Problem with my computer

AllenKG2001

I'm having a problem with my computer running the BCMG and not sure what is causing the problem.

This is not a bug report, I'm just posting incase someone can help me sort this out.

Before I start, I should say that my system specs are different to what I have currently in my profile and unfortunatly I have lost my BCM CD key so I can't access my specs to change them. I have however my BCMG CD key. If someone can point out to me how to go about changing my specs I will do so. For now I will list them here:

Packard bell igo 6000

Video: ATI IGP340M Drivers: 6.14.10.6343

Sound: SoundMAX intergrated Drivers: Most current

Processor: Intel pentium 4 2Ghz

Memory: 256mb DDR with 64mb shared with video

OK my problem is this, when I loaded the game on to the computer for the first time, everything work OK. It was when I went back to carry on the game at a later date that strange things were happening. I have resently re-installed everything and the above repeated itself.

The problems are:

- When I set a hyperjump course to anywhere, when looking from the bridge the ship turns to point to the jump destination but instead of jumping the ship seems to be shaking around. As soon as I press F9 for external view the ship jumps as normal and I can return to internal view. This is how I have to make every jump.

- Another problem is on planets in FP mode. The Walk/Run [back Space] key does not work and also when I engage the jetpack I would just continue to fly up and there is nothing I can do to bring me back down again.

Both of these problems I have tried in different circumstances and don't seem to be related to any one thing. They happen where ever, whenever and however I am in the BCMG Galaxy and always happen. This is not a random thing, the above problems will always happen.

THings I have tried to resolve the problem:

- Turned accelerator bar down by one notch.

- Reduced as many config settings in game as possible.

- Defagged HDD.

- Ran game as only program installed on the computer.

All above done nothing. Every other program I have installed runs fine on my computer.

Please, please can someone advise as I want to get back in my commanders chair. Like I said I know this is not a bug in game.

quote:

Originally posted by LBM:

- Another problem is on planets in FP mode. The Walk/Run [back Space] key does not work and also when I engage the jetpack I would just continue to fly up and there is nothing I can do to bring me back down again.

Try reading the manual for both of these. The toggle is just that, a toggle. And when run is active, the text in the HUD will be in inverse video. For the jetpack....aw, just read the manual if you don't know how to decend manually.

And if you are using an accelerated keyboard (e.g. typmatic rate very high), reduce it. It sounds like a keyboard problem to me. Besides, you've had this game for quite a while and if this is a new computer, well then.

wrt your CDKEY, check your PM. If you have BCM and BCMG, just login to your profile and go into edit mode. Then change the product from BCM to BCMG and update the CDKEY as well.

[ 07-20-2003, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Thanks for sending me CD key.

quote:

Try reading the manual for both of these. The toggle is just that, a toggle. And when run is active, the text in the HUD will be in inverse video. For the jetpack....aw, just read the manual if you don't know how to decend manually.

This I know but because there's something wrong with me computer they don't work. I've used the jet pack many times before it just seems on this system it don't work.

I'm basically just hoping that maybe someone else has had this problem and was able to sort it. Working for myself doesn't give me much time to properly look into it. I've done as much as I can and will continue where and when possible.

Would it be to do with the fact my video card is intergrated and sharing system memory? Maybe my system is not capable for running the game?

Cheers for replying anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by LBM:

Would it be to do with the fact my video card is intergrated and sharing system memory? Maybe my system is not capable for running the game?

No. What you are describing seems to be a controller issue.

And why is your profile still not updated?

Ok I've have gone though pretty much everything I can to try and sort this and still no joy. I have done all that it says to do in the FAQ under video and controller issue's as well as general issue's.

After running the game a few times I have found that most my problems occur when viewing from an internal view. Such as:

- I have no manual control of CC from bridge viewer. Only when I press F9 for external view can I move the CC. (This is using mouse control but even when I change the settings to keyboard movement I still have no manual control from bridge view).

- The thrust will not change when in bridge view. I can click the number butons to set thrust and the arrow on the SVI will move to show the change but the speed indicator box will not change. Only when I click F9 will the CC change to the new speed setting and when I press F1 to go back to bridge view, the speed indicator box has now changed. If I wish to change speed again I have to repeat the above process.

- To enter hyperjump like I mentioned before, Once I have selected the JumpTo command from the CC comand list and choosen a jump point, I have to switch to external view before the CC makes the jump.

- I haven't resently been able to do further tests in FP mode but will do and post what problems I find there. I already told you about the jetpack problem and I can let you know if I get control from external view there.

As you can imagine the above problems make the game impossible to play effectivly. I would very much like to get the game working as should do again.

Now you said this sounds like a controller issue but what suggestions can you give me to do apart from what it says in the FAQ as I have already followed them. I don't know if this will help but because my system is a laptop with the built in touch pad I have plugged in a USB mouse. Would this cause a problem?

Please, please, please help

• 5 weeks later...

OK, I'm still experiencing the same problems as decribed above. Is there any reason to believe that the game just will not run properly on this system.

So far nothing I've done to try and solve this has worked.

Derek said this is a controller issue but everything (drivers) is up to date and the system itself is only a few months old.

Any suggestions will be appreciated as I would very much like to start playing the game again.