Roaming vs Campaign

Noob here. I just finished playing in roam mode for about a week so that I could get the hang of the game. Now I am in the campaign and it's a lot of fun.

What's the point of playing in roam mode when you have the campaign to play? I mean, are there still things to find in roam like artifacts and stuff?

Just wondered what you guys that know how to play generally do in roam mode.

Well... you can finish your campaign mode... and then the game will turn in roam mode letting you explore and play as you wish keeping all your stats and upgrades....

The sheer open ended gameplay in BC/UC is what attracts players to the game, but the same time also putting them in a position in which they ask themselves... where to begin?!

I agree that this takes a little time to get used to, but just go about your business in this virtual world as you would in real life.

Try things and you are very likely to be amazed what is possible in this game!

And if you do need some guidance, play the campaign at first to get the hang of things, get upgrades and neat stuff and then when its finished enter roam mode.

To answer one of your questions remaining; yes in roam mode, the artifacts and cool stuff are also present.

quote:

Originally posted by EbonyKnight:

Noob here. I just finished playing in roam mode for about a week so that I could get the hang of the game. Now I am in the campaign and it's a lot of fun.

What's the point of playing in roam mode when you have the campaign to play? I mean, are there still things to find in roam like artifacts and stuff?

Just wondered what you guys that know how to play generally do in roam mode.

Personally, I prefer the roam mode simply because you can do what you want when you want rather than be confined to a series of missions.

Saying that, I am a bit of a newb myself, so maybe I'm not the best person to comment.

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by Papi:

No one will pay you for the job, but enjoy collecting cargo pods floating in the space. That's where you get your pay

That's not correct, you get paid for towing ships to stations. If you deliver disabled ship to the station with CC you supposed to get paid, at least that what tutorial says, I tried once. That stuff didn't work in tutorial mission... heh

But yes you get paid. And as a mercenary you get paid and rewarded... Supposed to..

I have questions:

1. How to understand Galactic Command Directives and Command Operations and Guidelines?

Note: I for sure can understand that regarding these directifves and guidelines you can build your gameplay the way you like since Roam is free to do anything type. But how am I suppose to understand this:

2. Allocate resource units to build additional starbases, starstations, and defense systems within the Terran quadrant.

Who will build it? Do I have an options in UC to actually BUILD anything? If not does this directive mean - go mine and sell minerals to galcom stations so they can build more.

What this guideline means:

Exploration

As a commander, you are free to explore the galaxy and report back to GALCOM on your findings such as new civilizations, lifeforms, hostile force concentrations, and most importantly, first-contact situations.

Who I supposed to report? I don't think there is anyone waiting for me to report in ANY mission... Confusion.

Alien Nations appendix:

There is talk of a crashed probe located on a planet deep within a Supernova in the Vega Eridani system.

What happens when I find the probe, and is it actually worth it to spend weeks looking for some crashed probe somewhere in the middle of region on one of it's planets... Are there any special devices in game, like some kind of a scanner after which you equip you can receive signals? I mean there supposed to be something, some clues leading to this probe or else it will be a pain which will only makes you frustrated...

Is UC full of surprises? I mean if you play Roam mode there is the whole space opened to you. Do whatever you want, but if there is nothing to stop your attention on it will become bored soon.

For example I started scientist career, but I don't think there is going to be many researches since there are not so many artifacts you can research. And research itself actually has a different meaning in UC. What can I do as a scientist in UC? Can I research new types of weapons or stuff like that? Or class only gives you some bonuses to specific stats?

This freedom scares . You can do whatever you want and actually get lost...

Any scientist around who could tell me anything interesting about career of scientist?

quote:

Originally posted by Meras:

That stuff didn't work in tutorial mission... heh

There you go again. Are you trying to get banned?

The ship you are towing is not truly disabled in any way, shape or form. I forced it to have those stats and its SOS emitter on in order to show how towing and delivering a ship works. So are not likely to get any money for doing so because.....just go read the appendix.

quote:

Who will build it? Do I have an options in UC to actually BUILD anything? If not does this directive mean - go mine and sell minerals to galcom stations so they can build more.

You cannot build anything. The game repairs things that are destroyed (staitions, buildings, etc.). I can't remember if things are repaired based upon recources, but I seem to remember that a station will be disabled if it doesn't get supplies. Personally, I RP that the directive explains why supplies for your ship aren't free.

quote:

Who I supposed to report? I don't think there is anyone waiting for me to report in ANY mission... Confusion.

You don't get any missions in roam. It is completely free form. You can't comunicate with any ship, so you can't report anything to anyone. In short RP, RP and RP....

quote:

There is talk of a crashed probe located on a planet deep within a Supernova in the Vega Eridani system....

Try searching for "Galaxians" or "probe" in this forum

quote:

Is UC full of surprises? I mean if you play Roam mode there is the whole space opened to you. Do whatever you want, but if there is nothing to stop your attention on it will become bored soon.

This is a joke right... The BC universe is nothing but surprises.

A "typical" situation could be: You're attacking an enemy base (on a planet) with marines, fighters and shuttles. In the heat of battle, you suddenly hear "There is something out there". You look around... paranoid... Suddenly a stormcarrier pops up right in front of you beaming over intruders, blasting your ship to bits, while all the time launching fighters at you. While you are occupied with this, a diplomat and a wing raiders jumps into the system...

quote:

What can I do as a scientist in UC? Can I research new types of weapons or stuff like that? Or class only gives you some bonuses to specific stats?

No, no and no. The BC universe is first and foremost a combat oriented game. To be able to play any other class than military should be considered a bonus.

If you like free-form games, I can guarantee that you won't tire of this game. The BC-games are gifts sent from... ...well... ...the SC

Or you could become a raider and blast the $*@# out of anything that moves... for loot. You make lots of $$$ and enemies that way. The possiblities are endless.

Anyway getting off topic, I leave it to you.

I don't like to be a quaker. If I want to shoot things I'll play Battlefield Vietnam, FarCry. I like Universal Combat not only because it's very dinamic but also because it lets you create your own "character" even if it's only in your mind. I wish UC had more missions, quests. Derek created terrific game that let's you do whatever you want and draws you in but he didn't think about creating missions, quests. That's why I wish game could be modded. But it can't. I wish I could play the game long enough. Right now my attention is being drawn by ACM campaign. After I finish it I will be able to have bigger fleet and try to follow directives and establish piece in the galaxy. I'll just try to follow directives and see how it will end.

I wish there would be more missions...

What is the difference between roam campaigns?

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
Hey um, when i go to campaign, for the download version, there only just one campaign and when i finished that one it said, you retired from active duty, and im like 'what the heck?'.

I thought there was more :(

I thought that you could keep playing your save from campaign once you finish all of the missions. I keep hearing that it just switches to roam. If you just retire from active duty when you finish, then maybe I should play roam instead =/

And one other thing, are there any items/artifacts/locations that don't appear in roam? I read that some people weren't able to find the Nightstar with the HSD in their roam game. Thanks in advance ^_^

Here are some things that you newbs probably haven't even looked at.

I have a brand new Roam game going as a GalCom Military Cmdr and have been mining for less than twenty-four hours. My CC is completely upgraded to the top of the line gear, just short of the Artifacts. I have over eight million banked and should have all of my fuel tanks filled to capacity by the time the best gear becomes available. During the current mining session I noticed that my MO seemed prone to running between deck one and the Galley. This was shortly after being boarded by an intruder. I had Resnig search the Medical Bay and they found some kind of aerosol device hidden in the duct work. Examination by the RE revealed it to be a Canibinoid gas bomb. After getting that problem straightened out, we took a trip up to Wraith Station to offload our minerals and were boarded by no less than ten intruders. The Marines rounded them up and put them in detention. Normally, station security will take prisoners off your hands but, not this time. We departed and a check of Perscan showed them all still safely tucked in the Brig.We returned to Wraith and I watched The Crew/Pisoner screen for awhile as we needed one of the FCs repaired. I watched as station security took each prisoner off one by one and immediately return them half dead. I always knew Wraith could be a not so nice place But!!... Gimini! We also learned that Lace likes young Marines as we found the two of them in SC 4, parked right next to the CC. She wasn't authorized to launch a shuttle while the CMDR was away picking up supplies. It was necessary to tractor the shuttle and checking Logistics showed nothing wrong with the vehicle. The only problem detected was that big smile on Laces' otherwise stoic face.

Sure thing Boyos, this game gets really boring really quick.

LMAO ^_^

The Aerosol Canibinoid was the only explanation for the Medical Officer's increased need for food. ^_^ She hit the galley like seven times inside of ten minutes.

The Intruder did make a run through the Medibay prior to damaging FC-4. I always watch intruders closely on Perscan because Resnig is such an idiot when it comes to ship security.

Yes well very imaginative story, but I do fear that for the mind that wants to know the best ways to PLAY the game, it falls sadly short in explaining it.

Wolferz, do you have any other REAL stories about marines, other than the two waves of 20 attacking your bridge. (those shotguns MUST be powerful ^_^ ) Wow, my marines are worn out after 10. Not dead, just worn out.

One time before I started locking marines in my craft, they stole a shuttle, and the stupid guy just sat there! I turned off my PTA's and and in a fury tried to tractor him. I was closing at top speed, and was reckless and I ran into the shuttle LOL! It blew up and brought my armor down to 93!! Sobered, I reloaded one of my saved games and promised myself it wouldn't happen again. But that was a while ago.