Problem during installation

During installation, I have a problem almost the same as the one mentioned in this thread: http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?u...t=000004#000000

But, instead of crashing, I get an error message: "Error 1305.Error reading from file C:Battlecruiser Millennium Goldgfxfrontendlbases.zip. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."

Well, I looked in the directory, and the file is indeed there, but when I try to open it manually it says that it's corrupted. Is there a problem with the CD? I've tried the installation several times, and even tried installing to different directories. But my efforts were futile. The same error kept coming up. I had my antivirus software off each time I installed, and I closed everything that I could, but that didn't help. I also cleaned out my temp directories, but that didn't help, either.

These are my system specs:

P4 3.06 Ghz

GeForce4 Ti 4200

512 megs of RAM

SB Audigy w/1394

WinXP Home

I've looked around in the forums and the FAQ for possible solutions to this problem, but I didn't find anything about it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Eightball Maniac:

During installation, I have a problem almost the same as the one mentioned in this thread:
http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?u...t=000004#000000

Uninstall the game according to the guidelines in the FAQ and run CHKDSK or something. You may have bad sector on your HDD to which the file may have been copied. Then try re-installing.

I was referring to Game_Ender's problem, btw. Guess I should have said that...

Anyway, I've never had the game installed once! I just bought it, and it keeps giving me that error.

I ran CHKDSK, and there wasn't anything wrong with my HDD, so it must be something else.

Oh, the BCMG CD doesn't autorun, either. That any help?

Thanks.

Blast, I uninstalled it and started reinstalling it because the game wouldn't start, and I can't get through the installation now...

EDIT - Okay, this is screwy. Now sometimes it will finish installing after I hit 'retry' and sometimes it doesn't. VERY odd.

[ 05-25-2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Eightball Maniac ]

quote:

Blast, I uninstalled it and started reinstalling it because the game wouldn't start, and I can't get through the installation now...

EDIT - Okay, this is screwy. Now sometimes it will finish installing after I hit 'retry' and sometimes it doesn't. VERY odd.

Hey have you tried the cd in another PC to see if it plays ok?

Do you have any problems with other CDs?

It may be a problem with the CD or the drive so lets start there and work up from there eh? Let me know if that helps any!

Sounds like you have a problem with the CD drive. See if you can copy the CD to your HDD and then run the SETUP.EXE program from your HDD.

If the BCM.INI file exits on your system, then AUTORUN will not work. I did that in order to prevent the game from trying to install each time you put the CD in your CDROM drive. When you uninstall PROPERLY, this file is removed.

No, the CD drive runs other CDs just fine.

I've got BCMG to install again, and the game works fine once I turn off the starting movies.

And after I installed it completely the first time, I uninstalled it with add/remove, and then I went back to install again and the autorun still didn't work. It didn't work when I put the CD into my drive for the very first time, either.

But I do have the game installed, and it seems to work fine. Just the autorun doesn't seem to work at all, and then I have to have the intro movies turned off for the game to start - even after applying the fix.

Thanks.

quote:

I've got BCMG to install again, and the game works fine once I turn off the starting movies.

uhm, I thought you said you couldn't get it to install? So how did this topic change to something else that has already been discussed to death? (the disabling of the Dreamcatcher intro movie).

quote:

And after I installed it completely the first time, I uninstalled it with add/remove, and then I went back to install again and the autorun still didn't work. It didn't work when I put the CD into my drive for the very first time, either.

Then you must have Autorun disabled on your computer. As I said before, IF the BCM.INI file does not exist (I bet you didn't bother to search your computer for it, did you?), it will execute it. It has been this way since BCM was released back in November 2001. If you don't uninstall the game properly - from Add/Remove Programs- then that BCM.INI file will NOT be deleted.

quote:

and then I have to have the intro movies turned off for the game to start

Again, this has already been discussed to DEATH.

quote:

even after applying the fix.

wot fix?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

uhm, I thought you said you couldn't get it to install? So how did this topic change to something else that has already been discussed to death? (the disabling of the Dreamcatcher intro movie).

quote:

Then you must have Autorun disabled on your computer. As I said before, IF the BCM.INI file does not exist (I bet you didn't bother to search your computer for it, did you?), it will execute it. It has been this way since BCM was released back in November 2001. If you don't uninstall the game properly - from Add/Remove Programs- then that BCM.INI file will NOT be deleted.

quote:

and then I have to have the intro movies turned off for the game to start

Again, this has already been discussed to DEATH.

quote:

even after applying the fix.

wot fix?

Originally I couldn't get the game to install at all. Then it actually went through the installation when I hit retry on the same error window that popped up during one of my attempts. But it doesn't finish installing every time I do that.

As I said before, the autorun wouldn't work even when I put the CD into the drive for the very first time. I have never had any of the Battlecruiser games installed on this computer before, so there is no way that BCM.ini could have been on here. Autorun works for other CDs just fine.

As for the intro movie, I never asked about how to turn that off in this thread. I found out from the FAQ.

What fix? The one mentioned in the FAQ:

"Q. I JUST BOUGHT A NEW SYSTEM THAT CAME WITH WINXP SERVICE PACK 1 AND THE GAME WON'T PLAY THE INTRO OR EXPLOSIONS

A. With the September 2002 update to Windows XP (known as Service Pack 1), Microsoft is no longer distributing any version of

the Indeo codecs with its operating system. This only affects users with new PCs that are shipping with Windows XP Service

Pack 1, or clean installs of Windows XP SP1 on an older system. Installation upgrades of SP1 and the use of Windows Update

does not remove existing Indeo codecs from your system.

Microsoft now have a fix via their KB 327979 article"

Maybe that isn't considered a "fix", but that still didn't let the intro movie work. But I turned it off, so that isn't a problem.

My copy (Gamestop version) never triggered an autorun first time inserting the disc. I ran d:setup.exe from start-->run. I noticed there is no autorun.inf on the disc, is there some other way to invoke autorun? I had no trouble installing the game otherwise. I just assumed BCM:G didn't use autorun.

quote:

As for the intro movie, I never asked about how to turn that off in this thread. I found out from the FAQ.

Thats the point I was making. If you turned it off properly, you should never have the intro play at all. Period.

quote:

What fix? The one mentioned in the FAQ:

Maybe that isn't considered a "fix", but that still didn't let the intro movie work. But I turned it off, so that isn't a problem.

Obviously that won't do anything since the problem with the retail CD is that it contains the Dreamcatcher intro movie in Divx format (just like the VCF says) and thats the problem. Nothing to do with AVIs. The AVI issue is that without that fix, the 3000AD intro anim (which plays after the Dreamcatcher one) won't play either; nor will the game's explosions and other animations.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

My copy (Gamestop version) never triggered an autorun first time inserting the disc. I ran d:setup.exe from start-->run. I noticed there is no autorun.inf on the disc, is there some other way to invoke autorun? I had no trouble installing the game otherwise. I just assumed BCM:G didn't use autorun.

Well thats the problem then. Installshield didn't create the autorun.inf and bcmsetup.bat files. If you own BCM, look on the CDROM and you will see these files. Which is where page 8 (section 1.1) of the manual comes in.

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure if your problem is resolved or not, but I'm willing to bet you were running Norton or an equivilant whilst installing. I had the same problem, same error messages as you did, until I consulted the manual and was made aware that you can't run background programs like that.

quote:

I had my antivirus software off each time I installed, and I closed everything that I could, but that didn't help. I also cleaned out my temp directories, but that didn't help, either.

He said he turned his anti-virus software off. Besides, there really isn't a problem here from what I've read. With all due respect, he needs to RTFM a little bit closer....