Has anyone done this?

I spend yesterday 7 hours to kill a military Base in RTS like play. This means i tryed to kill that base only with Tacops instructions. I managed to kill all big Buildings, like Command&Controll Center etc. But im stuck at killing smaller Targets, like Vehicles, SAM and SL and these damn Bunkers. Here my report:

I setted the WP for my Fighters, first WP 5 km away from the Base and the second one with SAD in base, while using a manually missleloadout (10 ATS) they did theyr job fine, until they had 5 Missiles, then they stopped to fire any missiles at a target (i think its because they have to low AI), so i ordered em back to the CC. Next i deployed 4 Mayhem Tanks and 15 Marines. The tanks wont do much until i gived em direct orders to attack a selected Building, same with my Marines, i cant do anything if i give em just a SAD Waypoint, like i did with my fighters (anyone other figured that?) The only way i could kill a bunker or other buildings which only can be killed with missiles, was to order my fighters back in, giving em manually orders to attack it, but it takes forever, after all my FC have fired 5 Missiles each, they must return to my CC and wait 15 Minutes until theyre ready again. If i order Assault Marines to kill a Bunker than they shot at it, but all Missiles are missing it.

I was wondering why the STO are not firing at me, my cc was 150km away from the Planet and i viewed for about 7 hours on the base... (i dont killed em)

Please post your tactics, how to crush a military Base in the shortest time, with RTS Command

[ 03-15-2004, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: Darkreaver1980 ]

Thank you, i would be happy if my marines would avoid the nondestructable buildings...hmm anyway why dont make it so that marines can damage all building, not the full damage, i would say like 10% from the firepower, so we have a reason to use them. Its fun to watch Marines vs Marines combat, but i have no reason to do it, i want to kill the base not the marines :-)

It just takes to long to launch your fighters 5-20 times just to blast all buildings away, its 1000 times faster to use a OTS but where is the fun in it?

Why not jump into a fighter or a tank and lead the way for your forces..... must be more funny....you can even order your CC to go planetside and park 5-10km away from the combat zone, ready to make a nasty surprise with its main gun and PTA system to the enemy base as soon as the ground defences and enemy fighters/launch pads are down....

quote:

Originally posted by Darkreaver1980:

why dont make it so that marines can damage all building, not the full damage, i would say like 10% from the firepower, so we have a reason to use them. Its fun to watch Marines vs Marines combat, but i have no reason to do it, i want to kill the base not the marines :-)

No

1. fp weapons are not designed for taking out buildings (only launchers can do that)

2. You're not supposed to use personnel for that. You have vehicles and fighters for that

edit: i played a bit with my marines, if i order them to attack vehicles and gunships, than they kill these in like 3-5 seconds, but it takes a huge amount of time to give all 15 marines orders for every unit to attack. If SAD would simply ignore any structures it would ROCK!

Just imagine you watch how the shuttles deploy your troops than they run through the wohle base leaving 20 vehicle wracks and 50 dead soldiers behind em

How about doing the same for tanks, just drop out the buildings on SAD which they cant destroy... (i know its said easyr than its done )

I have a little Question, if i press 5 while in FPS mode on a Planet i can select units/buildings (TDU), but what do it do? in the manual there is writen that it select units for my troops, which indentify it + attack?!

BTW, thanks for your reply :-)

[ 03-15-2004, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Darkreaver1980 ]

Speaking of STO's...(my favorite topic I did the same staring from ~100 km that Darkreaver1980 did and still never got drilled by and STO. Are they disabled in this rev?