Drones destroyed on extract

Magnum Milspire

I deployed drones on the surface of earth in a very safe environment and they deployed fine. I monitored there levels on the bc and when full sent shuttles back down to earth to retrieve them. They gave the usual SC1,2,3,4 retrieved there respective drones and the 5,4,3,2,1 countdown till dustoff signal and then departed the earth and docked with my bc. To my horror they did not have drones on them...said they had been destroyed! I have been playing the series from the DOS version to UC and have never come across a situation like this before. Ive done a search about the subject and was not suprised to see nothing about it. I had no intruders on board and the space environment was benign and I did have the RC5 installed. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

[ 02-26-2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

you might want to check the "level" in your drones.

if you goto tactical/SC#/drone/# you will see something that says level in the upper right hand corner of the screen. I believe this is there charge or something, I don't have my manual here at work so I can't tell you right off. but I do know if that number hits 0 the drones get blown up. or at least that's what seems to happen for me. I don't watch my drones generally.

also the drones have a much bigger range than they used to. deploy them WELL into the mainland, as they don't like water very much

also make sure that they are not making explosives from the materials they mine. I don't know if this will kill a drone but I do know it will mess up a CC pretty bad

Guest Shingen

I can confirm this.

It happened to me last night. I lost 4 drones and

2 shuttles doing normal mining ops on level terrain, on the planet Earth.

It was pretty late at night, so I didn't keep a specific save-game at the time.

Is the AE supposed to incur radiation poisoning on the surface of Earth? I noticed this as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

Is the AE supposed to incur radiation poisoning on the surface of Earth? I noticed this as well.

yes it is, he will also get an infection sometimes. this can happen no matter where you are in the universe.

This thread points out one of the very cool things about BC/UC. Weird, what seems like random things can happen that make the world seem so much more real to me.

quote:

Is the AE supposed to incur radiation poisoning on the surface of Earth? I noticed this as well

Why not? I dunno, maybe his suit malfunctioned.

quote:

To my horror they did not have drones on them...said they had been destroyed! I have been playing the series from the DOS version to UC and have never come across a situation like this before.

Isn't that kinda neat? You were thrown a curveball that you never could have anticipated.

I see stuff in BC/UC all the time that makes me pause. I just don't run to this board looking to post what I think is a bug. Not to knock you guys, its just a different way of looking at the game perhaps.

heh, maybe the status check in RC5 which is now accurate is correctly damaging the drone. Drones are just like vehicles. They take damage either on the terrain or in the shuttle.

But I'm going to check this one out later this evening to ensure that the status revision in RC5, has not introduced this anomaly.

And whats with you n00bs and brain dead topics? I mean, dead drones wtf?

*topic changed*

In reply to the spindokter I think that the game is very intriguing and put forth with a passion that cannot be missed, but most importantly as I have observed on this board over the years..the "coolest" thing about this game is the creator. It is SC that compells me to buy every iteration of this game that comes out, without fail. The technical support and patch releases are done in a way that is of the highest standards and like the game, is not your common fare. I think..THATS.. the coolest thing to me... period.

As for my topic choice .. what can i say, It was bothering me lol... my apologies.

quote:

Originally posted by Magnum Milspire:

As for my topic choice .. what can i say, It was bothering me lol... my apologies.

heh, damn n00bs. Hey wait, you're not a n00b!! You should know better!

Anyway, I'm going to look into this now when I'm investigating Shingen's flipped ground units issue to see how best to address it.

OK, I was right about this. The new supposed fix (heh), I did for Shingen's missing drone problem, is whats causing this anomaly. Whats happening is that the drone is collected (as normal), then removed from the game world (as normal), but its status was being set to destroyed (because it was removed from the world by normal means, instead of actually being destroyed) - and thats why the game kernel was showing it as destroyed.

OK, you miners can put the pitchforks down now because I'm about to pack up and upload RC6. Will post a message when its up.

To compensate for the pain and suffering I have re-implemented quick save (CTRL+Q) and it seems to work.