Misc Issues

Supreme Cmdr

I'm actually playing with an MK3 Military Cast. The PAD works pretty fine as I already destroyed a starstation with it. I can see the damage effects (sort of blue burning), when the PAD hits its target (Foreward view), but actually not the ray itself.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I've been working on this problem for a while with little success. Looked through all the support forums and used many of the recommendations there, but it hasn't gotten me further, so I'm posting a message. Here's how it is:

My system specs are as stated, except I believe I accidentally put PCI instead of AGP for the vid card, and I've updated all the drivers to the latest.

In any 3D game, and especially in BCM (it happens faster), I'll be happily playing, enjoying the GREAT game... and the system will completely freeze -- no mouse motion, and a single steady, high-pitched tone is coming out of the speakers. Now, honestly... I don't know whether to think it's a video card problem or a sound card problem.

I have latest DirectX, nVidia 21.83 drivers, and latest AGP port drivers from ECS (makers of my motherboard).

There is no specific time that the freeze occurs that I've been able to notice, and I've not been able to figure if there is a certain amount of time between starting to play and freezing. If that's important, I'll try to figure it out (although that would require quite a bit of restarting).

I LOVE the game... been a fan for years... REALLY want to play this one with stability.

Thanks

machitis

quote:

Originally posted by machitis:

My system specs are as stated, except I believe I accidentally put PCI instead of AGP for the vid card, and I've updated all the drivers to the latest.

Your specs are stated where? I don't see a link to your profile in your sig.

Anyway, you might want to clean your system (you know, format, re-install OS etc) and go from there. From what you describe, there could be a renegade driver lurking in there somewhere.

btw, 2183 are very old nVidia drivers.

I think I have a problem similar to Securis's.

From the bridge view of whatever craft I'm piloting, (CC/OC/SC/FC) I have the strange flickering of my MTAR/MTD and TIR (TIR appears to be running through the name of every missile I have on board). Also I have the Large Red Ring (MTAR)in the middle of the display also. All of these things are happening at the same time.

I cant seem to find this in any other forum, nor does it appear in the FAQ's.

I figure it to be a driver problem so I've changed Drivers..tried 21.83, 22.80, and 23.11 but the problem persists.

I believe it may be related to WIN XP as the problem did not begin until I upgraded from ME (or could it be mem related as I added another 256Mb).

Anyways, I've tried all that I could think of to no avail so thought I'd ask for help here. Any suggestions.

BTW my Sys has changed: Win XP, 512Mb, all other items remain the same.

Thanks in Advance!!

Hehe Hehe..I figured it out. It was the X36 Joystick. Button #9 was sending a constant signal to the game causing it to continuousl cycle weapons.

Yup not a BCM Problem, but it was rather anoying. Was causing Kara to constantly say "Targe is emitting an IFF signal" over and over and over (at least 100 times). Was ready to push her outta the airlock I tell ya.

quote:

Originally posted by Skeletun:

Hehe Hehe..I figured it out. It was the X36 Joystick. Button #9 was sending a constant signal to the game causing it to continuousl cycle weapons.

Well thats certainly interesting. BCM does not map more than a couple of joystick buttons, so did you at any time do button mappings on that stick?

So how did you resolve it?

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

The M1 M2 & M3 switch on the X36 equates to buttons 9, 10 & 11 respectively. When it was on M1 (button 9) it was like holding down the button sending a constant signal. All I did was move the switch to M10/M11 which isnt mapped to BCM.

Have to admit I felt pretty stupid once I figured it out. Specially considering how many times I reloaded those Detonator Drivers

Oh yeah, and I never did Map any buttons on the Stick.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Skeletun ]

All the buttons and switches on the Saiteks X36 corresponds with a particular Joystick button in windows (buttons 1-26 for the Saitek X36). In particular as a default the M1, M2 & M3 Switch (a 3 position slider) corresponds to Buttons 9-11 on the Joystick (M1=9, M2=10 & M3=11).

If memory serves, BCM maps Joystick buttons 1-9, with 9 being the button to cycle weapons. If the switch is set to the M1 Position it would be as if the 9 button is being held continuously.

This would explain why it was cycling through all available weapons on whatever I was Piloting (CC,SC & OC).

Lets try this again...

BCM doesn't map any extended joystick buttons, apart from those listed on the keyboard. So, M1, M2, M3 being mapped have nothing to do with BCM.

Anyway, I'm going to add this to the FAQ

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Lets try this again...

BCM doesn't map any extended joystick buttons, apart from those listed on the keyboard. So, M1, M2, M3 being mapped have nothing to do with BCM.

[n00b translator engaged]

I think he's saying M1 = Button 9 = Missile Cycle and according to the quick ref button 9 does indeed cycle missles.

By moving the slider to M2 (button 10) or M3 (button 11) he's moved it to a button that BCM does not recognize and therefore fixed the problem. Sounds like a design flaw with the stick to me, why would any stick designed replace buttons (1 push = 1 signal) with a slider (position = constant signal)?

[n00b translator disengaged]

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

Anyone experiencing extreme tearing in large models (like stations), with an nVidia card?

Yeah, you aren't alone. I had this problem since I upgraded to my Geforce2 MX400 64MB card just a few days ago. I overclocked it, too. But anyways, I tried stopping overclocking, changing settings, bit depth, resolutions, and such. Did everything in the FAQ, but no avail. Did some more tweaking of settings, and well, here's the solution:

Head to Display Properties->Advanced->Geforce2 MX/MX400(*)->Additional Properties->Direct3D Settings. Change Mipmap detail level to Best image quality. And you're set.

(*)-That's what mine said. Look for the name of your chipset if yours is different.

This is with the 23.11 XP drivers, and your mileage may vary. This is a little tip I discovered, and I noticed that it wasn't in the Troubleshooting FAQ, so I decided to post this here.

And now I'll hop back into the game.

Nova, over and out.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Orignally posted by Tyrn

[n00b translator engaged]

I think he's saying M1 = Button 9 = Missile Cycle and according to the quick ref button 9 does indeed cycle missles.

By moving the slider to M2 (button 10) or M3 (button 11) he's moved it to a button that BCM does not recognize and therefore fixed the problem. Sounds like a design flaw with the stick to me, why would any stick designed replace buttons (1 push = 1 signal) with a slider (position = constant signal)?

[n00b translator disengaged]

Yeah What he said!!

Thanks Tyrn

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

Head to Display Properties->Advanced->Geforce2 MX/MX400(*)->Additional Properties->Direct3D Settings. Change Mipmap detail level to Best image quality. And you're set.

Thanks for that particularly useless bit of information.

Best Image Quality is the DEFAULT setting for those drivers. So, the only way it could have changed, is if you were previously screwing around with it (like overclocking your board for e.g.)

Its not going in the FAQ because only a complete and utter fool (you know, like those other idiots who overclock their systems, vid cards etc and cry out about artifacts, stability issues etc) would go messing with manufacturers display driver settings unless they know the ramifications therein.

Its me again, the guy with the bizzare no hyperspace problem.

Whenever ships try to jump, they just sort of pause and hang in space, as if the jump engines stalled. They're semi transparent (looks like a bad graphical error) but it seems that the hyperspace processes just sort of stopped halfway through. If I save and reload the game, hyperspacing works just fine for those ships currently stuck. It seems in order to have anything more through hyperspace, the game needs to be saved and reloaded.

I have a Geforce2 MX400 with drivers 23.11, and all of my settings are at system defaults, or at least all of the settings I could verify.

I'm guessing this is a video card issue, and I'm thinking it may be a defective card somehow, as when playing any first person shooter in multiplayer, I get a horribly frame per second drain after just a few minutes of gameplay. Strangely, this only happens in multiplayer.

WinME is fully patched, I've got DirectX 8.1, Media Player 7.1, and I dont see any obvious conflicts.

Any ideas where I might be able to possibly look for a solution aside from pulling out my warranty and getting the card replaced? This weird bug has been plauging almost every game I own, but BCM is the hardest hit.

I dont mean to bug you Supreme Cmdr, but I just want to do a little fishing to see if anyone knows how I might go about seeing what the problem is, as this group seems to be very knowledgeable indeed about the obscure details for various systems.

Oh, I did find a lose jumper at the bottom of my comp box, and it would fit perfectly with the video card jumper prongs, which have no jumpers on them at all. Could that possibly be affecting things? Or am I looking at the wrong area? Could it be another piece of hardware/software thats screwed up?

quote:

Originally posted by Fox:

I'm guessing this is a video card issue,

It is. Get different drivers

quote:

and I'm thinking it may be a defective card somehow, as when playing any first person shooter in multiplayer, I get a horribly frame per second drain after just a few minutes of gameplay. Strangely, this only happens in multiplayer.

oh?

Does it happen before you join the multiplayer server or when everyone else is on the server?

Also, what is the IP of the server you are trying to connect to? Does the server support 16 or 64 players?

Let me know when you know

Well, I've got the most up to date drivers, v23.11 Detonator XP for my GeForce2 MX400 with a WinME OS.

Should I get a lower version of the thing? Again, I love the game, but could only play it briefly on a friend's system. But that was long enough to get me addicted...I haven't had my BCM fix for 3 days now!

As for the weird framerate loss, it happens whenever I play anything multiplayer. Unreal Tournament, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and even Stronghold, which is a top down strategy game, though I've been told that Gamespy is really buggy and the other guy was suffering the same bug.

Well, according to NVidia.com, I do have the correct and most up to date drivers.

Here at [ http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows9x ] is where I got the thing, and here [ http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=products_supported_win ] is where it lists my video card model as supported.

If the drivers aren't officially released, why are they on the website? Again, I'm sorry to be pestering you, but this bug is the damnedest thing as it seems to be affecting everything.

The solution is probably something exceedingly simple, but something that I keep missing. I did, however, find a lose jumper at the bottom of my computer case, and it could fit onto my video card, though it seems the problems started after I had to do a complete reformat and install of everything after windoze somehow corrupted itself. WinME installed just fine, and then I installed the sound and video drivers, and then everything seemed to work nicely. Thats about all I did in terms of drivers. What am I missing? I know I missed SOMETHING, I'm just pulling my hair out trying to figure out what it is!

(And it'll be the simplest, most idiotic thing, too!)

I'm just totally and utterly lost and need help.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Fox ]

So they went ahead and made the 2311 drivers official huh?

Typical. They're as buggy as hell. But don't let me stop you from using them.

I just checked that URL. Those drivers are reference drivers and are UNSUPPORTED. I take it you missed that little titbit, huh?

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]