Random crashes

SIlent_Gunner

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update your drivers for your video card (Gforce 4 MX 440). Your current driver is 4.1.0.9 and 4.3.4.5 is the most current. I've found that current video drivers solve most random crashed like you're describing. Plus I'm running that driver on my card and it's running smooth as can be.

I do not think that this is video card/driver related. I have experienced simuliar symptoms when I was running a Via chipset based system. Haven't had any of those problems since I dumped the Via chipset mobo with my current one.

1. You are running 1.08.RC36; this is obsolete. Download and install BCM 1.08 FINAL patch.

2. According to the data you provided in your System Profile, your sound card looks to be on-board the motherboard. Which means it is not a real PCI Sound Card (i.e. SB Audigy Gamer, SC turtle Beach SC, etc.). Check the Asus tech support boards/forums (www.viahardware.com) and install the latest Via 4-in-1 Mobo and Sound drivers.

3. Peruse the BCM FAQ, Sound card issues. I has to set the Sound Hardware acceleration to Basic (one tick mark from the left). This can be done at the Sound tab of dxdiag.

TTFN

[ 04-15-2003, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Guest JuanFermin

I was having similar problem as well with the Via chip set. I had a Gforce 2 on that computer and noticed that it was running in PCI compatibility mode. It seemed that nothing I did would fix it. Finally figured it out. It was the AGP driver that needed updating, plus in the Bios had to init the bus on AGP instead of PCI, finally had to get the "Detonator Distroyer", though I can't remember where I got it from. Had to remove all references of the PCI driver, before the Nvidia AGP driver would load.... whew!!! took me a half a day to get it all done, but after that, no more crashes

P.S. Got a Radeon 9000 after that.. sorry Nvidia but you're just too picky on the systems you will run on!

Hate to argue but my setup is fairly close to the one giving problems here - I have the same motherboard/sound card with the same AMD chip however I have a geforece 4 4200 video card instead of the MX.

Silent_Gunner how did you patch the game - I am pretty sure your config should be stable. Let me know though or PM me I'll help in anyway I can.

Ok, I just formatted about 2 months ago... installed all my drivers, applications, games ect.

BCM is on my D drive and has plenty of space on it.... also read the directions on the download page for the patch instructions....

But I am downloading new drivers for my agp and VIA chipset right now

quote:

Originally posted by Silent_Gunner:

Just to let everyone know this is BCM not BCMG

We know. Thats why you have this info in your system profile.

Anyway, the problems you are having do not appear to be BCM related.

#1. I got a pm from Emmett.hendrick and he thought I was talking about BCMG so I thought I would clerify that

#2. Fermin; thank you for the tips... I did what you said and it works great...

#3. Gallion; the sound card drivers are seperate from the VIA 4 in 1 drivers... dont ask me thats what I found and I had no idea that there was a FINAL update.. thank you for pointing that out

Hey Guys,

I think I may have a crash issue of my own that is a little different than this one. My system profile is nearly up to date, the only thing that I need to change is the video driver version, which is now 43.45. (I have to find my old BCM serial number so I can log in and update my profile to reflect BCMG)

The issue is with BCMG.

I will start a game and save it right away, it does not matter if it is roam or campaign. After a while of playing, the computer will suddenly reboot and when I start the game up again and try to load my last saved game, it will make it to the "Game Loaded-OK" screen and then BAM! Reboot. When I start the game after this second reboot my profile and saved games have been deleted.

I have done a full uninstall/reinstall, and played again. Not long into the game it will do this again. It happens anywhere, whether I am in TacOps, logged into a base, or just flying around.

I am certain that everything is up to date in my profile, other than now having the latest drivers for my GeForce (43.45).

Has anyone else had this issue? I don't mean to invoke wrath or anything, and I hope this post makes sense.

[ 04-18-2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Korono Lakeela ]

Ok don't have BCMG yet but I will give it a try.

I assume this happens with just BCMG and not other games ;-)

You don't mention what type of soundcard you have but you might try turning down the audio acceleration in DXDIAG (START - RUN - DXDIAG - SOUNDS)

Secondly what resolution you running BCMG at - as a troubleshooting step try running at a lower res and try turning off some options(contrails and the like) if this works turn one on at a time till you find the culprit.

Thirdly I've already made one assumption in this post(which is frankly more than I am comfortable doing) SO if you don't save immediatly does your machine still reboot. If you play for five minutes and then save do you still get the same problem?

Let me know!

Korono -

1. Update your sound device drivers. Your mobo has built in sound card. You do not indicate the version of your sound device in your system information profile.

2. Do what Emmett and me posted.

3. Please post results.

TTFN

Thats a copy.

I run the game at 1024x768 and 1280x1024, does not make a difference.

As for the saved game corruption. It doesn't matter if I save at the start or while into the game. It will crash even if I don't save, and if I hit "resume" upon reboot, the same result will happen as a "restore".

I will update the sound driver and post the info and results when I get home from work tonight.

Will keep you informed...

Much appreciated...

Lakeela, it sounds like a memory problem, not related to the game, especially if your reboot is random. I had a similar problem when I made my computer a while ago. After running for a couple hours, my computer would reboot, and the reboot would be unrelated to what I was doing at the time. I realize that your said your reboots occur in game, but I can't help but notice that I've had to deal with similar sounding problems

Try running another game to see if the reboot occurs in that one (Who knows, it could be related to memory usage). If your computer ever starts rebooting randomly, regardless of what you're doing, then replace your memory.

Mind, I could be completely wrong, but when I had that problem, it confused me to no end, and I would have liked advice like this. Either way, good luck at finding the solution.

/Stad

Straded, I think you may be on to something. The problem has begun to manifest itself in a non-BCMG enviroment. I think perhaps I may have picked up a nasty somewhere, so I think it is time for a re-format.

Thank you Emmett and Gallion for you help on this too. I look forward to diving back into the game once my PC has been cleansed.

Something I forgot to mention, check the Event logs Start>Programs>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Event Viewer>System and Application

Sometimes (a rare sometimes) the event log actually has usefull information instead of worthless event IDs.

TTFN

Guest JuanFermin

quote:

Originally posted by Korono Lakeela:

I think you may be on to something. The problem has begun to manifest itself in a non-BCMG enviroment.

I noticed that you have an MSI K7N2, I'm assuming with the built in Gforce4. 1st thing you want to do is make sure that you are assigning enough memory if it does have the built in Gforce4. Second thing about this particular board is that it's extrememly easy to overclock it and set it up for a much higher Mhz rating than what your CPU was built for. If this is the case then you might want to take it down a notch and either way, double check that the fan that you have is up to the task. This board also allows you to set the bandwith on the memory. Make sure you have it set to the speed of your SLOWEST memory stick. Also this board works best with all 3 memory slots taken up. 2 of them work in a dual channel mode which can provide high bursts of speed and the third works in a single channel mode. If you only have the single channel slot taken up, you will have problems. Finally, the latest driver set for the Nforce2 chipset on the k7n2 series is Feb. 2, 2003. Make sure you have the latest set of drivers. Especially the AGP driver set.

I have experienced the following twice, once docked at GalcomHQ, and once while orbiting earth, Roam scenario, following the BCM Strategy Guide 01 from the web:

After accessing COMMLINK then clearing the comm log causes an immediate CTD on my system. Pressing the CLEAR button is fine, it is the answer prompt that crashes it.

Smokin Bob