Fleet/Ship/Unit AI

jblades

Wow...frustrating 2 hour loss of a game time, NPC AI action I wonder (my fault for not saving at some point before the disaster).

I was milling around the Alpha Centauri system burning time while mining drones go to work and trying to learn the ins and outs of what day ship ops are.

A Firestorm class Raider jumps in and attacks..he is 150km out, so I kill my PTA, turn on the cloak, drop a crab mine, back up for about 50km, turn 90 degress and move away from the mine.

The raider gets withing 80km, SAS goes off and enemy troops are onboard. I can see marines fighting on deck 2, fighter craft number one is stolen...all of a sudden...my reactor shuts off...I try to restart the reactor...I can hear that whirring sound of a dead warp engine in my head.

I check my Radine count in Power settings...a big fat ZERO...I had 400 units on board not more than 2 sytems jumps (3 hours of game play ago)...I frantically check all cargo holds, nothing. All crew members taking an enormous amount of damage and fatigue...limping along at 50km in the dead of space....needless to say a reload was the next step.

Did the NPC troops destroy my entire supply of Radine in one hit?

quote:

Originally posted by jblades:

Did the NPC troops destroy my entire supply of Radine in one hit?

If you actually read the manual, the tips file or searched the forum, you would find that there are no less than five reasons for the loss.

Guest Shingen

quote:

I check my Radine count in Power settings...a big fat ZERO...I had 400 units on board not more than 2 sytems jumps (3 hours of game play ago)...I frantically check all cargo holds, nothing. All crew members taking an enormous amount of damage and fatigue...limping along at 50km in the dead of space....needless to say a reload was the next step.

Yeah, 400 radine for 3 hours?? Not a good plan. You must not be doing a lot of hyperjumping, 'cause I use more than 400 Radine in about 30 mins, with upgraded engines and reactor. In fact, I don't I ever keep less than 5000 Radine and Plutonium in stock at any one time.

Since it's raining here, and I'm bored I'll explain a little about intruders and shuttles (though it's been discussed to death here).

Your main defense against intruders is to have ALL of your marines preped and on search duty except for those that you have in your shuttles, ready to grab cargo-pods, tow disabled craft, deploy/retrieve mdrones or any other general Shuttle ops.

Some intruders will go through your ship and damage whatever they can, and kill/injure whomever they can. There isn't anyway to stop them, except by terminating them with extreme prejudice!

Your second best defense against intruders is to keep you launch controls TURNED OFF until you need to launch/retrieve a shuttle or fighter. Your TO and CO will do this automatically when they reach a high enough AI, but until then, you have to babysit them. Intruders will head straight for your shuttles (and fighters), carrying anything they can grab, and will steal your assets IF they can launch. With no power to the launch controls, intruders can't steal anything, nor can they get off your ship!

Yep, I have read and had usually practiced keeping all my marines on search and I even have 3 in each shuttle. I also turn off the launch control as soon as I am boarded, except this time they managed to steal the fighter inside 10 seconds.

SC I reread the Tips PDF section about "Prevent intruders from stealing my support craft" and see that the answer must be yes to them stealing my Radine. So a fighter has a cargo hold?

Along those same lines, the NPC had taken the fighter but just sat 1km from my carrier. I had attempted to tractor him (tractor lock worked) and then blow him up with main guns but cold not damage him. Perhaps I have not read somewhere about a minimum range on the main guns?

In hind site I should have tried to tow him back to the ship but he was not disabled and I could not seem to disable him.

As for the massive damage to my crew, it could not have been radiation as I had the cloak on for about 3 minutes, I am guessing that since Life Support was out that was the killer.

As for the Radine usage, That 400 units has lasted me many hours before as I ahve relaoded from that point at least three times before and played for an hour or two with barely and Radine usage.

Shingen, you are correct I don HJ very often while palying, only to get the base in system or jump gate. I will test further to see what my consumption is.

At this point I believe the NPC stole the Radine and took it one the fighter (I will look to see if fighters have a cargo hold, never even looked before).

Lastly, NPC ships have a transporter beam range of ?? As I mentioned the enemy carrier was 80kn from me whn I was boarded..unless another cloaked ship happend to be nearby.

Remember I'm not complaining, just discussing the events in order to learn more about it. It's great that the AI does so many random things. I'm just trying to learn the capabilities from previous exeperience...and yes I will search the forums for more info.

Guest Shingen

quote:

Yep, I have read and had usually practiced keeping all my marines on search and I even have 3 in each shuttle. I also turn off the launch control as soon as I am boarded, except this time they managed to steal the fighter inside 10 seconds.

This is why I ALWAYS keep my launch controls OFF, unless I need to use it. Intruders can beam right into your launch bays and take whatever they want if they can launch. In this game, nothing ever happens the same way twice, so you are either prepared or you ain't.

quote:

SC I reread the Tips PDF section about "Prevent intruders from stealing my support craft" and see that the answer must be yes to them stealing my Radine. So a fighter has a cargo hold?

Fighters don't have cargo-holds. Prolly those intruders either destroyed the radine, or loaded it into a shuttle.

quote:

Along those same lines, the NPC had taken the fighter but just sat 1km from my carrier. I had attempted to tractor him (tractor lock worked) and then blow him up with main guns but cold not damage him. Perhaps I have not read somewhere about a minimum range on the main guns?

In hind site I should have tried to tow him back to the ship but he was not disabled and I could not seem to disable him.

There seems to be a certain time limit in the game before you can either destroy the stolen craft or tow it to a friendly base for cash/EPs. Once your shuttle/fighter is stolen you can't get it back. You have to go buy a new one.

quote:

As for the massive damage to my crew, it could not have been radiation as I had the cloak on for about 3 minutes, I am guessing that since Life Support was out that was the killer.

That would be a good clue.

quote:

Lastly, NPC ships have a transporter beam range of ?? As I mentioned the enemy carrier was 80kn from me whn I was boarded..unless another cloaked ship happend to be nearby.

I don't think transporters have a range. I think it happens randomly according to what ships are in the region and what ships are hostile to you. Most intruders come from enemy transports, but they can come from crusiers and carriers as well. They only safe place from intruders is Nullspace and on a planet/moon.

quote:

Remember I'm not complaining, just discussing the events in order to learn more about it. It's great that the AI does so many random things. I'm just trying to learn the capabilities from previous exeperience...and yes I will search the forums for more info.

No one has a problem discussing things here, that I know of (expect maybe Street and Jaguar ). That's why Derek created the site in the first place. In fact, we love discussing BC here!

What gets on our nerves is nOObs posting like they have some new insight to this game, asking questions that have been discussed to death, and then coping an attitude when they learn how things work around here.

No one here wants to answer the same question 50 time for 50 different people. That's why the forum has a search function.

One of the first rules of this site is DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH. If you can't find what you need, ask and you shall recieve.