First Impressions

Supreme Cmdr

*moved

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

OK got the game, First thing I tried was the FPS aspect of the game and at first, I thought, "this is the same as UCAWA, response times seemed the same, graphics all look about the same, except some of the building models are different. But then I remembered that I've been running UCAWA in Win95 Compatibility Mode, so I set UC Gold to run the same way. Wow, Zero sluggishness on the controls, this is the best that I've seen the FPS part of the game work. Next I did a Naval Support Job, Again, Flying with a Joystick feels like I'm there. After this did one of the Commander Scenarios, went up agaist about 15 Ships, didn't last long, but the Explosions were great, and the game ran absolutely smooth as silk.

My rig runs UCAWA OK, but when I'm down on the planet the FPS part of it still feels a bit sluggish, even with Win95 Compatibility Mode set. However, with UC Gold, It's got all the great new models of UCAWA, but nice "Twitch" response times.

All in all it's some excellent work.

I'm curious, I was playing in Roam mode as a Marine, started off on the planet with several squad mates assigned to me. I noticed how I can tab through them and issue orders, pretty cool, love that. Problem is, if I take command of a shuttle, vehicle or Gun ship, anything I've tried actually, I end up losing control of my squad mates. Basically tells me that I can't issue orders to them (they go from Bright Green to Dull Green). Is this how it's supposed to work or is this a glitch. Tested it out on UCAWA and it works the same way there.

I noticed when I was playing last night that there was an ejected Pod, Not a Cargo Pod, it looked like part of a fighter, but I couldn't tractor it with my shuttle. What can we do with these?

Also, I can see what you mean about dragging down the system when 2 cities start duking it out. I landed my FireStorm just west of a city that had an insurgent base west of it, and I guess I touched off the Insurgents Radar, and they started firing at me. That caused the Galcom city that I was near, to launch fighters and start lobbing Missiles at them, man o man that was spectacular, but It REALLY taxed my poor 2Ghz system. In a couple of weeks, I'm getting a replacement MB for my system with an AMD64 3700+, and I'll probably get another gig of RAM, so hopefully that rig will be able to handle this scenario smoothly.

Here's another First Impression. The Water is DEEP!!! I was tractoring a Tank to an enemy base with the shuttle, when I tried to make some maneuvers to get away from an incoming missile. At any rate Ended up in the water. Switched to Tacops, saw that the Tank was under water, and figured let me see if I can just get it and drive it the rest of the way.

Went Down

Down,

Down

Down

Hmm 2200 Ft Under water, let me check Tacops...

STILL only half way there!!!

When you say this thing is scaled to size, it's REALLY scaled to size! Hopefully next edition, Usable Subs, and Underwater Bases!

quote:

Umm.. you still have this area set for only authorized Users to post new topics.

Wrong again. This is a first impressions thread.

quote:

Hopefully next edition, Usable Subs, and Underwater Bases!

That was the plan but I never did get around to finishing up their dynamics model. Oh well; can't have everything.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Umm.. you still have this area set for only authorized Users to post new topics.

Wrong again. This is a first impressions thread.

I'm not talking about this thread, I'm talking about the level above this. It says only Authorized users are allowed to start a new thread. In other words, if I go to;

"Battlecruiser Online>>Game Discussions>>Universal Combat Gold"

And try to start a new topic, it won't let me. Starting a new topic is locked to "Authorized Users" instead of "Registered Users"