Misc Issues

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I have two problems with BCM on my other computer. My system specs are with the registraton, with one change (sorry, I messed up): the video card is a GeForce 2 AGP, and has 32MB.

First, the fonts game-wide are messed up. The demos don't look like this, nor should the full game, as I've seen it shown properly on my other computer. I have a screenshot of the phenomenon; I'll email it to you if you wish. I just downloaded the lastest drivers, but they haven't helped. As for patching, I installed the game, then applied the full 1.0.01 patch, then the updated nav data file, in that order. I haven't tried reinstalling the game yet, but I don't think that will work.

The other issue isn't video-related, so I won't post it here.

EDIT: I reinstalled it, and it's working perfectly. Go figure. Sorry for any confusion.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Urza ]

I don't know if this is related to my v-card. When in space, looking from my bridgeviewer, I keep seeing explosions, like someone is shooting flack or fireworks. It happens every two to three seconds. Does anyone know if this is some part of the game I am missing or is it a video glitch?

That is covered in another thread. I think it's "miscelaneous issues II" and also "persistent tranporter/damage FX" in "general" thread "under tech support"

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Soback ]

I thought it was posted before, but I could not find the thread under "miscelaneous issues II" in "general" thread "under tech support". It is a dificult issue to use the search engine for there is no clear one word description of the phenomena.

Edited Nov. 27

Sorry, I just found the thread dealing with the fireworks. It is under under "miscelaneous issues II" in "general" thread "under tech support".

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: DeBoNed ]

This was addressed under the "PlayCutscene Error" topic, but it didn't resolve my problem. So to restate it... When I first start BCM I get the error:

Failed(0x80004002) to set message drain for D:3000ADBattlecruiser Millenniumgfx3klogo.avi.

This sample is designed to play videos, but the file selected has no video component.

I have:

-Windows 98

-DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0881).

-Windows Media Player 7.01.00.3055 (I updated using the builtin method).

-ATI Radeon DDR 64MB

-Athlon 1.1Ghz

-384MB RAM

I've tried re-installing and have applied the patch. I can play the video in question fine directly from windows media player. The game runs fine otherwise.

first thigs first, i'm a newbie

I really want to love this game. I was sceptical at first but I've been reading a lot of posts and learning more about how to play. The more I play, the more I get into it, and the more i like the game. No matter how you look at it, whether you like the game or not, you have to admit its one of the most impressive pieces of sotware yet.

Anyway, my problem:

I don't see any of the AVIs in the game (explosions and wormholes and such). I've read posts where people have the same problem but i installed Media Player 7.1 and it still doesn't work. I've also tried all manner of settings in the system wendow. I do, however, see the 3000AD avi when you launch the game. I would really appriecite any help. I'm sorry if this problem has been solved in another post, but i couldn't find anything other then installing the newest media player. Like I said, I tried that but it didn't help.

Windows ME

1.4g Athlon

Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400 64m ram

256m DDR RAM

quote:

Originally posted by JelloKing:

i do se some FX, but i think only the bitmaps and particles.

Yes I do have dx8.1

I'm using the latest drivers you can download from Nvidia's website; version 4.13.01.2183 i think

I don't think anyone from 3000ad can recommend them since they're not official, but try downloading the "leaked" beta Detonator XP drivers (2180). You can find them here:

[*]http://gamershq.madonion.com/news/?newsart...0111/2001110600

(Scroll down to the bottom of that page)

I can't say for sure that's your problem or whether it'll even help, but I've heard a lot of people (on this forum and on others) say that it seriously boosts performance and I can say for sure that it did on my system. Plus, it just might resolve some sort of hardware/driver issue you're having. It's worth a shot, but keep your old drivers handy just in case.

If you can't play AVI's (which is what the explosions, flux fields etc are), then your system does NOT have the correct Microsoft Codecs which are installed by Media Player 7 or higher.

In fact, go into the GFXAVI folder and try to play the files in there using MP. If you can't, then thats the problem.

You may have a lot of crap installed on your machine, including rogue codecs. Can't help you there am afraid.

nope, the beta drivers didn't fix the problem

When I go to directory the AVIs are in and double click on a file it loads Media Player and plays the AVI fine. Running them this way is how I knew I was missing something to begin with.

If it is a problem with the codecs, is there a way I can reinstall the right ones?

I am unable to use any Antialiasing method with my GF3 in BCM. DX8.1 and 21.83 NED's.

If any are on, the main menu of BCM has a black, flickering bar on the right.

But If I turn them off, BCM will not crash [note, if you saw my other post in General issues, the 20min crash period still occurs].

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Nothing to do with BCM. Install Media Player 7.1 or higher.

I just installed 7.1 downloaded from microsoft's site (it was the highest available version I found). Checking add/remove it says I have windows media player 7.1. Running it and checking its 'about' help item shows the same version I mentioned above. Strange...

I still get the same error. Can I provide any other information that would be of help?

Forgot to mention... I uninstalled and reinstalled windows media player, installing everything except the skins, help and adaptec cd burning extension. Including all the codecs.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: dmitri ]

Here's a misc. issue. For some reason, the game runs REALLY slow on my machine, I can't figure out why. It's almost unplayable. Here are my system specs...

Intel 766 Celeron(there's one possible cause..)

172 Mbytes of PC133 RAM

Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64/64 pro. I'm not sure how much onboard ram it has.

Windows 98 SE

Ironicly, on another computer I use(which I had uninstalled BCM from before to try it on this one), BCM ran at ludicrous speed, much faster than it is on this one. And that system was slower in comparison...

Intel 566 Celeron

Intel Integrated video

98 Mbytes of RAM

Windows ME

Maybe Nvidia is a bad card for BCM? I'm thinking about buying a Voodoo 3.

EDIT: Ok, I got the RAM wrong. Sosumi

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: R_wilco ]

Hey RWilco, DON'T DO IT!!!! (sry 'bout shouting).

I almost got a heart attack when I read that you even consider buying V3.

You're joking, right .....right??????

You got me there

GeForce 2 (or even better 3) cards are something worth looking.

You wouldn't believe how often I hear that...

Anyway, one of my friends claimed that BCM ran great with a V3 card. I have no idea why.

EDIT: No, I REALLY wish I was joking, but it DOES run faster on the slower computer. There are not many programs running in the background(that I know of), but I'll try closing 'em.

I upgraded my system over the weekend, so the specs in my registration are no longer correct. I got a shiny new GeForce 3 Ti 500 and while using both the 2183 and the beta 2280 drivers I occasionally get a problem where I'll exit from the tactical or logistics menu and the screen doesn't change.

The game does continue to run. It just doesn't update the display and I'm stuck staring at the logistics screen. I hear the normal bridgeview background chatter, and I can hear the responses to normal actions (firing lasers, key commands, etc.. )

It's not too much of a problem as I can just hit "alt+q" and "y" and then resume the game. Just wondering if anybody else has had this happen and if they found a solution.

Specs:

P4 1.4 Ghz

128 MB RDRAM

GeForce 3 Ti 500 - 1152x864 32 bit (and getting 60+ fps with 4x FSAA - I'm actually sexually aroused by that )

Advance AC'97 Audio (gotta use the POS onboard sound until next paycheck)

Win98 SE

------

Switching to 2x antialiasing seems to have fixed it. Don't waste any time on this

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Schmendrick ]

Hey all,

I think I know the answer to this one but in case it is of some use to the tech dept I will post it anyway.

In new and still working things out in training mode. In all the scenarios the game runs fine however, when I attempt to do some FPMarine action, on lnad only not in space which works fine, the planet terrain either looks covered in white with dull grey shadows in the background almost like a blinding snowstorm or on the other training planet (farstar) every thing is blazed bright red with dull grey shadows in the background like some kind of solar flareup. The veiw on my CVD is fine and shows the buildings fine and the vehicle graphics all seem to be fine but in the FP eye view mode I get no terrain. This is all I can get.

Now I believe I have found the problem but I could be wrong apparently the video card on the laptop I am using only has 8 meg ram not 16 as I thought.

Is this why im not geting any terrain/sky in FP Mode.

Running at 1024 x 768 at 16 bit.

Its not the end of the world I can still just avoid FP Mode until I get my new system after Xmas. Just though it may be helpful to others.

Specs:

P III 750

128 Meg Ram

S3 Savage MX Video Card 8 meg.

Yamaha DS-1 Cound Card (works fine)

Guest Chiablo

Sorry to break the pattern here, but I have a problem that is hounding my.

in the game, all of the fonts are messed up. the left most side of all of them is missing. d's look like backward c's, l's don't exist, etc.

I was able to sort of fix the ones on the main menu by editing the bcmconfig file and changing the font there, but it didn't fix the fonts within the game. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, applying the patch, manually deleting the font that the game installs, and manually reinstalling the font the game installs.

I have downloaded the newest drivers for my video card and I have the newest detonator drivers as well (I even tried the leaked beta detonator drivers to no avail.) I know others have had this problem (in fact one of the first posts here talked about it, but reinstalling fixed his.)

here are my specs:

AMD 750 thunderbird

20 gig Western Digital HDD

GeForce2 MX 400

SBLive X-gamer edition

40x CD-rom drive

384 MB of RAM

DirectX 8.0a

Dr. Pepper

Please respond with any suggestions or ideas.

quote:

Originally posted by Oban:

Hey all,

I think I know the answer to this one but in case it is of some use to the tech dept I will post it anyway.

In new and still working things out in training mode. In all the scenarios the game runs fine however, when I attempt to do some FPMarine action, on lnad only not in space which works fine, the planet terrain either looks covered in white with dull grey shadows in the background almost like a blinding snowstorm or on the other training planet (farstar) every thing is blazed bright red with dull grey shadows in the background like some kind of solar flareup. The veiw on my CVD is fine and shows the buildings fine and the vehicle graphics all seem to be fine but in the FP eye view mode I get no terrain. This is all I can get.

Now I believe I have found the problem but I could be wrong apparently the video card on the laptop I am using only has 8 meg ram not 16 as I thought.

Is this why im not geting any terrain/sky in FP Mode.

Running at 1024 x 768 at 16 bit.

Its not the end of the world I can still just avoid FP Mode until I get my new system after Xmas. Just though it may be helpful to others.

Specs:

P III 750

128 Meg Ram

S3 Savage MX Video Card 8 meg.

Yamaha DS-1 Cound Card (works fine)

You have an S3 chipset video card. I had Diamond Viper II z200 which is also based on S3 chipset. Your problem is not only the momory, but the drivers. That's how the demos looked on my Diamond card, but a little bit better than you describe, the drivers didn't support DX 8.0 properly.

Chiablo, tell us exactly what drivers version you have (we can't guess what the newest version means to you), but first, go download DX 8.1 and windows media player 7.1, install and try the game, then come back and post your driver version if you will still have the problem.