UC disaster recoverd quick question

typhon

I had UC and was playing for a while when I broke the CD, In it self that was bad enough however I scoured the shops and was unable to obtain another copy, it now a month on and I went into game thismorning and there where three copies on the shelf , oh the relief I grabbed a copy it was under offer 19 pounds sterling or 2 games for 30 quid, fantastic bought it and got home.

The question is having done that should I uninstall the old UC and reinstall this new one?

also should I register this version as the old version is defunct now or should I use a new login ?

[ 10-30-2004, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Cmdr Chavik ]

Having just read my own post I find it is not very clear and could have used a spellchecker, I do not apear to be able to edit it mind it has been a while since I posted here.

any way to clarify

I broke my UC cdrom , I bought another one, should I have registered that in my old profile, to late now as i have done this just wondered if that was the right thing to do.

I decided on a full system rebuild as it was about due so I have reinstalled the OS and updated, now I am just going to reinstall UC and the 2 patches so I no longer need to know if it would have worked with a cdrom that would have had a different Reg number then the origanal it wasz installed from.

Thanks , all done brand new install of Win XP with sp2 after a format of the hard drive so it is all nice, fast and clean.

I was going to wait untill HTL came out but just could not do it the need to play was to much .

filled in new registration should all be done now filling in the system details made me think I may need to upgrade my system soon .

I noticed a few text alignment problems which apear to be driven by the screen res I have set, also it is very dark when I planet fall in a craft, but I am sure I remember all this from past threads of the G4 cards so a quick search will sort me out there.

On a very upbeat note I forgot to mention, I had a hard time getting the game again from the local shop ( game ) and they where telling me that there has been a lot of intrest in the game of late they had 10 copies in on friday morning and there where three when I bought it at ten today.

I also had a few friends at work moaning that XBTF was a bit repetative and lacked depth , they have now been converted to the ways of UC

I love this game always have , I still have the very first BC cdrom and manual. I have always thought as a project this was an incredible undertaking, I take my hat off to you.

I love the new patch features. keep up the fantastic work.

A discovery I have made , I searched for this but did not find it so thought I would post it incase it is useful to know.

After a fresh install of windows I confed my screen res to 1280X1024 and installed Uc , I found on a lot of screens the text was out side of boxes and in the wrong place.

at first I thought this was the screen config and set out to work out what it was, It turns out that in XP when you open the advanced properties there is a setting called DPI , it can be set at teh default 96 or 120 , I had set this to 120 to make the text clear on the windows desktop, I now know it also makes a mess of the fonts in some programs, I set it back to the default and the text in the game is as it should be.

quote:

Originally posted by Cartmanbeeps:

Ummmm. how exactly did you "break" you copy of UC. Ive had software from the late 80's and not one is bad.

Ever put a CD in your microwave for fun?

With something you don't want though, like that Captain and Tenneile's Greatest Hits CD you don't want to admit you have.

Its a cool effect, and most definitely one busted CD.

What happend was my cdrom started taking the cd into the drive when i had not got the cd in place and it scratched/scored it very badly, any way I had heard you could get thsi sort of thing to work by polishing the cd , well i pressed a bit to hard and that was the end of that.

by the way on the CD in a micorwave thing, the fractals look very good however I found some time ago that if you but the cd in a bowl of water fist you can nuke it for longer and get even better paterns, ther is a web site out there some place of pictures of this but it was a long time ago I looked at it , lots of fun though. I get vast amounts of solaris

CD's sent to me so I use them.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

quote:

Originally posted by Cartmanbeeps:

Ummmm. how exactly did you "break" you copy of UC. Ive had software from the late 80's and not one is bad.

Ever put a CD in your microwave for fun?

With something you don't want though, like that Captain and Tenneile's Greatest Hits CD you don't want to admit you have.

Its a cool effect, and most definitely one busted CD.

Ah. Yea. i saw something on that on techtv's screensavers.