Some quick questions

1. How do I lower the "hunger factor" of my crew?

2. When I deploy crewmembers to a planet, how do I find them in the tacops map (I can't find them when I exit and return to the map)

3.Why is there a big yellow nebula thingie in the Sol system?

4. Is there a way to speed up time (in the game) for things like repairing?

5.Does the game force Vsync off? I am asking because I have Vsync on but I still get a "tearing" effect.

Thanks

If you read the manual you'd see the part about the Zoom To button on your tacops screen.

You can turn off the 'big yellow nebula', and all space backdrops, from your Config screen. I turned them off because I dont like them either.

Try running the game in windowed mode (check the docs in the Docs folder). Windowed mode, if I remember right, runs at the same refresh rate as your monitor. If it doesn't have that effect in windowed mode, it might lend some insite to your problem.

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Awesome:

The manual is not very detailed or explanitory. It really assumes prior knowledge.

Really? Good. Now tell me which of the three game related questions above, is not covered in the manual.

This behavior - and comments like that - are NOT tolerated around here. I put a LOT of work into that manual so that people actually READ it.

I'll be waiting.

Woah, relax man. What I mean is that you could have put an index in at the back. Because someone who wants to, for example, learn how to assign crew members to different stations wouldn't know to look for the section explaining the tactical computer.

I have read the whole manual by now but I really learned more just by messing around in the roam scenario.

I believe that you put alot of work into the manual. However, I felt as though it was written for someone who is familliar with the battlecruiser series.

PS.In the "Crew Attributes" section, it discusses artificial intelligence, fatigue factor, life factor, dogfighting skill, combat missions, combat kills, and bombing accuracy. Nowhere is hunger factor mentioned.

PPS. You got your 20 bucks for me, so no matter what I say about the manual it's you who gets the last laugh

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Awesome:

Woah, relax man. What I mean is that you could have put an index in at the back.

There's no index at the back. How does that equate to this?

The manual is not very detailed or explanitory. It really assumes prior knowledge.

quote:

Because someone who wants to, for example, learn how to assign crew members to different stations wouldn't know to look for the section explaining the tactical computer.

If you read the Tactical computer section, you would. You have no business USING the Tactical computer to moving people around, without FIRST reading ABOUT that Tactical computer.

quote:

However, I felt as though it was written for someone who is familliar with the battlecruiser series.

I guess you must be different from the other peopls who are new to the game and who understand the manual.

quote:

PS.In the "Crew Attributes" section, it discusses artificial intelligence, fatigue factor, life factor, dogfighting skill, combat missions, combat kills, and bombing accuracy. Nowhere is hunger factor mentioned.

Just like the missing parts of section 9.2 which are included in the manual addendum, that attribute (which appears in the BCM Gold manual p79) was probably incorrectly deleted when the UC manual was being done. Thats the same thing that happened to section 10.0 for example, and which I included in the addendum.

HOWEVER, had you read p72, paragraph 5 of the manual, you would have seen the discussion about Nutripaks, hunger etc.

quote:

PPS. You got your 20 bucks for me, so no matter what I say about the manual it's you who gets the last laugh

Don't be cheeky. The amount I see from your measly $20, is not enough to pay for my time, let alone aggravation.

Guest Shingen

Derek, I think you might be getting soft in your old age.

Four years ago, you would've never even bothered with a second post.. it would've been straight out the airlock with no time to prep.

*sigh*

I'm just trying to be tolerant of newbies; hoping that they catch on real quick.

I'd rather delete posts, express my displeasure etc than ban people (I haven't banned anyone in almost two months and I'm having withdrawal symptoms)

It takes some time for some people to realize that when you go to someone else's house - you abide by THEIR rules. Most people have this idea that because the Net is - supposedly - free, that means every URL on the Net is a free-for-all jamboree with a fully functional democracy. I guess they never heard of Derek Smart's forums.

Your manual would have been more effective if it were intended to be used as a reference (with an index at the back). If it's read cover to cover first, It is useful.

Also, If i had said something like "omFg ur manual si t3h sUxx0rZ", then you would have every right to get angry with me. But what I offered was constructive criticism. I pointed out a problem, and presented a possible solution. If you think I am an idiot and that my solution is dumb, then you can at least be polite about it.

If you shut down all criticism, then how will you know what to fix in the next patch?

SC I just wanted to let you know that your tolerance of newbs and persistent people is apreciated. Unfortunaly alot of people dont understand the hardships and problems associated with being a game developer let alone the creator.

As for the manual...Looks like we got another person who tries to assemble the bike with out the instructions and then calls the company complaning.

quote:

As for the manual...Looks like we got another person who tries to assemble the bike with out the instructions and then calls the company complaning.

Except in this case I actually read the manual and have offered constructive criticism.

Anyways, this thread has been totally derailed and was useful up to the sixth post.

Thanks to all those who answered my questions