Bad saved games

Twitch

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

Sometimes when you exit a game, remnants of that game remain in the swap file and if you try restoring a previously saved game or something like that WITHOUT restarting, you end up with an error because the new game conflicts with what's in the Swap file.

Rubbish

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Rubbish

Then I guess I don't know. I had that problem A LOT before I upgraded to 512Megs of RAM, perhaps the fact that it uses the swap file a lot causes some level of corruption in the saved game.

Either way, More Ram=Less problems

I am starting to have the save game problem as well. When I restore the game, it hangs right around the "linking " message. Usually, I hear the bridge chatter turn on and it hangs. I found, though that if I restore a previous game save, then exit, then restore the later game save, it works. I then immediately saved it, but the game save won't restore either. I am currently on TODO2/2 of original BCM ACM. I will keep trying though

- Eric

Add me to this list. I was afraid I would have a problem when using Alt-Q failed to exit the game, so I tried a quick save. Now I can't restore my original game.

I've tried all of the things listed here and it's a no go. Get's as far as "game loaded OK" then when it's time to display the graphics I get CTD.

New games and other restores work fine.

Oh well...it's a shame I lost all that time, but I imagine I'll start a new one since the game is so awesome (Thanks Derek!), I just hope it's not a regular occurence.

Running BCMG at 1280x1024 32 bit everything, music off, effects on.

[ 05-08-2003, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: Grizzle ]

quote:

Originally posted by Grizzle:

I've tried all of the things listed here and it's a no go. Get's as far as "game loaded OK" then when it's time to display the graphics I get CTD.

Let me take a look at your saved game. I'll bet its corrupted.

I have a feeling that the Quick Save may be causing problems in some cases and I'm probably going to disable it in the next patch.

Are most of you using Quick Save?

quote:

Originally posted by fenixfireblade:

For me quick save is so unreliable I don't use it at all anymore. I've been saving my current game exclusively with save and exit. Doesn't seem to help.

Obviously the full save does work or everybody would be having a problem with it, right? Right. Now siddown and unless you have something interesting and revealing to post about this issue, DON'T POST!

quote:

Originally posted by Grizzle:

Sent the saved game to your tech support email.

I hope not, because that email address deletes all mail with attachments.

Read the forum archives for procedures on how to send in request saved games.

I only save and exit. I had saved at two points relatively close in time. The first was the one I wanted to restore (the second had me down for a violation when I missed an illegal item in my inventory). After playing the second, I was unable to restore the first save game (same symptoms that people are posting about), even after re-booting. I found though, that after starting a new game (or even a much earlier save game), I was able to restore the save I wanted (the one several minutes prior to getting the violation). I then played for about half an hour and saved in a new slot. When I go home tonight, I will see if it restores.

(Please note that my current sig is my office machine- I will put my home profile on later).

[ 05-08-2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: EricR ]

Guest Private Cyberoket

My load problems were solved instantly by Shuting down "PROPERLY", wait while the computer wipes memory. 30sec to 1min. Then re boot re load restore.(I also added the -x0 command to "end" of BCM shortcut.) My problem was solved.

[ 05-26-2003, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Private Cyberoket ]

I find if i do a quick save or alt+Q out i get a game crash after loading that save, the game loads up, then seconds after it crashes. I managed to get around it by loading up the game, and quickly after do a full save before it crashes again, then it works fine.

I guess quick saving is a bad idea as mentioned above.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Are most of you using Quick Save?

I use the save and exit,

I tried defragging(which it needed), dropping my sound accl down all the way, and both seemed to work.(I should of used steps instead of trying both @ the same time so i think its the dfrag that saved the day or the chicken)

just to be sure, what should i do to avoid this from happening again?

because sacrificing chickens is getting expensive for voodoo shaman Atomic

thnx

the atomic voodoo n00b

!Update! : I created a step by step for troubleshooting

Step 1 Defrag HD

Issue resolved? No

Step 2 lower sound accl one notch then all the way

issue resolved? No

Step 3 lower video accl down one notch

issue resolved? No

Step 4 add -x0 to shortcut issue resolved? no

Step 5 load previous saved game under my AE then exit and then load the save thats having problems

Issue Resolved? My god its full of stars. yes it did. I don't think it means my save is courrupt, any one have any ideas what would cause this?

PS SC I would like thank you for a great game, and i'm down for the long haul.

[ 05-17-2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: ThinkAtomic ]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Private Cyberoket

After the load problems resurfaced I've been deleating the "BCconfig" file in the BCM folder after every save/exit. And not one load problem since.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not to shoot this off topic but, for all of the folks having this save game problem. I had that *exact* same problem and I fought tooth and nail with those trying to help me (including the SC occasionally) that it wasn't my computer that it was the game. At this point in my BC life, I've learned one undeniable thing. It's not the game. No matter how much you think it is. It isn't. It's a driver, or a setting, or something. BC3000AD is one of the most complex games I've ever seen and as such it requires your computer to be operating very efficently/stablely. It's the way computer games SHOULD be made. So don't lose heart, keep trying all the things everyone is suggesting.

To help get back on topic, my "fix" for this issue was:

A.)Video card drivers

B.)Sound card drivers

C.)Mouse drivers

D.)BIOS Flash(Update)

E.)Folks with VIA MOBs can make some changes in the bios as well. Go from 8X to 4X in the video aperture size and for the video memory thing go to half of your video cards available memory.

he created a thread yesterday (which I deleted) in which he listed the files in the SAVE folder. Of course, the reason he can't load saved games is because he's been pissing around with the files.

Each saved game has three files. Without those three files in the "set", you cannot restore a game (it won't show up in restore screen) and you can only resume the last game you were playing.

Guest jascatar

okay

The files have suddently disapeared ... mmmmmmm ....

okay, let's go so ...

but how to explain that if I restore a saved game, why I can't restore it only the fourth time approximately ?

sound drivers are motherboard

video driver is the last one

bios too

via too

I have noticed that i haved icons problems mith nvidia 41.xx. But it's normal because these drivers was bugged.

What to say more ...

I see that i'm not the only one, and that reassures me

I'm on Windows 2003 Server

Guest jascatar

ok, i have founded the problem : it's Windows 2003 server that goes wrong (not the drivers that are all updated monthly)

To work, you must go on the properties of bcm.exe, select "Compatibility", and enable compatibility mode for Windows 2000.

And no more problems ..... All work nicely now

Another thing you can try is hopping around your computer in a counter clockwise direction, on your right leg, with your hand in your left pocket, with your left eye closed, while singing the theme song from Gilligan's Island.....

Folks, there is no "trick" to making this game work. You follow the install instructions to the letter, you make sure you meet the min reqs, and it goes!

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

Another thing you can try is hopping around your computer in a counter clockwise direction, on your right leg, with your hand in your left pocket, with your left eye closed, while singing the theme song from Gilligan's Island.....

Folks, there is no "trick" to making this game work. You follow the install instructions to the letter, you make sure you meet the min reqs, and it goes!

So what you are saying is games are incapable of crashing, and are compatable with every computer format? It has nothing to do with the way you install the game. Installation is too, easy, click here load there. You can't really mess that up.

quote:

So what you are saying is games are incapable of crashing

Never said that, or even alluded to that.

quote:

compatable with every computer format?

Didn't say that either, bud.

quote:

It has nothing to do with the way you install the game

In that case, assuming your right and that the install has nothing to do with the game running properly, I think it's a safe bet to say the install has about as much to do with it as say....waiting 5 or 10 seconds before doing anything when reloading a saved game?

quote:

Installation is too, easy, click here load there. You can't really mess that up.

And yet people do. All the time.

Waiting 5 to 10 seconds has plenty to do with it because, like refered eirlier in this thread, if your HD is not formatted, or not formatted properly, it will take time for the program to read data from the HD. And any key stroke or action required within the game may cause the game to freeze, or go into suspension, while it is still trying to collect data, even after the program is running. The game doesn't just read from your HD at the start up screen, it constantly uploads data. I'm not trying to be offensive, just offering my advice. I apologize if there is any mistake.