in fact it is NOT necessarily at fault.

So, what I take from this is that the CTD's may or may NOT be due to corrupted save games.

Spidey,

Understood, and you're right, (SC's right I mean), it probably isn't the save that's corrupt, but something the save wants to do when loaded isn't working properly on systems similar to mine (at the least).

I should remember not to use that term ("corrupted save") as we don't know that's what the problem is.

I just have some hope that eventually the cause of this will get ferreted out, whether it's in the game or our drivers/system.

Idaho

quote:

Originally posted by Duncan Idaho:

Spidey,

Understood, and you're right, (SC's right I mean), it probably isn't the save that's corrupt, but something the save wants to do when loaded isn't working properly on systems similar to mine (at the least).

I should remember not to use that term ("corrupted save") as we don't know that's what the problem is.

I just have some hope that eventually the cause of this will get ferreted out, whether it's in the game or our drivers/system.

Idaho

If you DO have a saved game that refuses to load, send it in and I'll take a look. Just to be sure.

Hello,

Just thought I'd post up this little bit of info for anyone who may have some of the save game issues some have mentioned:

I found one thing that does make this problem happen less often: Drivers for the SBLive!.

Here's what I found: I had the problem pretty hard a week or so ago. After reading around here, I dug in and read through every old post I could find, and I found an oldie by Soback where he mentioned new SBLive! drivers on Creative's web page.

I knew about them, I had them, and had installed them. But, here's where things may have worked against me. Using Windows XP now, I foolishly let Windows Update decide it was okay to 'update' my SBLive! drivers to 'newer' ones.

Well, putting it shortly, they MAY have been newer, but they sure didn't fix some problems that the drivers from Creative's website did.

So lesson learned: Sometimes 'newer' doesn't equal 'better', and between the last two patches, and those SBLive! drivers, I've had FAR less trouble, and only 1 save I couldn't load at all in the last 2 weeks. Big improvement.

Hope this helps any who may be dealing with this one. And thanks to Soback for that little gem he posted here God knows how long ago. It made me think. Thinking is a GOOD thing! (Once one get's used to that burning smell)

Idaho

[ 02-28-2002, 00:01: Message edited by: Duncan Idaho ]