Universal Combat - First Impressions

Supreme Cmdr

I don't mind.

I understand the processing issue, which is why I said a "static" moon. Just add it as an esthetic point of reference out there among that nebula stuff. Make it look good, and it will help orient you in battle. Since the SUN also helps orient you but gives you glare at the sametime.

Also, is it Jupiter where there are 3 moons around jupiter. I know it is a quiet region, but if planetside can handle about a billion trees, buildings and little men running around, why would the earth, moon and its star stations really tax my rig more then the planetside action....if all I gotta do is upgrade my measly 1 gig of ram to 2 to play a BC series game, them I am there !!

Kidding aside, that would be the most awesome, but all I was thinking of is just a bitmap outthere to "pretend" for now. Put it so that when you face the jumpgate for the moon that it appears beyond it. It just makes sense for a space sim to "show" the moon when its so darn close to earth.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got UC last week, and just started playing it. I'm so used to the old controls I have to have the insert with the controls on it handy at all times. Everything seems pretty cool, but I noticed a few things.

1. At one point or another, i remember you (SC) talking about being able to send marines to different parts of your CC like Deck 1 Deck 2, you know. Is this ever going to be implemented? I think that would make it a little easier defending your ship against them intruders, definatly when you only have a few marines in a heavy cruiser!

2. I could be wrong about this, but I thought somewhere it was said you could send marines over to capture other ships. Will this ever be feasable?

The game looks great and I'm sorry about the budget price, except EB charged me the FULL $40! I preordered UC as soon as I could, which was a long long time ago. Maybe thats why, I'm just not to happy with EB keeping the extra, because you should be the one getting it SC. Still, I really like how some of the ships look. One minor tick, why is there trees EVERYWHERE. I used tacops to look at Earth when I started. I looked around everything was nice. Then I looked at the North pole. More green. I can understand the time it might take to fix this on every single planet that has trees and grass, so don't take this too seriously. I like the control sheme for space flight. It got rid of an old peeve I had with tapping 0 and instantly stopping. Lastly, I know it's been said enough, but stations have no chance of being destroyed, ever. Unless you use the cloak trick which gives you 100% chance of success because it can't fire back.

Resnig looks so happy now! I liked his old clueless, toughguy grin.

First of all i've been a supporter of the bc series so you can call me unbiased if you want to

but i think UC looks AWESOME . I hear complaining about the graphics and i think it's nonsense. The're good graphics. Just fired up OFP (which i love btw) and the trees and bushes look something like this.

I tried GroundOps first and this has changed a lot

compared to BCMG ( some a ppl say it's the same, must be playing a different version of BCMG)Trees, bushes etc makes it look a lot better.

Then i the noticed the wildlife i was amazed to see tigers, lion, birds (different),apes if was wondering if some animals were related to their geographical location so i checked the arctic areas and the game has Polar Bears ! and of course lotsa fish.

And of course other weather effects of rain / lightning ,dusk / dawn. Combination is cool. Noticed some other ppl complaining about the fact that is was always dark when they deployed troops. Guess they didn't check the timezones in tacops.

The gunships are very cool. De graphics and the models are good and the control on the gunships a lot better then in BCMG. I hear ppl complaining about physics but why do ppl complain about this in UC while other games like BF1942 or OFP this is also a compromise. And you're gonna apply these on Earth but also on Mars, and Venus? This is UC no LO-MAC of FB. VTOL is a great and te waypoint LAND, DEPLOY options have improved greatly.

I've been playing the UC demo and placed a bunch of waypoints for my shuttle. The cool thing is that u have different kinda vehicles on your battlecruiser [OC1 - OC8] for example 2 HAV, 2 CAV, 4 MAYHEM. So you can send a small army to a planet when you load 4 marines in each OC and 4 marines in each shuttle.

So i selected a TER/INS base and placed the waypoints 1st [proceed to next] the initial waypoint then [deploy vehicle] in my case a MAYHEM tank and last e [deploy team] waypoint.

Then ik placed the three waypoints for OC5 (MAYHEM tank) 1st [proceed to next] then a [deploy team] and the last [sAD].

battleplan waypoints.

They attacked the base but many didn't make it did manage to a evacuate a few of them.

I tried the Marauder in the last IA mission of UC

to take out the marines. It was cool to take out the marines from VTOL mode and i thought pretty safe in this machine until a smart*** Assualt Marine blew me right out of the sky. They have missiles too.

Then i tried a ROAM mode as a marine but now the're a lot more options then before an way more weapons. Needed to check the profile for the gear.

So i started a career as MIM i chose a CAV as unit and i drove to a DJP. When i started i heard that two squads where assigned to me! So when i arrived at the DJP a bunch of marines headed my way (ALPHA, BRAVO squad). I jumped through the DJP to another NME base (TER/INS) and i heard a "startrek transporter-sound" they all jumped after me . I was busy looking at the marines coming thtough the DJP and i got killed.

As a hardcoresimmer i find the air/space combat pretty good. On the planet you can take nme fighters out rather easily with missiles and it's alot harder with guns/lasers like in any other flightsim.

One thing though the game was a lot more demanding

than i anticipated. Felt a little like LO-MAC. Another thing i noticed was, when i entered a mobile SAL i was able to fire at nme fighters but i was unable to launch missiles from a SAM site.

But there's a lot more than i expected, the new Gunships, marines types, profiles (wildlife) it all comes together now.

Hopefully GBS-III will be released in the future which will show the possibilities of this game.

Oh, and i heard ppl having CTDs but i haven't had a single one yet.

[ 02-14-2004, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Mano Faber ]

First impressions?

Visualy stunning a great improvement on my previous BCM.

Sounds good very atmospheric and quite realistic.

ACM scenario I would have liked more choice of Asset.

The 1-9 keys that in BCM controlled speed I really miss, thats 1 of 2 gripes.

And also in BCM I liked the fact that you could set the speed from the main viewscreen.

But overall congratulations on a job well done.

To wander in fashionably late:

I put enough hours into BCM a couple years back that much of UC was familiar to me upon starting it up. A few things have shifted about here and there, either in the interface or in my memory--took me awhile to find where the option was to launch all fighters at once from the HUD, for instance.

Down planetside definitely looks and handles better than I recall it being in BCM; it also seems to be the bit where my current computer's performance suffers the most during any activity, but upgrades are in my future anyway. I like the flocking wildlife; more options for them (toggling by type, for instance) would be well-received. They add a nice touch.

The music didn't sit right at first, and mostly made me recall that I liked BCM's better--so what I ended up doing was digging into the games storage and reinstalling it just long enough to copy over its music for UC's use.

Thus far, it's been much more stable out of the box than Millennium was--the only crashes I've had so far were because of a known reactor-upgrade-red-alert bug that's already being acted on.

Dropped cargo pods seem to be much more lucrative than they were before, which is terrific starting out.

Ok, although its just an opinion here's what I think about the game. It has the complexity I love about the other titles. After a steep learning curve the game is quite rewarding. The graphics, although not of key impotance in a title like this, have problems. I have a stable system, the latest patch for UC, and the latest drivers for my radeon 9000 pro and I still get wierd flashing on the terrain and the joints of objects in space (only sometimes though). I've changed every setting in my video options and the game options to no avail. But all in all, I can get past this. The sound is pretty good, not mind blowing, but the the background chatter and combat sounds keep me pleased enough. The music is pretty solid. I was glad to hear a little more sci-fi epic stuff going on but there's still the odd beep-boop'n song that makes me throw in a CD instead of listening to the game's tracks.

But here's the important stuff, gameplay. Am I the only person who realizes that nothing has changed? I mean, when a game developer says the next title will have a more streamlined and intuitive interface, I expect a little more that a square HUD being replaced by a round HUD. It still takes the same 10-20 mouse clicks just to send a fighter out to attack a planetside base. That's assuming it makes it there without crashing upon re-entry, stopping in mid air, or just crashing to desktop. I got used to this in 3000 and Millenium but come on, after a decade of programming I expected a slight improvement. The other two things that bothered me were naval combat and the first person mode. The Naval combat, how shall I say, is lacking. It sort of... well... ISN'T EVEN THERE! I saw "Naval Combat" on the box, said "that should be cool", and just shook my head when I couldn't find that "naval commander" career in the roam mode. And as for the first person mode, I think it actually got worse. It's more fidgety to control than millenium, the frame rate on lowest detail is still choppy, and the lack of stuff to fight in the marine career is sort of disapointing. Unfortunately, even though I'm a fan of the series, the bad suff in UC is really getting to me. The screen shots show guys sitting in those cool jeeps and ATV's, but I get the feeling that my AE must be driving from the baggage compartment cause nobody's in the driver's seat in my copy of UC.

I want to say that UC is an improvement, but until Mr. Smart patches the hell out of it I'm going to stick with BC Millenium Gold and Freelancer. UC just isn't living up to the previous titles and it certainly isn't anything more than a visiual improvement.

P.S. I'm sorry to hear about that crap with Dreamcatcher. I may have my issues with UC but nobody should have to deal with a bunch of slimy execs, especially when they butcher your profit margin without telling you. I'm from Canada I'd I felt kind of bad picking it up for $19.99

quote:

Originally posted by Darkken Nightshade:

I nice spotlight or the view mode equal to the cool green nightvision like I have in first person is really needed on the ships for flying on the darkside of the planet. (if i missed something I can do now please tell me!) Changing the HUD color helps but it doesn't light up the ground ahead of me.

Was planning on putting that in, but of course, it didn't make the cut.

quote:

I know it is a quiet region, but if planetside can handle about a billion trees, buildings and little men running around, why would the earth, moon and its star stations really tax my rig more then the planetside action....if all I gotta do is upgrade my measly 1 gig of ram to 2 to play a BC series game, them I am there !!

...uhm, because none of those billions of trees do any collision detect nor AI processing?

quote:

Originally posted by Mano Faber:

Hopefully GBS-III will be released in the future which will show the possibilities of this game.

I just released it to you guys in our Beta program, since you are already familiar with GBS-I and GBS-II. I don't plan on releasing it to the public.

quote:

Originally posted by Spaceghost:

The 1-9 keys that in BCM controlled speed I really miss, thats 1 of 2 gripes.

I put that back in the 1.00.02 RC3 patch. Go download it.

quote:

Originally posted by nexusmind:

I have a stable system, the latest patch for UC, and the latest drivers for my radeon 9000 pro and I still get wierd flashing on the terrain and the joints of objects in space (only sometimes though). I've changed every setting in my video options and the game options to no avail.

Nothing to do with the game. Wait until ATI get their drivers act in gear. I am running a 9800PRO with Catalyst 4.2 and have NO problems.

quote:

The Naval combat, how shall I say, is lacking. It sort of... well... ISN'T EVEN THERE!

Rubbish

quote:

and just shook my head when I couldn't find that "naval commander" career in the roam mode.

Who said that the ability to control naval assets had ANYTHING to do with a career? You can control SAMs and vehicles, but do you see a career for SAM or vehicle commander? And WHERE on the box does it say ANYTHING about a naval commander? Please show it to me.

quote:

Am I the only person who realizes that nothing has changed? I mean, when a game developer says the next title will have a more streamlined and intuitive interface, I expect a little more that a square HUD being replaced by a round HUD. It still takes the same 10-20 mouse clicks just to send a fighter out to attack a planetside base.

Nothing has changed? You must be kidding

The interface is streamlined just fine. But since you're not playing it, you won't know.

It is a franchise property and there is NO reason to replace what works just because someone wants it to change. It was just FINE the way it was before. I did streamline it by redoing the menus, removing the icons, grouping the various HUD elements (e.g. weapons all on the left now), the ENTIRE fp HUD was completely re-written, the flight sim vertical tape HUD was replaced with a sci-fi graphic etc etc I could - from my design dos - list no less than.....61 interface revisions.

...yeah, nothing has changed. pah!

[ 02-16-2004, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Spotlight: Too bad, thank goodness for the awsome terrain avoidance, and tacops.

Moon Subject: I understand about the tree/life forms adding little overhead, but some of the planetside battles to get intense, was hoping that it compared (guess not) but I'll still pony up another gig of ram if that's what it takes

Also, I've been playing with the png skybox files to add a static moon for myself in earth region 1.

RC3, where please? I don't see it on either website's support/downloads yet...I'll be playing with renewed enthusiasm with the 1-9, kudos on your description of the design and intergration of both methods. Awesome!

Just got UC, and I like it.

It has a few (minor) things I dont like in it though, like the aforementioned 0-9 speed controls, and the green overture on portraits. Makes it a lot harder to identify who's talking, since there's less contrast.

Then there's the nonconfigurable control scheme. Maybe it's fine for you people who use a WASD control scheme primarily, but for those of us crazy enough to use something else, it would be nice to be able to change it.

I think the speed reduction on (nearly?) every ship is for the most part good, it is annoying when you're trying to get somewhere 50+ km from where you are... I miss my BCM firestorm traveling at 1.5km/s, though...

One oddity - the 3000ad intro clip looks like its in 256 color... maybe it's just me? (I run my desktop in 32 bit color)

Overall, though, a solid improvement over an already good BCM.

Edit : Noticed the RC3 patch fixes the speed settings.

[ 02-16-2004, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Kartoffel ]

You seem to get the impression that I didn't like the game. I LOVE these games! I mean, I spent the time learning the interface in the other BC games and I DID notice the odd change in UC. The amount of time that must have gone into this thing over the years is staggering and I wouldn't even begin to think that I could do better in any area of this title. I simply pointed stuff out that I disliked or had hoped for. The game rocks dude, it just doesn't feel like a big step up from Millenium.

1.) I've had problems with my Radeon in the past so if that's whats going on, sorry for the criticism.

2.) The Box- UNIVERSAL COMBAT: LAND, SPACE, SEA, AIR. I don't think I'm nuts for thinking I'd be able to jump into a naval career of some sort. The back mentions "fierce naval engagements" and I'm still looking for a boat, sub, mini-sub, or ship that responds to the / key in the same way that the SAMs and turrets do.

3.) Maybe I was a little quick to judge the interface, I played Millenium for an hour or so followed by UC and there is a little less hassle. But I have to be honest, I still get a little upset when my shuttle responds to a "land" waypoint as a "crash into the ground at full speed repeatedly until I blow up" waypoint, especially after spending 20 minutes in tacops setting up the invasion. I don't recall this ever happening in Millenium but I've lost half my brave marines in UC to shuttle crashes.

Honestly I'm impressed that you responded so quickly, not to mention personally. Any lead designer that cares that much instantly earns my respect. So I was wrong on a few points, but I'll stand by some of what I said.

quote:

Spotlight: Too bad, thank goodness for the awsome terrain avoidance, and tacops.

I'll probably add it in, since it will be identical to the DIE mode. It all depends on time.

quote:

Originally posted by Kartoffel:

controls, and the green overture on portraits. Makes it a lot harder to identify who's talking, since there's less contrast.

If you have BCMG, you can replace them with those variants. The files are in the GFXNPC.ZIP file.

quote:

Originally posted by nexusmind:

You seem to get the impression that I didn't like the game.

uhm, no I didn't. I was merely correcting your misconceptions.

quote:

The amount of time that must have gone into this thing over the years is staggering and I wouldn't even begin to think that I could do better in any area of this title.

Go tell that to those yammering about how it could be better - when they have NO idea just how complex it is to balance those options.

quote:

2.) The Box- UNIVERSAL COMBAT: LAND, SPACE, SEA, AIR. I don't think I'm nuts for thinking I'd be able to jump into a naval career of some sort. The back mentions "fierce naval engagements" and I'm still looking for a boat, sub, mini-sub, or ship that responds to the / key in the same way that the SAMs and turrets do.

You can.

They all do.

Read the manual and its revision

quote:

I still get a little upset when my shuttle responds to a "land" waypoint as a "crash into the ground at full speed repeatedly until I blow up" waypoint, especially after spending 20 minutes in tacops setting up the invasion. I don't recall this ever happening in Millenium but I've lost half my brave marines in UC to shuttle crashes.

Do it properly. Like, well, everyone else

quote:

So I was wrong on a few points, but I'll stand by some of what I said.

No worries

I'm starting to feel bad for being quick to judge UC. There are so many things that you start to realize after putting more than a few hours into the game. So far:

1.) Way better fighter combat in space. Millenium used to end up looking like high speed jousting matches. AI would just fly away from each other, turn, and burn right at each other guns balzing then repeat the whole thing. The slower speed of UC's fighters gives combat a "Homeworld" type feel with twists, turns, and evasion. Controlling the fighters manually is far easier too.

2.) Ground combat is growing on me. If you put the time into planning a strike it looks really cool. But I'm still wondering why all the screenshots show characters riding in the jeeps while in the game you can't see your AE in the cockpit. But that aside, its still fun.

3.) Love these new ship designs, I'm a sci-fi artist myself and have produced artwork for some indie titles and a television pilot script-pitch. The ship design in Millenium was one of the things I didn't like so much, but the new ones are a lot more solid and polished. You can see the same basic design as Millenium but they are far more refined and detailed. The texture work is seriously impressive.

I still have a bone to pick with the a few minor details but I'm starting to see where UC surpasses the previous titles. Good job as usual Smart, don't let a bunch of publishers stop these titles from coming.

quote:

Originally posted by vogelap:

I wanted to tell you about the conversation I had with the sales guy at Electronics Boutique... I came in and picked up the game and we chatted a bit while he was ringing me out. He said he'd heard a lot of
great
stuff about the game, and that he'd sold three other copies (in addition to mine) today. He'd even pulled a copy of UC off the shelves 'with intent to buy'. I think our conversation cemented his purchase decision.

Same thing happened to me when I went to Game Stop. The Sales guy had to call 3 stores since everyone was out of stock, so he asked me about the game. Told him about my experiences with BCMG and he got really excited about buying the game. After our conversation, he called the store that had it back and told them to hold another copy for him!

Oh sorry, 1st Impression, Game is Fantastic, love the way your marines learn from you on the planets and follow your orders. SUPER COOL! Only nitpick that I have is that I think Gasey Nebula thing is a little too much, especially around the Earth Region. Should be a little more Subdued.

Okay, I've been playing UC for a few days now and I have to say, "I love this game". I really enjoy the crafts and vehicles, the flora and fauna on planets, and the overall feel like I "got a brand new toy"..YAY! It didn't take much to get used to the new controls. One thing that I found that I miss is I can't seem to zoom in/out in F10 view of my ship or target. But no worries, I can still do that in TacOps. As with the BCM and BCM/G, UC has NOT presented ANY stability issues.

The entire Battlecruiser series has been (and continues to be)a delight to learn and play. The dev team did an excellent job. Good on ya!

Gary

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

Only nitpick that I have is that I think Gasey Nebula thing is a little too much, especially around the Earth Region. Should be a little more Subdued.

I'll probably change it, but that will invalidate saved games.

You can do it yourself. The Sol region uses skybox00 set. So, go to GFXSKYBOX.ZIP and extract all the files into a temp folder. Find the one you want and copy its set over to the skybox00 set. Zip up the file (without compression) and put it back in the folder.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

You can do it yourself. The Sol region uses skybox00 set. So, go to GFXSKYBOX.ZIP and extract all the files into a temp folder. Find the one you want and copy its set over to the skybox00 set. Zip up the file (without compression) and put it back in the folder.

Jeez you must have read my mind. I was thinking of doing that. I had already done something similar with the Assets.zip on the Demo, noticed that when I tried to select the fighters from Logistics to repair it would CTD. Noticed that the graphic was missing in the assets.zip file, so I copied the one from BCM/G, then overwrote newer images from the Demo, then replaced with the combined file. Result, no more CTD when selecting the Fighters in Logistics Menu.

At any rate, I was thinking of doing the same with the Skybox.zip to tone down the Nebula effect, but I wasn't sure which file it was yet.

Oh, one last thing, love the new controls personally, I'd rather the number keys be mapped to group selections, but I guess that aint gonna happen.

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

I had already done something similar with the Assets.zip on the Demo, noticed that when I tried to select the fighters from Logistics to repair it would CTD. Noticed that the graphic was missing in the assets.zip file, so I copied the one from BCM/G, then overwrote newer images from the Demo, then replaced with the combined file. Result, no more CTD when selecting the Fighters in Logistics Menu.

Please explain

SC I KNOW THAT MY COPY OF UC ISN'T REGISTERED YET, PLEASE DON'T DEACTIVATE ME!!!

(I lost my copy of BCMG in a move, didn't replace it 'cause I knew UC was coming out and haven't been able to log into DB. I just informed cat@3000ad and hopefully will be "legal" shortly)

OK, that said: first impressions

Overall: A great improvement on games that I loved to begin with!

Why?

The game's pacing is just about perfect for me.

When I say this understand that I have come to every BC title looking to "experience" of combined arms space combat from the combatant commander's viewpoint. Previous BC titles were good in this respect: I felt like I had a crew and a ship rather than a very large fighter with extremely powerful weapons. And Spare Parts! If amateurs study tactics and professionals study logistics then the BC's were definitely "professional" quality games because I spent a bunch of time in Logistix.

But something about the pacing always bugged me. Maybe the HJ times were shorter for the big ships. Maybe the realspace speeds were higher. Maybe the fighter turnrates were too. I don't know exactly what combination of factors it was because I can't load up BCMG and play it for comparison for reasons which should be obvious.

UC has removed that pacing gripe. I've been a naval officer since 1997 and UC's balance between inactivity and action has frequently reminded me of real world ops that I've been in or had related to me by fellow officers. Yeah, really. And I keep playing it. Which might be cause for a psych eval.

That's my overall first impression.

Andy P.

[ 02-20-2004, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Presby ]

This is my first post so, hello everyone!

I am a complete n00b, I got the game two days ago and have never played anything in the Battlecruiser series. Except for the demo to the last one, but I suppose that doesn't count.

I've been really enjoying myself so far, pretty much just flying around shooting stuff up, trying to get the hang of controlling everything. I expected a much steeper learning curve; the interface is rather intimidating. So far though it's only a matter of taking a couple minutes to track whatever I wat to do down in the manuel, and then its pretty straightforward from there. This game has better documentation than anything I've seen in a while. From what I've read in reveiws and around here there seems to be alot of debate about the graphics. I think they're quite good, but I also think people are looking at them in the wrong way. I fought my first large multi-ship a couple hours ago(Very intense. Bravo. I was destroyed.) and I remember that when I went into TACOPS to try to keep a handle on everything that was going on, the scene reminded me of nothing so much as an extremly complicated RTS. The graphics in this game are at the very least comparable to this, you never hear anybody complaining about the low poly-count for the units in Warcraft, even though when you zoom in you see that they're pretty darn low, and up close the units really don't look all that great. That is not the case in UC. I do wish that there were more sound effects; when I get into a space battle and my ship is being pounded, I'd generally expect my sub-woofer to be shaking the whole room. Oh well. I have crashed to desktop a couple of times, and in two days I guess thats not insubstantial. I don't know if this the game or some driver issue or something, when it comes to technical support im fairly inept. The crashes were really random, I tried repeating them, but I couldn't. Also, I can't for the life of me get my ship back into space once it's entered into a planet. I hit the engines and go up, but no matter what I do once I get to about 15000 on the altitude my ship inevitably comes falling down about 5000 feet (meters?) I keep thinking there's something I'm doing wrong, but I can't find it anywhere in the docs. And is there some time when you all are hosting multiplayer servers that I just don't know about? I'd think this would be great over the net, but no one is ever playing when I check.

Well, thats about it for my complaing. Cya all around.

quote:

Originally posted by Mariner:

Also, I can't for the life of me get my ship back into space once it's entered into a planet. I hit the engines and go up, but no matter what I do once I get to about 15000 on the altitude my ship inevitably comes falling down about 5000 feet (meters?) I keep thinking there's something I'm doing wrong, but I can't find it anywhere in the docs. And is there some time when you all are hosting multiplayer servers that I just don't know about? I'd think this would be great over the net, but no one is ever playing when I check.

Well, thats about it for my complaing. Cya all around.

Check RC4...

Log into your registration (for the game itself) here, and you should see a section to Download the Release Canidate patches(beta patches basically)

Login Here (Or Register Your Game)