System Damage (for no reason)

Viper2000

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Shadow:

In my case, I have no artifacts. Kendrick keeps damaging systems without remorse. I noticed it started with the aquisition of Fleet C&C.

I tried docking with star-stations and nothing changed. The only solution that puts an end to his damaging systems for no reason is taking him off duty ... that means either sick-bay or brig. Anywhere else and he comes back on his own. As soon as his "on station" indicator comes on, the system goes down again.

Rubbish.

Kendrick does not do ANY damage to ANYTHING. The only conditions under which you will take damage are during combat, intruder damage or if you have volatile minerals (they will react and cause an explosion which can propage from the cargo bay to other areas on the ship) in your cargo bay.

And when you upgrade a system, it is downgraded prior to repairs. Thats not damaging it per se.

Guest MIKE113

The facts remain that it IS happening and there seems to be NO reason for it. I have just reinstalled and when the condition shows again I will send save to one of Prime's Beta testers for analysis.

quote:

Originally posted by MIKE113:

The facts remain that it IS happening and there seems to be NO reason for it. I have just reinstalled and when the condition shows again I will send save to one of Prime's Beta testers for analysis.

Emphatically citing a bug w/o conclusive proof ain't gonna get ya too far.

Before you go off like that try a clean game and find out every step necessary to get this to happen reliably. I personally have never seen this happen. If SC can't reproduce it and the best info you have is basically "it happens" SC really can't do much about it and he has alot of other things he could be doing instead of running in circles chasing down an ambiguous heresay bug.

quote:

Originally posted by MIKE113:

Goodbye Mike. I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO tolerance for foolishness and you should know this already.

If you had a bug to report, you should've done and using the proper channels instead of arguing with me about something that I know for a FACT is untrue.

As soon as YOU have a saved game in which this condition can be reproduced, your posting priviledges will be restored.

[ 07-14-2003, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Related observation... Intruders and marines fighting in the shuttle bay can damage SC's and OC's that are in the shuttle bay. This shows up as somewhat odd and minor damage.

Another time, Intruder set a charge in my officer's quarters, and killed my NO, sleeping in her quarters. Good thing the cloning module's working. Still, the officer's quarters was damaged. The same intruder also completely destroyed my tractor beam control unit, which required a full replacement.

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

Related observation... Intruders and marines fighting in the shuttle bay can damage SC's and OC's that are in the shuttle bay. This shows up as somewhat odd and minor damage.

Another time, Intruder set a charge in my officer's quarters, and killed my NO, sleeping in her quarters. Good thing the cloning module's working. Still, the officer's quarters was damaged. The same intruder also completely destroyed my tractor beam control unit, which required a full replacement.

Yep. Works as designed

Rubbish on your Rubbish.

Don't insult my intelligence, Mr. Smart. I have a PhD, too.

I am not debating or arguing with you about the existence, or lack thereof, of a "bug." You obviously think it is not. For all I know, there is some feature of which I am not aware, or corruption in the files.

Your comments are not only illogical and insulting, but unworthy of reputation. The only minerals on board were repair minerals and fuel supplies. I was on earth to repair my fighter craft, and so not in combat or possessive of any intruders. The damage occured twice, was repaired twice. After the third time I locked Kendrick up in the detention area and it quite. The inventory did not appreciably change, since only repair kits and fuel were consumed. Nevertheless, the damage stopped. Furthermore, if you would do your homework (see my earlier post), the damage kept occuring to the Navitron Computer, which cannot be upgraded.

This may well be related to some corruption in the game files. I have had it happen twice to as many systems on the ship. Each time locking up Kendrick, or taking him off duty, puts a stop to it, whatever the cause.

I was only making conversation about a curiosity in the game. Nothing more.

Helloooo people... has anyone here heard of system decay? I often take basic system damage that is always being repaired. But like all well used machines things break and have wear and tear. Im often cruising around at 99% system integrity due to that. Always something to fix. It only makes sense on ship the length of 2-3 city blocks.

quote:

Originally posted by Shadow:

Rubbish on your Rubbish.

Don't insult my intelligence, Mr. Smart. I have a PhD, too.

I am not debating or arguing with you about the existence, or lack thereof, of a "bug." You obviously think it is not. For all I know, there is some feature of which I am not aware, or corruption in the files.

Your comments are not only illogical and insulting, but unworthy of reputation. The only minerals on board were repair minerals and fuel supplies. I was on earth to repair my fighter craft, and so not in combat or possessive of any intruders. The damage occured twice, was repaired twice. After the third time I locked Kendrick up in the detention area and it quite. The inventory did not appreciably change, since only repair kits and fuel were consumed. Nevertheless, the damage stopped. Furthermore, if you would do your homework (see my earlier post), the damage kept occuring to the Navitron Computer, which cannot be upgraded.

This may well be related to some corruption in the game files. I have had it happen twice to as many systems on the ship. Each time locking up Kendrick, or taking him off duty, puts a stop to it, whatever the cause.

I was only making conversation about a curiosity in the game. Nothing more.

1. Never experienced this, even when game was in beta. Game works as designed.

2. Can't fix what cannot be reproduced.

3. Goodbye Shadow.

TTFN

Well that was quick. I personally (you're a trusted admin and your call is just as good as mine. so no worries there) won't have restricted Shadow's ability to post. At least not just yet. The rant just made me chuckle because it was just plain silly.

And in all this, just a few days ago I reinstated Mike's ability to post (it was a temp ban, since he didn't do anything that warranted a perma-ban) but he STILL has not opened an official bug report with proof of what he's been arguing about.

I just love it when I explain to people how I designed and developed my game and know EXACTLY what it can/cannot do - and they end up arguing and/or abusing me over it. Shadow obviously didn't even read the post I made describing under what circumstances random damage will occur. But no, lets blame Kendrick (or file corruption!!) - which is just the most ridiculous thing I've heard since 1996.

I think we need to re-state the rules at some point because even when you ask people to produced proof and evidence of a problem - they don't. But they'd rather rave and rant about it.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Well that was quick. I personally (you're a trusted admin and your call is just as good as mine. so no worries there) won't have restricted Shadow's ability to post. At least not just yet. The rant just made me chuckle because it was just plain silly.

I didn't completely ban Shadow SC, just restricted his ability to post. Give him a week or two to cool down and then maybe reinstate his posting privies

But then again, maybe I won't

TTFN

Hmmm, I've been quiet for a couple of days, trying to create the problem in a controlled enviroment.

The first time it didn't occur untill I was a couple days into the game (makes it difficult to recreate it from a clean install and a new game).

I'm working on an report for this problem but each time I type a remark to discribe something, I must ask myself several questions (before you do) and find the answers in order to clearly state the problem.

This is taking a lot of time but I'm going for quality.

You will hear from me again.

Let me repeat this again so that nothing is missed in the interpretation.

KENDRICK HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DAMAGE ON THE SHIP APART FROM HANDLING REPAIRS AND AUTO ASSIGNMENTS OF SYS ENGINEERS. AND DURING ANY/ALL SYS UPGRADES, THE PRIMARY SYSTEM WILL BE DEGRADED UNTIL THE INSTALLATION OF THE NEW ONE IS COMPLETED. ITS IN THE MANUAL.

quote:

Let me repeat this again so that nothing is missed in the interpretation.

KENDRICK HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DAMAGE ON THE SHIP APART FROM HANDLING REPAIRS AND AUTO ASSIGNMENTS OF SYS ENGINEERS. AND DURING ANY/ALL SYS UPGRADES, THE PRIMARY SYSTEM WILL BE DEGRADED UNTIL THE INSTALLATION OF THE NEW ONE IS COMPLETED. ITS IN THE MANUAL.

I've never had this problem but, in case I ever do, one clarification, please:

If an upgrade gets stuck at 99%, is the installation considered "completed" ... or will the primary system still be degraded?

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

If an upgrade gets stuck at 99%, is the installation considered "completed" ... or will the primary system still be degraded?

An upgrade never gets stuck. If it doesn't go to 100% then that means the value is too small to increment i.e. 99.5 won't be displayed as 100%. Basically if the system is Green its operational and the number is meaningless because 80% operational is just the same as 90%, 99% or 100%. Thats why I use ranges for the three different states (operational, slightly damaged, badly damaged, destroyed).

There was a problem where it took too long to go to 100 from a fractional value and it was fixed in a previous patch. Check the VCF for it.

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

I guess some people are just compulsive about getting the last decimal space done...

LOL!!! tell me about it

I moved the thread here just because, so far, two people have gotten themselves banned (though I already re-instated Mike113) over it. I figured we'd have more people to ban if they keep posting rubbish rather than the actual problem, if in fact there is one. And I don't even think there is. And even IF there is, I know for sure that Kendrick has nothing to do with it. If this was Resnig we were talking about, I'd be more cautious to stick up for him.

I had some SC's and OC's with like 98% or 99% systems. I assign engineers to fix those, and after a minute the work becomes suspended.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. As it does not affect operations, LEAVE IT ALONE, the SC decrees...

quote:

There was a problem where it took too long to go to 100 from a fractional value and it was fixed in a previous patch. Check the VCF for it.

Did that when I downloaded the patch ... and noticed that the following phrase was not included:

"This version is compatible with saved games from the previous version."

If, after installing the latest patch, someone restores a previously saved game where systems were at a fractional value, could that cause a problem?

quote:

If, after installing the latest patch, someone restores a previously saved game where systems were at a fractional value, could that cause a problem?

What kind of problem?

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

Are you all seriously still trying to find a reason for the problem that the SC has told you all numerous times doesn't exist?

Yep!

Sometimes it's more fun to study a problem than to fix it.

quote:

quote:

What kind of problem?

I guess that would depend on how you corrected the routine for repairing degraded systems. Or if the correction was only to how system status is displayed.

When you reminded me about the VCF, I remembered that the latest patch didn't contain the "saved games" statement. I just wondered why that was.