More Newbie Problems

My fighter pilots never seem to use more than 5 of their missiles. I've tried giving them 10 of the same missile, 10 different ones, and various combinations of different missiles, including the default loadouts, but when they have 5 left they stop using them. Is this something to do with pilot AI? Are they just too dumb to count to 10? Will this change after they have flown enough combat missions?

Also, when I set a deployment waypoint on a planet for my shuttles, they always seem to overshoot the waypoint by several kilometers. Usually this means that I have to drive my OC's for a LONG time before they get to see any action.. if they don't get killed by enemy fighters before they can get back under my own fighter cover.

As the title implies, I'm a newbie, so if there are obvious solutions that I've just overlooked try not to fry me too bad ..=)

PS I've tried setting 2 proceed to next waypoints in line to my deployment waypoint, so at least I can tell which direction they will overshoot the LZ now

Topic changed: More Stupid Newbie Problems wasn't appropriate. We don't have stupid newbies around here. Just vets in the making

[ 05-22-2003, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

They will only use them

1. if they have to
  2. if they are the proper missiles e.g. they're not going to fire STS missiles on a planet. Those are space missiles.

The shuttle pilots will overshoot depending on terrain, AI, where the waypoint is etc etc. Your solution is the best bet. Just use Proceed To Next as the first waypoint, then give the actual wp as WP#2 and try to keep it around 2km or longer so that they have time to plot an approach without again overshooting by much.

[ 05-22-2003, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I've tried several times to get my fighters to fire more than 5 missiles to no avail. Specific loadouts that I tried were 10 STS Starchild missiles for space combat, and 5 ATS Harpoon + 5 ATA mariner for planetary combat. This also applies to my AE and autopilot in my CC. If the tactical officer is off station and not reloading my weapons, my autopilot will stop firing missiles once they are down to 10. This happens regardless of the orders I've tried giving them. Even in the middle of dogfights, if they only have half of their missiles left, they will stop firing them and try to use guns. Could you maby offer a suggestion as to how to get them to fire the rest of their missiles.

Also, after several operations on a planet, all the target boxes on buildings/vehicles disappear. This happened to my marines also, so I can't click on them to give the evac order. I've probably screwed something up, so is there any way to correct this?

PS Spacebar doesn't restore the boxes.

[ 05-23-2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Mongoose ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mongoose:

I've tried several times to get my fighters to fire more than 5 missiles to no avail. Specific loadouts that I tried were 10 STS Starchild missiles for space combat, and 5 ATS Harpoon + 5 ATA mariner for planetary combat. This also applies to my AE and autopilot in my CC. If the tactical officer is off station and not reloading my weapons, my autopilot will stop firing missiles once they are down to 10. This happens regardless of the orders I've tried giving them. Even in the middle of dogfights, if they only have half of their missiles left, they will stop firing them and try to use guns. Could you maby offer a suggestion as to how to get them to fire the rest of their missiles.

Like SC said, they will use them if they have to. For example, in emergency, when their craft is badly damaged. Then they will use the rest of them. Be patient. It takes time to learn how your crew behaves.