New UC shots

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

...they are scenery and I'm not going to enable their attack matrix...enable their invincibility flag.

Then one could assume THAT ALL scenic objects are unaffected by weapons fire and player interaction. All objects are penetrable; you can go right through them.

And if so, that would mean that trees and other vegetation are not useful to the player. The player can't use them as a means of cover as a marine(weapons fire is not obstructed) and fighters/vehicles are able to fly/drive right through tree trunks.

Am I right? Because I REALLY hope I'm wrong!!!!

This has really been bugging a lot of my friends and I. It would really reduce the games realism...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Extinct_Reptilia:

quote:

...they are scenery and I'm not going to enable their attack matrix...enable their invincibility flag.

Then one could assume THAT ALL scenic objects are unaffected by weapons fire and player interaction. All objects are penetrable; you can go right through them.

Rubbish.

quote:

This has really been bugging a lot of my friends and I. It would really reduce the games realism...

Whatever. And I don't see where exactly you were promised realism at any level. Better start looking for a different game.

quote:

Originally posted by DREADA:

Well, the mere fact that there is wildlife in the game will make any hardcore bc player grin ecstatically full stop! This is a first and a great addition to an already vastly unique, unrivalled gaming universe. I thought perhaps this was gonna be canned coz of lack of time. So a big thanks, SC!

Believe me, the vegetation and the flocking code for these animals, birds, insects, fish etc etc makes the just look/feel different when you're out in the wilderness. Fine tuning touches like issues with collision detect here and there, line of sight etc etc can be tweaked forever and still not come out right. So, the plan is to do the best I can and then whatever I miss will be addressed later.

quote:

Huh? I don't see how SC saying the animals are invincible has anything to do with being able to pass through trees.

Animals and vegetation are both considered scenery or part of the landscape in UC. They are both related and therefore it does has something to do with "being able to pass through trees."

My concern about the vegetation is dead and gone. I'm completly satisfied with the answer. There is no need to warn me about anything, I'm not doing anything out of line here. Jaguar, I was simply replying to Sebbish's comment, just like how many other people on here reply to posts everyday. Sebish seems to be the one with the question.

Sebish said:

quote:

Huh? I don't see how SC saying the animals are invincible has anything to do with being able to pass through trees?

and I replied:

quote:

Animals and vegetation are both considered scenery or part of the landscape in UC. They are both related and therefore it does has something to do with "being able to pass through trees."

I just wanted to state why I thought there was a connection between the vegetation and the "animals". I wasn't even asking a "question".

I'm just being an active participant to these forums and staying on the topic. And It appears that topic, of this post, is STILL about my FORMER query. That is NOT my fault.

And I would like to say again Jaguar, My concern about the vegetation is dead and gone. I'm completly satisfied with the answer.

Sorry for the misunderstanding that seems to be evident here.

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

BTW,
can
you pass through the trees? It seems like the question wasn't actually answered.

Only some of them e.g. grass, shrubs etc. Thick trees have 3D model trunks which are used as collision detect volumes.

quote:

Originally posted by Extinct_Reptilia:

Rubbish.

Well, you should have asked the question directly instead of making inuendos etc.

If you had come right out and asked it, instead of putting your assumptions out there for all to see, you probably would have gotten an answer a lot quicker.

In other words, you were being a smart ass, and were getting the answers that you deserved.

Whats a day at the park without the usual sports like duck hunting, bird watching, skeeter shooting, bear hunting....when you're supposed to be guarding the base? Sounds like a day in the life of Resnig.

photo759

photo761

photo768

photo770

photo777

photo782

photo783

photo784

I want my UC, I want my UC, I want my UC, see the bruise on my head, it's from banging my head on my desk in frustration, when those shots should say Jaguar, NOT Derek Smart!!!! ARGH!!!!

I want my UC, I want my UC!!! Everybody, sing it with me now!!! LOL

Those are beautiful SC, just fantastic!!!

Oh, and wouldn't that just be wild, you're wandering around in the woods, and then boom, you're dead, a Bear ripped you from head to gut. Keep alert there marine!!!

There will be nuclear submarines. What that means I don't know. There will be fish as said in a previous post but I am wondering if there will be any hostile underwater life to avoid.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Whats a day at the park without the usual sports like duck hunting, bird watching, skeeter shooting, bear hunting....when you're supposed to be guarding the base? Sounds like a day in the life of Resnig.

Hey knock it off with the bear hunting

quote:

Originally posted by Marine:

There will be nuclear submarines. What that means I don't know. There will be fish as said in a previous post but I am wondering if there will be any hostile underwater life to avoid.

Hey you! Yeah, you! I've been made aware of your crap on the DC forums. You bring that stupid crap over here and you'll be banned so fast you'd think the site were under quarantine. In fact, you know what, you're NOT posting here again because I don't want you here.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

Those birds.. especially 777.. look like turkeys! Is this a hint we will be shooting turkeys in UC in a couple of weeks?!?

WOOHOO!

hehe, no. As I previously mentioned, I will turn on their invincibility flag so that they cannot be killed. And as far as behavior is concerned, I'm not turning that on either. So there is no threat of being attacked by bears. Because of the advanced AI kernel, animals are no different from, say, marines. For me to have animals attack, all I have to do is give them some behaviour modification and a threat matrix. But then there is a good chance that you'll have stuff like lions going after horses or such nonsense - unless I write code to prevent it from happening.

People who are asking questions about hunting wildlife just don't get it. Its not that kind of game and even if that were allowed, they probably don't even have the horse power to run it if I enabled a threat matrix for them.

So, for the very LAST time, wildlife are like the terrain vegetation - its just scenery; as part of the total immersion. Nothing more. Nothing less. And yesterday I put in the option to turn them on/off using commandline parameters.

Yes, there are underwater bases (for subs), wildlife (fish, incl. sharks etc), vegetation (seaweed, plankton etc) etc. Will try to post some shots later when I'm testing a scenario in which I have to jump off the deck of a perfectly good carrier.

All characters can swim; so there are no special scuba marines.

[ 11-13-2003, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Roff Kaiser:

I wonder if we could use the unkillable bear as a moving shield ? ie we assult the base using a bear to duck behind blowing up the whole base 5 hours later.

PS can't wait,can't wait, for the best game ever!

Bear training is NYI

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Hey knock it off with the bear hunting

To anyone wondering why I made this comment is because my last name is pronounced BEAR (even though it's spelt slightly different) and not because I'm a wildlife advocate.

Anyway, UC is shaping up to a game better than could be imagined. Looks like, however, I'll need to upgrade a bit for Ultimate Requirements

┬À Pentium IV 3Ghz or equivalent AMD processor

┬À 512 MB RAM