User guides/walkthroughs?

Numskll

I'm a newbie and a baby. I'm struggling with the learning the game. I wonder if there are fan sites, walk throughs, or other useful newbie information out there. I'm reading the manual and the appendix frequently and repeatedly, though perhaps my reading comprehension is poor, but the game is still daunting to learn.

Part of my problem is there is a lot of infomation about very specific issues but I don't see much about general strategies or practices. Again, I know I'm lame and weak but still . . .

I searched for stuff like I described above using google but didn't find much beyond cheats which are not what I'm looking for. Eventually I'll move beyond the need for crutches but for now, help a newbie lamer out would you?

Be patient, the game takes awhile to learn because there is so much to it. Read the manual, and use the search feature right here in this forum. Its probably better than any other resource on the net.

Another tip. Don't try to learn everything at once. For me, I didn't even touch planetary operations until I felt comfortable managing my assets in space. This game rewards those with patience and fortitude to overcome its learning curve. At some point, you will feel comfortable with all its features and then its gaming nirvana!

Also, its important to register your game.

quote:

Originally posted by Numskll:

I'm a newbie and a baby. I'm struggling with the learning the game. I wonder if there are fan sites, walk throughs, or other useful newbie information out there. I'm reading the manual and the appendix frequently and repeatedly, though perhaps my reading comprehension is poor, but the game is still daunting to learn.

Which game do you have? BCM or BCM Gold?

Why don't you just do what the manual suggests? i.e. start with the tutorials and work your way up? Thats how everyone learns.

I have BCM gold.

I reckon I'll have to go through the tutorials. Most games you can sort of figure out without going to THAT extreme . . hehehe

This is the first game I've ever played where the 'quick start guide' is a hundred pages long

forgive me my slothfullness

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

This is the first game I've ever played where the 'quick start guide' is a hundred pages long

Blame it on the small print

Well, it surely can't be my fault, can it?

I can get you started on the Fleet system and the way our online community's already been organized. See the (newbie.info) link in my sig. It's over a year and a half old, but it's still mostly valid. It's a very rough overview of the key races/castes, some brief information about them, and a nice thing on the Fleets. Provided the fleets themselves haven't gone through major structural changes in the past year and a half (I don't think so), the information's good.

I had a guide on role playing, but that's kinda faded away.

I found the very first tutorial was all I needed to get me on my way. It teaches the basics and gets you going, the rest is up to you.

Sure, there is a lot to learn about this game but I think one big common mistake is thinking you need to know it all from the get-go. This isn't true. All you really need to know is how to pilot the craft, set waypoints on planets and how to engage enemies. Once you've got that down you'll have time to explore the myriad of other options. I for one haven't even begun to deal with Planetary battles but that's just one more dimension that will make the game even better.

Relax, don't let the amount of information and things to do scare you off. One of the greatest things about this game is that I can pick a destination, begin my journey and am guaranteed that something exciting and challenging will happen on the way. Exactly what a game of this type should do.

You don't need to know everything there is to know to enjoy this game. Just play it with the basic knowledge and the rest will unfold as you continue to explore.

quote:

I'm a newbie and a baby. I'm struggling with the learning the game. I wonder if there are fan sites, walk throughs, or other useful newbie information out there.

Here, this website i have used before when I first started out playing BC 3000ad

http://cowzilla.com/bcweb/

If you find them usefull, please e-mail Chuck and let him know you use his pages, so he keeps them up.

[email protected]

Click on the TIPS button, there is a link to a mini-walkthrough and a mining and upgrading walkthrough.

I agree with you on cheats, I don't use them either, it takes away from the purity of Battlecruiser.

Al.

Powercow's site! I haven't seen that in ages. And Hector's walkthrough. Been even longer since I seen that.

Another tip. After launching set thrusters to max. Not afterburners just thrusters. Use the external cameras to see the rear view and center the planet in the rear view. This will allow you to travel away from the planet as quickly as possible.

While you are travelling away from the planet go into tactical and create your crew assignments. Assign one "pilot" to each shuttle. It can be a marine, sys eng, or flight eng. Really anyone can fly a shuttle. Even bridge officers if you have a grudge against one of them.

Now go to tacops. Assign each of your shuttles a waypoint to deploy drone. By this time the crew members should be in your shuttles allowing them to launch. Since the command craft has been travelling away from the planet this whole time when you launch shuttles they should jump to the planet instead of flying there with thrusters.

A lot of stuff to go through just to save a few seconds but eh I like it.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

Powercow's site! I haven't seen that in ages. And Hector's walkthrough. Been even longer since I seen that.

Wow indeed!! Man, that brings back old memories

Anyone know what happened to Powercow?