System Configuration Issues

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, xierxior, they all look good, now! I, too, thought it was some kind of bug (the first one I noticed was really screwed up, and in a remote location), but between you and SC, I got slapped back to reality. D*mn those vacpacks!

quote:

Originally posted by xierxior:

Hey Fractux go into your bcmmodelanimations folder and delete.

Post results.

If the patch was applied properly, those files will NOT exist. Obviously, any fool with these files lying around, did NOT apply the 1.0.06 (full or update) patch from the folder where the game was installed;hence the batch file which deletes them, couldn't because it won't fine them.

quote:

Dont ask me why this fixes it, all thes do is control the hanger bay door animations which arnt enabled anyways.

It will cause a problem because those INI files are attempting to reference obsolete .3D files (animations) which do NOT exist. Both the INI files and the .3D animations they are trying to access, must be deleted in order to avoid problems such as this.

THIS is EXACTLY the kind of crap I have ZERO patience for. One spends so much frigging time writing instructions and some bastards decide they're going to ignore them and cause a ruckus in the interim.

Here is what the KILLEM.BAT file embedded in the 1.0.06 patch does

code:

@echo off

del .savep*.* >nul

del .modelsanimategalcomhq.ini >nul

del .modelsanimategammula.ini >nul

del .modelsanimatesstat*.ini >nul

del .modelsanimategamm*.3d >nul

del .modelsanimateghqbay*.3d >nul

del .modelsanimatess*.3d >nul

del .modelsfld.3d >nul

del .modelsmoon.3d >nul

del .modelsplanet.3d >nul

del .modelsnull.3d >nul

[ 03-07-2002, 10:32: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

SC,

What about 1.0.0.7 full?

Reason I ask:

I uninstalled BCM. I then deleted the whole 3000ad folder. I reinstalled BCM. I copied the 1.0.0.7 full patch into the Battlecruiser Millennium folder, then ran it, and it patched fast.

I have those files, though.

And just found out I have (had) the problem. I went to Genesis for the first time with 1.0.0.7, and it's messed up like the screenshots these two have posted.

It's fixed now, but thought I should ask why those files would still be on my PC since I know I patched correctly?

Idaho

quote:

Originally posted by Duncan Idaho:

SC,

What about 1.0.0.7 full?

Reason I ask:

It should do the same thing. I just checked it.

Only the 1007_update patch doesn't do this, since the 1006_update already did.

This could be one of those obscure OS issues, because I just tried it and it works just fine on my end.

If you copy that code above and put it in a .bat file, then execute it from the BCM install folder, it will delete all the irrelevant files.

I'm going to look into this some more and see if it is an rtPatch problem.

Did you try the 1.0.06 (full) patch to see if it actually deletes these files?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

SC,

What about 1.0.0.7 full?

Reason I ask:

It should do the same thing. I just checked it.

Only the 1007_update patch doesn't do this, since the 1006_update already did.

This could be one of those obscure OS issues, because I just tried it and it works just fine on my end.

If you copy that code above and put it in a .bat file, then execute it from the BCM install folder, it will delete all the irrelevant files.

I'm going to look into this some more and see if it is an rtPatch problem.

Did you try the 1.0.06 (full) patch to see if it actually deletes these files?

I'll be right back, I'll try it. Pretty sure it must have, because I didn't have the problem.

I'll check to see that 1.0.0.6 did, then reinstall and see if 1.0.0.7 repeats the problem.

Idaho

Okay, SC,

Did the proper patch to 1.0.0.6 (full), worked fine, it did delete those files.

Uninstalled, deleted BC's folder, and reinstalled. Patched to 1.0.0.7 (full) again, those files remained.

So I can confirm that, at least for me, something quirked out on the patch 1.0.0.7 full.

I did as you said, created the batch file, ran it, problem solved. (Thanks for posting it up, I'm in the playing mood heheh)

Idaho

[ 03-07-2002, 11:20: Message edited by: Duncan Idaho ]

Not thats really odd because the patch script has not changed. The only time that a patch will not delete and/or update files is if it can't find the folders.

At any rate, if someone applied the 1.0.06 patch (full or update) and then the 1.0.07 patch (update), then thats OK too.

Anyway, I've just rebuilt the patch file again and tested it. I even used your method above and it works fine here. BUT, I've put in some idiot proof path checking and have re-uploaded the files to the mirrors.

I have also updated the VCF with some critical info regarding this issue. And also snuck in one minor addition to this version (AE stats).

UPDATE: Looks like the 3DGamer mirror has already been updated with the patch refresh.

[ 03-07-2002, 12:24: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

You're the best. Grabbing the new patch, (For the future, I'm actually all set).

On second thought, I'll try it, good test, you agree?

Idaho

[ 03-07-2002, 12:41: Message edited by: Duncan Idaho ]

quote:

This fool reports your foolproof pathing works fine now.

(Couldn't resist the wording).

Idaho

LMAO!!! Actually, I don't think you're a fool. Your previous test above, is what primarily caused me to put in this foolproof checking anyway.

Good. That settles that I think. Can't see how anyone could screw that up now.

btw, thanks to Xierxior for even bringing this up. We'd never have known about it otherwise - and those gits who download patches out-of-order or apply them improperly, would still be b*itching.

[ 03-07-2002, 13:11: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

If the patch was applied properly, those files will NOT exist. Obviously, any fool with these files lying around, did NOT apply the 1.0.06 (full or update) patch from the folder where the game was installed;hence the batch file which deletes them, couldn't because it won't fine them.

Now I really do feel like the horse's *ss. Normally, I download the patch right into my BCM folder, but for some reason, this time I didn't. My apologies.

At any rate, I'm starting over with a fresh install, following the instructions in the forum archives (I think that's where they are).

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

....I'm off to Sygan to investigate the Sygan Triangle Wish me luck.

Heheh, wonder if it'll show for you? Gallion said he couldn't reproduce it.

Best of luck!

Idaho

quote:

...and those gits who download patches out-of-order or apply them improperly, would still be b*itching

This "git" won't be b*itching for a while, but you better watch it, I find ingeneous ways to screw things up

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Cheers!

Same goes for me here; I can screw things up rather ingeniously, without even knowing it.

What's this about a Sygan Triangle?

• 2 weeks later...

When trying to start game, I get the 3klogo screen then and then game fails with send error to MS prompt... upgraded video card and system board drivers, but problem still persist. I also tried it on same computer with Win98 on another drive. When starting 3klogo, an error is returned saying it can't play the file, but I can get into game. However, when I try to go into configurations screen at any time, game crashes and sends me back to desktop.

I was wondering if anyone else was using a TNT-2 card, and if they could share their experience with me. The game runs perfectly, with two exceptions: I still have the prescan crash problem periodically, and I still have opaque rebuilding structures which, as I understand, are related to driver problems.

If anyone else has had these problems with a TNT-2 card, and solved them, I would appreciate any imput they could offer.

I understand from the FAQ that the det 3 1080 or 1101 are recommended for TNT-2 cards, but the problems persist when I try those drivers, and I find I generally get better performance with the newest Nvidia drivers that are indicated in my system profile.

The only information I can add to my system profile is that I run the game on the lowest recommended gaphics setting except that, as per the FAQ, I run with in 32 bit screen depth to correct problems with model rendering, which although it unfortunatly reduces performance, is necessary.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've got a problem that prevents me from playing BCM. I can install the game fine, but when I use the shortcut in the start menu, or directly in the BCM folder, a box titled Access Denied is created and superimposed over all other windows. The text of this box reads: Please login with administrator privileges and try again.

The problem with this is that I am running Windows XP and my user account is that of a Computer Admin, note that there is another, original, Computer Admin account on the computer in which all other accounts were created.

I've been working through this problem with BC tech support and they recently said to post this problem on the forum in the hopes that someone will have already had this problem and solved it. So far I've done the following:

1. Uninstalled and then deleted the BCM folder, and then downloaded and run updatesecdrive and DirectX 8.1. Then installed BCM, copied the patch (1.0.07 Full patch, refreshed version) into the folder and ran it through Explorer, then starting up BCM through the shortcut.

2. Uninstalled and deleted the BCM folder, then logged off and logged in again as the orginal Computer Admin. Then installed BCM, copied the patch (1.0.07 Full patch, refreshed version) into the folder and ran it through Explorer, then starting up BCM through the shortcut.

I have been told by BC Tech Support that they suspect:

"...that the problem you are having is in logging in as a user. That user may NOT have all the rights as an admin."

In addition to BC Tech Support, I have also contacted Microsoft who claimed that Windows XP was not at fault and I have also checked the CD which has a scratch, although I am told by BC Tech Support that if this was a problem then it would not install.

If someone has any answers to this problem could you please help me as I've had this fine game for almost a fortnight now, and all I want to do is join the Mandorian navy and start retaking Rinaal.

Thanks very much. Nick Comber