UCAWA Review - Strategy Informer

Supreme Cmdr

Just came across this in my browsing.

The opening paragraphs are suspect. He's talking as if you had to look at each and every display in order to the play the game. Even in combat, you only have to focus on two displays. The HUD and the TRS (radar). As if it were any harder than any average sim out there.

Whats wrong with these people or are we the BC/UC players, the last remaining signs of gamer intelligence left in the known [gaming] universe? Seriously.

quote:

Of course, it boasts a multiplayer mode also, but that presents a bit of a problem in itself because if your friends can play it better than you it means they are smarter.

LMAO!! So true.

[ 01-23-2006, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Apparently, in space, where there is no friction and no air and whatnot, a large ship turns like a mule. Who knew?

Heh, he must be the first that actually thinks that the large ships should handle more lightly? Momentum obviously doesn't play a big role in his opinion.

quote:

A professional aircraft controller would probably have a hard time monitoring all the displays that you need to keep your eye on and understand in order to play this game well.

I hope not, else I won't set a foot in a plane again

quote:

Perhaps 3000 AD Inc. should re-name their company ÔÇ£Missing the Point Inc.ÔÇØ

Hmm, can you hire this guy, he's really funny ...hmm.

quote:

This is technically a very good game if you are a technically minded person who is prepared to put some work into your gaming

Amen! I thought this was the basic idea with a simulation.

quote:

the last remaining signs of gamer intelligence

the Shaun of the Dead opening credits sequence comes to mind when I think of the average gamer

but seriously, I think this quote sums up the state of gaming these days: "This is technically a very good game if you are a technically minded person who is prepared to put some work into your gaming. If you're looking for an instantaneous gratification fix, you're severely out of luck."

instantaneous gratification fix. Thats what most of the gamers these days want. Wow us with the graphics feed us the story line and get me home by supper so I can play the enxt offering.

I just thought I would take issue with the point he trys to make about air traffic controlers having problems with this game. While I am not an air traffic controler myself, I am a private pilot and have seen the job those guys do.

Air Traffic Controlers have a much harder job than that guy can ever immagine, and if he thinks they are too stupid to play this game than he has no clue what the hell he is talking about. I honestly do not understand how the people running ATC of my local airport are able to do the job they do.

If an Air Traffic Controler were to not play this game it isn't because it is 'too hard' or because he is 'too stupid' but rather because his job is so hard all of the time that he would rather play something easy.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

This is technically a very good game if you are a technically minded person who is prepared to put some work into your gaming

This guy is an idiot.

Every game you buy you have to put SOME work into playing. We weren't born with joystick / gamepad configurations implanted in our DNA.

OH NO! The poor baby actually has to pick up a manual and LEARN SOMETHING!

There hasn't been a real game released where you don't have SOME kind of work to do to learn it since.... well, ... since the mindless Pac Man.

This guy is an idiot.

There's no doubt it's not a pick up and play type simulation. If you're in the mood for Soul Caliber-like action, of course UC:AWA won't sate your appetite. Most gamers will tire of the visceral, instant-gratification type games from time to time, and it's times like these when you can really sink your teeth into the cerebral BC/UC universe.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Whats wrong with these people or are we the BC/UC players, the last remaining signs of gamer intelligence left in the known [gaming] universe? Seriously.

I think the review gave you the ultimate compliment:

quote:

To sum it up in one handy catch phrase:

Universal Combat: A World Apart: A gamer's game.