Keeps looking for the correct cd in win2K

Brucebia

Just received BCMGold .

I removed the old BCM, Shutdown all running programs and the install went without any problem.

When trying to start the game it asks for the correct CD although the cd is in the drive.

DreamCatcher Support says I should send the disk back to EBGames. I really dont believe the cd is faulty.

Any suggestions ?????

Thank you

--------------------

System Spec.

Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service Pack 3

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.26GHz

Memory: 254MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0 (4.09.0000.0900)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600

Display Memory: 128.0 MB

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version: 6.13.0010.4109 (English)

The game install is different from the CD check (SafeDisc 2.0) that the game exe uses. If you can't get it to recognize it, then yes, you should trade it in.

However, last time I checked, those pricks over at www.gamecopyworld.com has a CD crack for it already. Since its your copy you paid for, you might want to go over there and see if you can find it. If nothing else, it will save you a trip back to EB.

Hang on. Before you go returning it try taking it out and closing the cd door. Then open it again and put BCMG back in and close the door. See if that works.

XP does that to me as well. I can remove BCMG and put Railroad Tycoon in and it still thinks it has BCMG.

Restarting the comp works too. Dunno why this happens but I have experienced it as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

Hang on. Before you go returning it try taking it out and closing the cd door. Then open it again and put BCMG back in and close the door. See if that works.

XP does that to me as well. I can remove BCMG and put Railroad Tycoon in and it still thinks it has BCMG.

Restarting the comp works too. Dunno why this happens but I have experienced it as well.

That usually happens if autorun/autoplay are disabled. The OS won't know that the CD has been replaced.

Thank you for the help.

I tried all the open -close , restart suggestions and none of them seem to work

I did find the no-disc crack and the game does start but it appears that there is no multi-player selection in the main menu.

Guess I will try to return the disk to EBGames.

Is a pain since I ordered it from their web site.

Oh well.

Thanks again for tthe quick response.

Its always best to know when your in trouble rather than trying every thing in sight..

Thank you.

I read all of that, I think , carefully.

There is no shortcut to the multiplayer game.

At least none that I can find.

SC: do you think I have a "bad" version of Gold.

I can' seem to find the version number anywhere.

I assume it is supposed to be 1.04

Thank you for the help.

Thank you.

I have 2 computers available here.

It does not work on either one.

I will try my Granddaughters machine this weekend.

In the meantime I ran over to EBGames in the Mall near me and got a replacement copy.

I have the same problem with the replacement disk.

I find it hard to believe it is the disk.

If anyone is using win2K please let me know if you can get it to work. It would be a great help to know.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Well just got BCM:G. Took some doing, ended up ordering off the internet (strategic plus software), as not managed to find a shop in UK that stocks. I've hit the problem with it not picking up the CD correctly when starting the game. I'm running windows XP pro, CD-Drive and the DVD are both recent (6 months for the DVD and about a year for the CD-Drive), and never had any problem with any other safedisc 2 game. Not going to take the CD back, as dont believe thats whats causing the problem. Unfortunatly had to go with SC's original reply to get it to work, which is a shame. Im a long running BC fan, and even have the original silver box version. Be nice if a fix for this problem could be found. I'll test on another PC this weekend, and see if it still gives the same error.

quote:

Originally posted by Dunk:

Be nice if a fix for this problem could be found.

Yeah, the problem is that (a) it has nothing to do with me i.e. its a SafeDisc issue (B) I can't fix what I can't reproduce etc

I have a suspicion that the problem might be linked to a clash with something else on the system. I'm digging out my spare 8 gig hdd later today, and putting a fresh install of win2k on it. I'll give it a test on this, and see if the problem still appears. I do quite a lot of work related stuff on my XP system, so I have a suspicion that it may be something else thats installed that is causing the problem. I'll keep the forum updated as to how it goes.

Well I confirmed my suspicions. Fresh install of Win2k, Nvidia drivers, SBlive drivers and DirectX9 from the BCM:G cd and the game runs fine, not a single sniff of a problem.

I think the clash might come from cd writing software, as Nero installs its own aspi drivers, and when I've had it crash before, it causes problems with other applications.

It would be useful if anyone else who's come across this problem could also do this test, as then it wouldn't just be my input.

Well I just uninstalled Nero on the XP setup, rebooted and installed a fresh copy of BCM:G and it works fine. No CD check errors. Looks like this is what is causing this error, for me at least.

Continuing my tests on this, I tried alchohol 120% as an alternative, and this causes the CD check problem also. Again, uninstalled it and reboot and it works fine.

quote:

Continuing my tests on this, I tried alchohol 120% as an alternative, and this causes the CD check problem also. Again, uninstalled it and reboot and it works fine.

wot?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

wot?

Now that's a good one. He had all of us believing that he got drunk thinking that it would help fix his problem but the game still would not work

[ 07-07-2003, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]

Thats the software, although I got the trial from another site. Never used the software, so don't even know if its any good. It just came up in Google as one of the alternatives to Nero. Be interesting to see if DirectCD causes the problem also, I'm sure I got it free on a CD with the burner (just need to find it amongst all the junk in my room).

Well, getting drunk wouldn't fix the problem, but it'd sure make you feel better about not getting BC run. At least till the morning, and the hangover kicks in ...

Great game SC, im adding more to my collection of Resnig classics every day

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

Alcohol 120% is excellent software. However, with that said, it's used for completly different purposes then what your trying to do.

Hence my confusion

I have the latest Nero version installed on a WIN2K Pro SP4 machine and it works just fine. But I have InCD disabled (I have no idea why those pricks insist on installing it - and with no uninstaller unless you go fish around in the registry. I use NTI FileCD, which is better) so that might be whats causing the problem on your end.