UC Pixel and Vertex shader requirements

I was on the planets, actually right now im sitting on Zilon and im repairing my "Operations" modul. I hit the ground while trying to pilot around on full speed And somebody mentioned about "blue marble" Earth - its blue where should be Pacific but i can see clearly all of the continets on the planet.In FP like the prone feature, i cant remember if i was able to prone in BCMG. I tried too one of the Instant action missions, with plenty of space ships around on the ground. I didnt tried to get in any of them, while i was too busy to shoot and jump around hehe But really liked the trees and bushes. But one is for sure, no CTD's or any other problems so far. Very stable play!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI. As you know, the game requires a card with a vertex shader. It no longer requires a pixel shader as of the first patch because for cards without a pixel shader, some or all of the pixel shader effects are replaced with legacy TnL effects, some of which (e.g. shields) are from BCM Gold).

The GF4 MX cards do NOT have a vertex shader, but nVidia was [cheating] and emulating this in their older drivers. They have since removed this capability in the newer drivers.

So, if you have a GF4 MX card and want to get the game to work, go to the nVidia website and from the archived driver section, download this driver.

quote:

Windows XP/2000

Version: 28.84

File Size: 6.4 MB

Of course, you use this at your own risk as we do not support it at all.

I ran into this exact problem last month. I upgraded my video drivers only to find out that UC would no longer run. I've reverted back to the older drivers so I can continue playing. I figured nVidia had done something to their drivers, but wasn't sure, so thanks for verifying it and letting us poor saps with 440MX's know.

That's why I enjoy coming to this forum. You can find answers to all your questions. )

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Well this is the first game I have ever come across that makes this requirement. Trouble is, on the retail box the minimum requirement states a 32MB 3D card, nothing about vertex and pixel shaders. Wouldn't it have been better just to say on the box "GFORCE4 MX card NOT SUPPORTED".

One question.

Does the game support GFORCE4 MX after the latest patches are applied, version 2 etc.?

Thank you.

quote:

Originally posted by maccca:

One question.

Does the game support GFORCE4 MX after the latest patches are applied, version 2 etc.?

Thank you.

No. A shader engine is not something the game adds, its something that your card either does or does not have.

Besides, GF4 MX cards are very old generation cards.

Thank you for your prompt reply Derek Smart.

Papi, on the retail box I have it does not state anywhere that I need

quote:

32 MB DirectX 8.1 compliant video card with vertex shader 1.1

It says

"MINIMUM 1GHz-128RAM-CDROM4X-3D card 32MB"

"RECOMMENED" 1,7GHz-256RAM-CDROM4X-64MB+Pixel shader"

So, Papi before you start patronising me like that I suggest you get your facts right.

Thank you.

quote:

quote:

It says

So, Papi before you start patronising me like that I suggest you get your facts right.

Thank you.

You have the UK box which does not have the same wording as the US box which Papi quoted. Thats the fault of the publisher because their US and UK divisions are different. I for one, have NO clue why the UK division didn't just use the information we sent and which the US division used on the packaging.

BUT the UK box (which I have right here in front of me) DOES say that a pixel shader is required. Its right there in the video card box and it says: 64MB + Pixel Shader

A DX 8.1 compliant card (which the GF4MX card is not), implies vertex shader 1.1. And if a card has a pixel shader, then it also has a vertex shader; but the other way around is not true (i.e. a card with a vertex shader does not necessarily have a pixel shader).

I'd go along with maccca on this one the UK Box gives the impression that you don't need a Pixel Shader (minimum specification) but having one is recommended not a requirement.

Not all gamers know what the full DirectX 8.1 or 9.0b requirements means in terms of graphics card hardware and capabilities most like I used to, will think if the latest version of DX installs then it's compatible.

box front

box back

Inlay card

The fault lies with DreamCatcher not BC3000ad or SC.

Dreamcatcher changed the wording and box layout for the UK edition.

quote:

quote:

It says

Thank you.

It seems we both had our facts right. Sorry if I offended you.

Guest Remo Williams

No wonder its thought the pixel shader is not a requirement, but a recommendation. Chalk another one up for DreamCatcher for outstanding business practices sheeesh!

quote:

Originally posted by Pugwash:

I'd go along with maccca on this one the
UK Box
gives the impression that you don't need a
Pixel Shader
(minimum specification) but having one is recommended not a requirement.

Yep.

Thats the same thing they did when they butchered the BCM Gold manual for the UK version; which is why I refused to send them a PDF manual for UC; so they had no choice but to include the full thing that is the same as the US version.

quote:

Not all gamers know what the full DirectX 8.1 or 9.0b requirements means in terms of graphics card hardware and capabilities most like I used to, will think if the latest version of DX installs then it's compatible.

Yeah; let alone what a shader is. We've got so many questions like Where can I download the vertex shader for my card that is not even funny anymore.

Once again thanks for the prompt replies.

Papi, apology accepted, thanks.

It seems then I'll have to take this back to the shop as I cannot justify upgrading at the moment, oh the joys of children.

The only thing I do find unusual though, is how come on every new game I have bought, played and borrowed this year none of them have this problem, if this is now "THE STANDARD" as a few people have said on this thread.

Also, before I sign off, I think I read a post by you Derek saying that if I, in effect, down graded to nvidia driver 45.32 the game would run! Is this correct!

Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...