UC Pixel and Vertex shader requirements

I ended up buying a Radeon 9200 w/128 MB for under $100. Everything looks amazing... only problems I've been having stem from a sub-par system PIII processor (which I expected.... it's even below the minimum requirements at 900Mhz).

FPS drops from 32 to about 7 when things start to pick up... just a little longer and I'll be able to upgrade my CPU/Motherboard...

...which I knew I would have to do before I bought the game... It's time anyway.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by ThinkAtomic:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

nVidia GF4 MX class cards do NOT have a shader engine

Looks like it'll be a while before i can play BCG.

I just bought this card 2 months ago, can't afford a better card by the time BCG comes out.

Maybe by winter time.

*sigh*

Thank you SC for the heads up.

See if the Store will let you exchange it for an ATI 8000 or 9000 Series, they usually sell them for about the same price as the GF4 MX Class Cards.

quote:

Originally posted by Blerm:

A quick look at CompUSA lists the FX5600 (w/256MB) at about $173 and the Radeon 9600 pro (w/128MB) at about $199.

Is the 9600 better, even if it has half the memory??

From the reviews that I've read, the ATI Cards are beating out Nvidia's.

Hi,

Take it from me first hand experience here. I bought a FX5600 (256mb) and wasnt happy at all with the performance...took it back and swapped it for a Radeon 9600 pro (128 mb)...the Radeon blows the FX5600 away in everything I tried, Halo, Max Payne 2, X2..you name it. I'm not biased either as i have mostly bought Nvidia for the past few years.

Ignore the amount of ram GFX cards have, anything with with minimum 128 mb is fine..256mb is sheer overkill and won't gain you any performance increases.

P.S. Anybody who moans about UC needing a Vertex shader..VERTEX (not Pixel) should get a head check..i have a machine with a Geforce II GTS which i bought in Nov 2000..3 years ago...and it has a vertex shader. Would these people expect UC to run on a 286? or a Spectrum ZX80? No! But the hardware you need and get into the 21st century!

(SC...i'm still waiting on my UC pre order! 27th Feb earliest now for the UK i've been quoted! Plz don't delete my post! )

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a new Xtasy 9200SE Based on the Radeon 9200SE. OK so it doesn't do 2 Billion Pixels per second like the 9600XT, it "only" does 1 Billion, but hey, it's got 128Megs of RAM and was only 79 bucks! at CompUSA, so what the heck. Most important thing is IT ROCKS!! Star Wars Galaxies, the most resource hungry game that I have works great with this, and UC works great with everything on, so what the heck, I'll save the extra hundred dollars that you guys are paying until next year when the 9800XT is selling for $79.00 and I'll buy it then, and I'll still save 20 bucks!

quote:

Originally posted by kneecaps:

Geforce II GTS which i bought in Nov 2000..3 years ago...and it has a vertex shader.

That's interesting because I just replaced my old GforceII, because it didn't have a vertex shader.

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

quote:

Originally posted by kneecaps:

Geforce II GTS which i bought in Nov 2000..3 years ago...and it has a vertex shader.

That's interesting because I just replaced my old GforceII, because it didn't have a vertex shader.

Ignore him. Its rubbish. I guess he didn't read the part where I was saying that nVidia was faking it in the drivers.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Ignore him. Its rubbish. I guess he didn't read the part where I was saying that nVidia was faking it in the drivers.

What's interesting is that My cousin has a Compaq Evo with the built in Intel Extreme Chipset. That chipset also "Fakes" it in the Drivers and he told me that UC runs on it just fine. Of course it's a 2+Ghz System, so I guess it has the extra horsepower to "Fake" it right. The only game he told me that won't work on it is SWG, since it actually checks for the Hardware itself.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by PTBlues:

As posted on gonegold..

I have a gf4 mx 440 that was reported to have vertex shader 1.1 by 3dmrak2001 se and YES the games runs fine. DX9 installed nvidia 40.72 drivers on win98se.

desktop settings had to match the games settings or I had a CTD when accessing options.

I am set at 1024x768 32bit for both game and desktop.

Cheers!

Try upgrading from that 40.72 driver and tell me if you're still dancing.

• 1 month later...

Well, I spent a few bucks and upgraded my system to a Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ system. Thought I would be smart and update ALL the drivers. All of sudden I am getting the message from UC that my card does not support vertex shaders. (I did not upgrade my video card, limited budget) Well it worked before.

So I have read this thread, and here I am. I have a Nvidia GeForce MX 420, and my game hates me.

I sitting here a few hours later, I just read my last post. I did not mean to imply there was a fault in the game. I know I have sub-par video card. I was just venting frustration that Nvidia cannot produce a product to industry standards. This is just another example of you get what you pay for.

What exactly is your point? And why did it require two posts to make?

It is a known fact that those MX cards do not have a shader part. And had you actually READ the damn thread, you would have seen what nVidia with driver based shader support for those boards.

So please quit cluttering my threads with your irrelevant and inconsequential whining. Thank You.

Hello all, i just bought this game and what a shame about my gf4 mx card...if i get me a ati radeon 9800 pro 256 card, will it fit in my computer...i have a pentium 4 2.66 with 1.0 gb ram..?

• 1 month later...

Dear SC,

is there gonna be a patch for the game that will upgrade existing pixel and vortex shaders 1.1 to next generation 2.0 shaders? Or it's too complex and requires recoding of the whole game? Sorry I am not familiar with how bad shaders are attached to the game code. But unfortunately I am one of a graphics freak and graphics play very important role for me in any game. That's one of the things that my fun factor is based on.

Thank you

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have had the game for ages now but as my primary machine is a laptop with a GeForce 460 Go I was resigned to the fact that I would not be able to play the game until I could afford to upgrade the machine.

Then I read this thread about how nVidia faked vertex and pixel shaders in the driver and this was removed at some point in the past.

Now I have been religiously updating my drivers when a new one came out. So I uninstalled the latest driver and put the one that came with the system back on and UC runs YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It may not look its best but at least I can now play the game.

Time to take my Megaron for a spin ¦¬) Oh happy day.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, long time not posted, just waited to put my hands on UC. And i got it today. First i installed it without any troubles, patched to 2.00.00 and then to 2.00.11. Started it, it gaves me error about vertex shader 1.1. Yes i know, i have an old GeForce 2 GTS Prophet II card with 64 DDR RAM running 45.23 drivers, and i was already thinking to go and buy some new card when i just searched the web for some shader emulators. No luck, then i tried 40.72 drivers, no go, i reverted back to my 45.23 and downloaded Control Panel for DirectX 9 in to my .../Windows/System folder. Guees what? Game runs, im playing already 6 hours i even tried multiplayer, runs like a champ And even graphics look great, years better than BCMG. I know it sounds like nonsense, but as long it works ill wait buying new card. Damn, im happy Special thanks to Derek Smart for developing such a great game! Thank you sir!

[ 07-05-2004, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Bob Canteen ]