Emulation software, debugger error, cannot locate CD-ROM

If you get a similar message when trying to run the game, read ALL the posts these two threads.

thread1

thread2

If you still have the problem - and you have checked EVERYTHING, do the following...

For Win NT/2K/XP

Start-->Program-->Run-->winmsd.

This will display your system configuration details with hardware and software information on the screen. Select Save as "nfo" file from the top menu.

For Win W95/98/ME

Start-->Program-->Run-->msinfo32.

This will display your system configuration details with hardware and software information on the screen. Select Save as "nfo" file from the top menu.

When done, send the NFO file to [email protected] and wait for a response.

[ 02-06-2005, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Based on an NFO file sent in by someone earlier, here is the response from Macrovision.

Derek,

Can you please confirm if the user is getting "Debuggers message" or "Emulation detection message".

I found ELBYVCD.SYS driver loaded on user’s system which is basically a Clone CD driver. This

should give emulation detection error instead of debugger detection error. Can we get the snapshot

of the error?

Attached is the snapshot of the clone CD finding.

By the way I can see a number of SafeDisc protected program installed in user’s system and I am

assuming all running fine. They might have used a little older version of SafeDisc.

Some suggestion I found on the net on how to remove Clone CD.

(1) Uninstall the VCD. Uninstall CloneCD if you have to; before doing that, make sure you have

your CloneCD serial handy.

(2) Search the registry(Start>run>search files)) for ELBYVCD.DLL and ELBYVCD.SYS files and delete them.

Try the game again after removing ELBYVCD

Clone CD is from Elaborate Byte and I think Daemon tools is the older name.

If you look in the NFO file you sent, that driver that Macrovision is talking about is in C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32DRIVERS folder

Basically, this person has remnants of an older version of CloneCD, which was previously not uninstalled properly. If you remove this remnant (follow the instructions above), then re-install CloneCD/Daemon tools and then *disable* them properly before running the game, everything should be fine.

Update from Macrovision, edited and formatted for the general public.

quote:

What we found that this debugger’s message is NOT coming from SafeDisc itself. This debugger message shows a Red Cross mark with the message
Unload the Debugger and Try again

Here may be the cause of the debugger error which you have reported: Our engineers found this on a web site for a

product called Blaze Media Pro. If you search for the exact error message you will also get a few other hits e.g.

CDFreaks, where people have reported the problem on their machines. According to the text below, the message is

caused by DivX. One of the hits found was on a OpenGL website.

It is probably the case that the DivX code thinks that WE (SafeDisc protected program) are the debugger :-)

Although the text below mentions reverting to an earlier version of DivX, I think there may be a more recent

version which fixes the problem.

"I am attempting to convert video files, but the following message is shown:

Debugger detected - please close it down and restart. Windows NT users: Please note that having

the WinIce/SoftIce service installed means that you are running a debugger.

I do not believe I am running a debugger. What could be the problem?"

This error is caused by DivX 5.1. The issue you have mentioned is a bug in this release of the DivX codec. The

codec is actually what`s showing the error, and shutting down Blaze Media Pro because it is erroneously detecting

the software as a debugger. You can uninstall DivX 5.1 and revert to DivX 5.05, and you will no longer have this

problem

The fix appears to be to try and update (or downgrade) the DivX drivers. From the information we found , it won't

just be SafeDisc products which have this problem.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I believe I have checked everything in these posts - do you see something I missed?

- Here's the error message:

Protection Error

Debugger detected - please close it down and restart. Windows NT users: Please note that having the WinIce/SoftIce service installed means that you are running a debugger.

- I just bought and installed the game. I don't believe I have DivX installed (I searched for it, just in case, and returned no results)

Appreciate the help...

Here's the report from Process Explorer:

Process PID CPU Description Company Name

System Idle Process 0 100

Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts

DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls

System 4

SMSS.EXE 668 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation

CSRSS.EXE 752 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation

WINLOGON.EXE 784 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation

SERVICES.EXE 828 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation

ATI2EVXX.EXE 996

SVCHOST.EXE 1008 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

SVCHOST.EXE 1072 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

SVCHOST.EXE 1212 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

wscntfy.exe 3796 Windows Security Center Notification App Microsoft Corporation

SVCHOST.EXE 1264 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

SVCHOST.EXE 1388 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

SPOOLSV.EXE 1880 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation

MsPMSPSv.exe 1284 WMDM PMSP Service Microsoft Corporation

ALG.EXE 948 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation

LSASS.EXE 840 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation

ATI2EVXX.EXE 1776

EXPLORER.EXE 1824 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

WinComm.exe 2000

WinLock.exe 2040

CTDetect.exe 2020 Creative MediaSource Detector Creative Technology Ltd

Netscp.exe 2116 Netscape Mozilla, Netscape

iexplore.exe 212 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation

NOTEPAD.EXE 2360 Notepad Microsoft Corporation

procexp.exe 3088 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals

Process: System Idle Process Pid: 0

Type Name

Process explorer will not show codecs. You have to go to your multimedia settings in control panel for that. >> I looked, and didn't have divX codec. but, just for kicks, I downloaded version 5.2.1 - now I get as far as the dreamcatcher vidio clip before I get the message.

btw, what version of Nero are you using? Have you updated to the latest version? >> I believe I've got the latest update - 6.6.01 or something like that.

quote:

If you get as far as the DC clip, READ the FAQ.

1. I read the Troubleshooting FAQ. Maybe I am not recognizing the information that I need. The FAQ states that I have to have at least DirectX version 8.1 and Media Player version 7.1. I have DX version 9 and MP version 10.

3. I also downloaded the DirectX control panel applet and set all the debug sliders to 'less'.

2. the Macrovision post suggested that an upgrade from DivX 5.1 should solve the problem. I never had 5.1. Installing 5.2 gets me as far as seeing the DC clip. I was not seeing the DC clip 'till after I installed DivX 5.2

3. Regarding Nero: I just downloaded v. 3.0.1.14, which has a release date of December 3rd, 2004

• 1 month later...