Interview - Homelan

Supreme Cmdr

Am I the only one that feels sad for the fact that Derek made the statement that BCM/G and UC will be the last games of their kind? I know I'm late to the dance and I didn't even bring a date but this bums me out. It sucks to have TAPS played on this title when it's been out for a month. I know it's being supported etc., but a lot of the tone (sorry I know interpretation is subject to bias) seems to indicate a need to appease detractors of UC. I think that Edge to Edge will be a great game but I also believe it will face stiff competiton from the newest LucasArts title (Star Wars Battleground) set to be released in the coming months. I have always preferred Star Trek to Star Wars and find 3000AD's games (at least the one I proudly own) to be a mixture of the two (fighter combat and starship combat) that surpasses either of the franchises' scope. Regardless, I can't help but tip a hat to the end of such a dynamic pursuit as UC.

Aside from that ... *snickers* ... a great and candid interview as always.

Peace

Well, if you did the BCMG/UC type of games for over a decade, you'd be tired of it too.

Besides, the industry has changed a lot since the old days. And unless devs (especially indies) change with it, there is no business. Which is why a LOT of them go out of business.

I'm not doing UCE2E to appease anyone. You're assuming that I give a sh*t about what a few puny inconsequential detractors think. You really, truly, SHOULD know me better.

I am doing it primarily because I want to do something lite and in the short term and using the untapped potential in UC tech.

Apart from that, the next PC title from us is not due out until late 2006 or early 2007. Surely you don't expect me to sit on my hands and knees until KnightBlade ships. Not to mention the fact that UC underlying tech contains a LOT of unrealized potential, which I'm using in UCE2E. Sure, I could have done another BCMG/UC type product as UCE2E with the new graphics engine, but why on Earth would I want to do that? How many people do think would want to fork out money for another UC game, with merely a graphics facelift, less than a year later?

UCE2E is a completely different kind of game, and since I'm NOT planning to do a UC Gold edition (like I did with BCM) since DC have rights to UC for the next four years, once again, BCMG and UC are the very last games of their kind.

The next yet-to-be-named BC title will have all the legendary BC features, but its going back to its roots and focusing on a more indepth and personal feel with the focus on a single carrier, single race/caste choice etc. This way, it can be more fully fleshed out and realized.

Finally, UCE2E is NOT being developed in order to compete with anything - most especially not SWB. So many times I hear this nonsense about one title competing against another, then the another comes out and its rubbish, tanks at retail etc. When I design and subsequently develop a game, I go in with the premise that everything people think its supposed to be competing with, is pure and utter rubbish. For example, SWB is a BF1942 ripoff set in the Star Wars galaxy. Yeah, innovation strikes again.

*Snickers* Point taken and understood. Yes I SHOULD have surely known better. Well, I wish you minimal hurdles and multiple successes with these two titles and I'm looking forward to RC8 for UC which unlike most games in my collection will likely hold me over until your next installment

Tak

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

How many people do think would want to fork out money for another UC game, with merely a graphics facelift, less than a year later?

Actually if you released an updated version of UC/BCG a year later with a graphics update and say, oh I don't know, the ability to send Marines to enemy ships, I would definitly buy it, and I'm sure most of the people on this board would too.

As a matter of fact, if you came out with a yearly update, tweaked a few things here, added some of the dropped stuff there, I would buy it every time!

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

How many people do think would want to fork out money for another UC game, with merely a graphics facelift, less than a year later?

Actually if you released an updated version of UC/BCG a year later with a graphics update and say, oh I don't know, the ability to send Marines to enemy ships, I would definitly buy it, and I'm sure most of the people on this board would too.

As a matter of fact, if you came out with a yearly update, tweaked a few things here, added some of the dropped stuff there, I would buy it every time!

I know I would as well, but you have to look at the SC's bottom line. Even if he were able to sell 5,000 units to diehards like us, he would probably not break even.

He has to go where he can make money, otherwise he will drive his way right into bankruptcy.

Yeah it would be wonderful, but I cannot afford to drop $500 to make it worth his while...

You're a businessman, so I know you know exactly where he is coming from, but it is a wonderful thought....