Bored in Space

mevose

OK, once again I've searched and searched, probably not using the right words, or something, so another question.

I came to a point where I was congratulated for finishing my first tour. Is that it? I haven't even been in space for three days, yet!! CTRL + ALT + C doesn't do anything. So now I've been zooming around the galaxy trading stuff around. I've got a full tank of gas, I'm loaded for bear, and I'm getting a bit bored with just flying around aimlessly. There don't even seem to be any bad guys around to blow up. I've even gone so far as to save my game and then fly into a black hole, just to see something happen!

So, is that it? Have I reached the end? If not, what do I need to do to continue?

Thanks in advance,

--M

Well, if u'r wanting any BC game to lead u around by the nose, and give you "objectives" that u either "pass" or "fail", then u'll be waiting a very long time...cause it ain't likely to happen.

Outside the ACM missions, BC is a massive sandbox. Dereks gives u the sand, the box, and all the little toys therein, it's up to u whether it's "fun" or "boring".

It's all about extent of imagination. If u have a large enough imagination, BC kicks major ass. If u'r brain-dead and need to be led by the nose, BC will bore u to tears.

Really, all u need to do is wait. Before u know it, BC will rise up and turn u'r maxed out, fully upgraded CC into floating slag and frozen body parts.

Food for thought.

'Cause I had nothing better to do, I tried some mining. Can be quite profitable.

I'm one of those that believes a "campaign" is going to have certain objectives, and when they've been achieved, or not achieved, then it's either game over or move onto another phase. First game I've ever encountered that just leaves you hanging. And zooming around blowing stuff up just because you can gets old after a while. I've got plenty of imagination, but no matter how much imagination one might have, it doesn't get a whole lot of exercise if the only objective is to zoom around the galaxy blowing things up.

Floating slag? Throughout all of the missions I've been on, I've never gotten more than minor damage to my CC, and I've only had to replace two fighters. I do know a little about strategy and tactics.

But back to the original question. Is then end of the "first tour" the end, or am I waiting for something else to happen?

Planetary ops? You mean like drop a bunch of marines on the ground and tell 'em to go shoot something up? Seems as though an objective of some kind would help.

I'll probably zoom around blowing stuff up for another day or so, and if something interesting doesn't happen, I'll retire BC and go onto something else.

A simple objective: pick any MP_zone, and try to sweep it clean from any hostiles.

Then when (if) it's done, try another.

Till you the whole planet is clear from foes...

Then do it again, since they've already rebuild over the time.

MattV - I know the "openendedness" of BC can be a bit overwhelming and at times very boring. And I disagree completely with the comment "If u'r brain-dead and need to be led by the nose,...". Some people prefer a more structured gaming environment and I certainly don't think they're "brain dead". When I first discovered BC 4 yrs ago I thought it was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I had been dreaming for years of a space simulator where I could zip around the galaxy exploring. I usually spend the first day or so of game time trading, mining, and upgrading my cc, then I clear all the baddies from Sol system. When that is done I start exploring. I try out all the Fluxfields (make sure you SAVE before going thru!) and sometimes find myself at the opposite side of the galaxy and have to fight my way back to friendly territory (kind of a Star Trek Voyager type scenario). A few times I've set myself an objective to visit every planet and every moon in the game galaxy and never quite could get to them all. Be creative - set your own objectives. BC isn't a game where you win or lose. The point isn't to win.

That said - I don't think BC is perfect. I do have my own gripes. One - even with a machine that blows away even the recommended specs (and sorry, but I haven't updated my system specs in a while) it still can stop responding at times and I still get CTD so often that I tend to save every 10 - 15 minutes. I also WISH there were some multimonitoring capabilities built in. It would be SO COOL to have the forward display on one monitor with the left and right side views displayed on two other monitors. Also would LOVE it if the MFD's could be separated from the HUD and put on their own smaller monitors. But hey - I take my gaming to a level that many don't care to. I even built my own flight simulator cockpit in my garage.

Another gripe I have is that the AI for enemy NPCs is way too easy to defeat. Once my CC is fully upgraded my engineers get bored because I almost never run into any baddies that can so much as scratch the paint on my CC before I blow them away.

I'll probably retire BCMG soon and buy UCSE but UC seems to be more 1st person oriented and that just isn't my forte.

RT, I meant a specific game objective. Something like taking eight Marines and destroying/capturing a certain objective. Landing Marines with the objective of "blow stuff up" is about as appealing as zooming around the galaxy with no other purpose than to blow stuff up.

I do have one objective left, though, that had slipped my mind. I never did locate the Reingard. Now I have purpose again. If anything gets in my way, I'll just have to blow it up, but blowing things up is no longer all I have.

While I'm here, does anyone know of any other campaigns that have been written for BCM? That would be cool.

• 2 weeks later...

In the Errata section of the Appendix, I've seen these objectives listed:

1. Gain more member nations for Galactic Command.

2. Allocate resource units to build additional starbases, starstations, and defense systems within the Terran quadrant.

Can these things actually be done? It'd be pretty cool if you could save up a qudragazillion creds. and then build your very own starbase!

These things are for roleplay only I guess..or for another title.

As for the extra BCM campaign, no.

If you're looking for more campaign action, buy UC:CE which features all the BC and UC campaign with the UC:SE engine.

I've played with the UC demo, and I liked it (except for those annoying little boxes with ship information that clutter up the screen. Can't even see what you're supposed to be shooting at!). But I'm also a bit hesitant to pay for something that isn't supported by the publisher/whatever. We're on a very tight budget. $20 may seem like nothing to a lot of people - it doesn't to us.

When playing a campaign in any game, you need to creme the enemy from the start to win. In BCM, you need to get to Supreme Commander as quickly as possible. If you don't succeed in your first missions perfectly and actually go beyond the objectives, it will be impossible to win no matter how well you do in subsequent missions.

Just because you run out of tasks doesn't mean you've done well in a campaign. Often it is quite the contrary. It can mean that the central command planners have run out opportunities or missions to assign you. More missions should be thought of as more opportunities for victory, not that things are going badly.

If you get a high rank too late, you will be too late to have much tasks left, which very well could mean you have lost. Probably the best thing to do is start over from scratch in such a situation.