Universal Combat Tutorial Discussions

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by garvoid:

Can someone please direct me where I can get a dl of the tutorial pdf file? The link at the start of the thread does not work, and I can't find that file anywhere on the site ???

Thanks!

garvoid

The direct link to the tutorial is no longer available because the tutorial is part of the most recent patch.

quote:

Originally posted by KevinG:

I'm trying to run through this tutorial and have hit a problem. Everytime that I try to ZOOM-MISSION ZONE-EMP/MIL-CENTRIS00[sBASE} the game crashes. I'm running V2.00.12. Any suggestions?

Please do NOT post tech support issues in this thread or ANYWHERE else on the site (since these issues are already covered). The problem you are having has NOTHING to do with the tutorial. If you applied the patch incorrectly, you will have a problem.

A quick word on the tutorial - it's very helpful. Despite all of your humourous dialog about how often I was going to die, -I didn't. At least up to the point where I'm at now (just after the big engagement in the second star-system). I managed to get through with all systems still functioning, loosing only a fighter or two, so you must be doing SOMETHING right .

I also found it very helpful in pointing out alternate ways to accomplish a given task. That big engagement proved how deep and unforgiving the strategy and tactics of the game can get as well. And how many ways UC will serve you your ass on a plate. Thanks for taking the extra time to write it up.

Just like to add my two-pence worth. I've been playing BC on ad off for years starting with the BC3K, followed by its update, although whilst I followed the development of BCMG I didn't purchase. Having made the jump to UC and finding the system similar though vastly improved I feel like an old commander picking up a shiny new toy spaceship. Haveing said all that the tutorial was excellent and fun to play through. Didn't lose a single man or machine all the way through and learned a great deal about ground operationsin FPS, one of the main areas I was completely deficient in. This game is huge, with amazing scope for the imagination. Once my cash reserves are up I'm going to find the nearest insurgent base and try a three pronged attack. Knowing my military skills I'll get thoroughly wooped but hey Fleet do the flying and the marines do the dying!

[ 08-24-2004, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Jez ]

Nope, I wasn't cheating! I'm not big on using codes, cheats etc. Mind you, I've got my lumps since My Warmonger is currently sitting in lunar orbit, and I believe two airlocks, a turbolift, and a bathroom are still functioning. My crew are currently 'camping' in the shuttles due to radiation. Heh. If I had just reloaded the save, I wouldn't have had the fun of evacuating my crew, and towing my wreck of a ship back to spacedock with a shuttle before an Aestrom and it's fighters got in range to finish me off. I made it, but only just

I guess actually reading the documentation pays off, eh?

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished the tutorial, rushed it though. Saved me from having to read the whole manual. That's my problem in games, I hardly read manuals. I just pop the game in and let it surprise me . Then after days of scrambling about I then refer to few pages of the manual, for the important stuff. I don't think it is possible to know everything about a game, well advanced ones and not pacman. Is it?

It's my first time of playing the battlecruiser series. It is just like having my own Star Trek Voyager and getting lost in the delta quadrant except that i can find my way home in a matter of hours. Nah! Lame isn't it.

Well I'm begining to enjoy the game and it may become the game i play more often. I can't stay awake till 2am to play a game i don't like. All that I'm worried about now is learning the acronyms, nav links, races and etc,

Sorry for the long post. My brain is probably filled with a long dose of caffein from coca cola. Thanks for reading.

• 4 weeks later...

Great tutorial, SC. IMHO, it makes the game seem less daunting to first time players. Heck...I learned quite a bit from it and I've played for a long time!! What's so nice is that there is always something new to discover.

Again, super job.

Gary,

Houston, TX

• 4 weeks later...

I just got this game (I am new to the series) and immediately downloaded and installed all patches (the right way too ) and started on the tutorial. It is fantastic. The document is clear, concise, and very very informative. Rarely have I found a tutorial so well done. Thanks SC.

BTW, I especially enjoyed the humor interspersed with the teaching.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just got UC recently but I had BCMG for a while and the first thing I noticed was that there wasn't a complete and wholly comprehensive manual on the disk. That had me confused as things have changed since BCM, but with the tutorial I should be bak up to speed.

Good work on making a game that keeps you learning something new every day, like real life. This is one of the most realistic space simulators.