game crashes

alvarete

Guest Arthur_Dent1976

Yes, very probably, although I'm the first to admit I'm not really an expert myself. I'd try the game on someone else's WinXP machine and see if it works there. Should you want to upgrade your memory, be sure to check your motherboard to see how many chips are currently in use (e.g. Does your current machine use two 128MB chips or one 256MB?, do you have room for another chip? and what type is it, EDO or DDR?). In addition to extra memory, you could probably pick up an old Geforce 2 or 3 videocard for a very low price as well.

Note that it might be worthwile to await some more advise before actually spending cash on new hardware. If I interpreted your system specs and the game's requirements correct, you *should* be able to run the game on your current machine.

I think that when i select a space jump the game needs more memory that when I select another craft. Is this possible? Look, i┬┤ve tried another thing. You know that when you make click at any of the three box down this dissapear. What i have done is make the click on the CVD and i can select any space jump point, and i make another thing: I select a space jump without CVD, then select an starbase and conect the CVD, then select an spacejump point once again, till here everithing perefect, but when i dsplay it in the CVD the game crash again.

This happends when i select it the second time and i display it.

Guest Arthur_Dent1976

So the crashes are related solely to the usage of the CVD. Do they happen when you select the VID mode of the VDD? (the visual data display that is located on the bottom right of the screen?) If so we're talking about a very specific point at wich the game crashes, something the BC-veterans might be able to recognize. (But perhaps not: I did some searches on the forum but came up with nothing.)

I have been playing without CVD and 10 minutes later or sometging like that the game crash too, so the problem is onother thing.

Perhaps this can help, if I play the game without the parameter -n just before the first animation appears an error message, the one the FAQ talk about, that it must be an .avi but the program haven┬┤t found it.

That specific *.avi runs under DivX. To test, open:

C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium Goldgfxavi

... assuming you installed the game to its default location ... if you didn't, you should (considering all the problems you're having).

Click on any file except dclogo ... your player should launch and play the video. Then click on dclogo and, if you get anything at all, it should be the audio only. If such is the case, you need DivX drivers ... which is why you bypass that video.

But not having the driver shouldn't cause the problems you're having with the game. Besides, WinXP usually has the DivX drivers included. If you can't play the dclogo video, you're copy of WinXP might be borked ... or at least some files, drivers, codex, or whatever.

Yeah, now that I think of it, DivX drivers should be included. Go find a different DivX video and test it. If you can't play it, think about reinstalling WinXP.

Guest Arthur_Dent1976

The K-Lite codec pack has always been rather good. The full version installs most of the video codecs required by modern applications, including DivX. It seems you have to register to download the pack nowadays though... can't remember doing that myself.

I think we got it, I can┬┤t reproduce the next files:

blackhole

dclogo

fluxfield

jumpgate

wormhole

xpl01

xpl01a

xpl01b

xpl01c

xpl01d

xpl09

xpl09a

But I don┬┤t understad why, I have a divX player on my pc. But I don┬┤t have any divX movie or video to test it, Anyway I┬┤m going to download the K-lite codec, of coures you must register, but I have to than the lord for create the e-mule.

I thing we are near!!!!!!!!!!!!!!